xr1000 issues

(Just got this router a few days ago)
Hi!, a friend gifted me this router because our asus router stopped working correctly but ever since installing the latest firmware wifi and ethernet keeps cutting out

When I first hooked it up, I ignored the firmware update and tested it for a day and didn't seem to have any issues but the moment I grabbed the newest firmware the interface because sluggish, repeatedly kicks me off the router page by forcing me to relog back in even while i'm in the middle of mapping devices, very slow loading any information, and just random drops of wifi/ethernet, and slow speeds on download

Is there anyway to go back to original firmware it came with? or how do I go about fixing these issues, its driving myself and my roomies mad. 
Before my asus went out we never had any issues like this ever....

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Did you enable Armor when you set it up? What device/web browser are you using to access the interface? Are you forcing a connection to the interface using HTTPS?

What modem/router model is the XR connected to? 

If needed you can get the previous firmware version from here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/xr1000.aspx#download you can then go to Settings > Administration and update the firmware using the older version.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

snip

Thank you for the welcome! 
for your questions (abit out of order sorry)
Modem - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXL1AR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"Did you enable Armor" - I was actually never given this step at all. so I have no clue, never used a netgear before or anything with Duma on it.
"What device/web browser are you using to access the interface?" Chrome, Desktop PC.
"Are
 you forcing a connection to the interface using HTTPS?" Using the IP address found in ipconfig.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that, on the Asus make the IP it gave the XR static and then enter that in the DMZ and see if that helps at all.

Oops I am so sorry I linked you the wrong amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DY16W2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is the modem that is connected to the XR1000, there is no asus router connected, thought I copied the right link.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ah no worries, do you know if you require PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers for a connection?

I have Mediacom 1gig, its coax, i don't know to much about networking so forgive my limited experience 

• Administrators

No worries, thanks for the ISP name, looking that up it looks like you don't need any of those which is good. On the XR interface go to LAN Settings then set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No worries, thanks for the ISP name, looking that up it looks like you don't need any of those which is good. On the XR interface go to LAN Settings then set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

By anychance would you happen to know what firmware amazon would have shipped that router with recently? so I can just try going back to that and see if it fix's my issues?, I don't remember the number.

• 2 months later...

I know this is necroing a old topic but I didn't want to create a new one that's this topic would be accurate for..

Coming back now since this topic, has the XR1000 gotten any updates since the last firmware I was having issues with with the random booting me out of interface and the consistent Dcing?, I had to plug my other router back in and I just...want the features DumaOS provides. spefically the QoS 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There is a new version yes, as always do a factory reset once the update is fully complete: https://kb.netgear.com/000064837/XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-64

I read the update change logs for the most recent, but their was zero mentioning  of any fixes involving the disconnecting issues and random being booted for the router page, or was this in another update that got released while I was waiting for fixes?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Xaniene said:

I read the update change logs for the most recent, but their was zero mentioning  of any fixes involving the disconnecting issues and random being booted for the router page, or was this in another update that got released while I was waiting for fixes?

They haven't specifically been fixed by NG as far as I can tell but often a new upgrade followed by a reset can provide more stability so it is worth a try while they work on it more directly