Buying guide - Netduma or Netgear

Tom_

Hi 

Had a quick search but couldn’t find anything definitive.

I’m looking to upgrade my bt smart hub but not sure which route to go. I’ve seen the comments of going netduma if you’re priority is software, vs net gear for hardware.

Is the hardware comment mainly around WiFi support and strength? I’m currently (happily) running a deco mesh system for the WiFi around my house (roughly 40 items, ranging from phones to smart home items) with gigabit Ethernet for the more important things, such as gaming/ streaming pc’s.

Main reason for my purchase is the QoS, prioritisation and possibly the geofilter, I’m on 900down 100up but can see a bit of buffer bloat when testing my connection on Ethernet.

I’m happy with what the deco mesh provides in terms of WiFi coverage and speed and would obviously keep this as it is, so would the netduma give me the best balance of the hardware/ software benefits.

Thanks for reading!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Yes that is right, going the XR route the things you will notice really are improved WiFi speed and range/strength. They are more powerful hardware-wise in general but those are the only things you will notice a difference on. In that case given your setup you don't really need to go the hardware route and would benefit more from the software aspect so would recommend the R2!

Another vote too for the R2. That would be the best way to go as you already have your WiFi sorted and as it’s Netdumas router you don’t have to deal with NG over hardware issues if god forbid anything goes wrong but it’s good to know you have great customer support. 

Thanks guys - one thing I’ve been reading is DDNS hasn’t been present in the past on netduma, is this now in the software or is it due anytime soon? If so I’ll be getting the netduma by the sound of it!

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Tom_ said:

Thanks guys - one thing I’ve been reading is DDNS hasn’t been present in the past on netduma, is this now in the software or is it due anytime soon? If so I’ll be getting the netduma by the sound of it!

We don't currently have that on the R2 but I believe it has been requested before so it is a possibility we'll add it in the future. It is available on the XR routers.