Download speeds much slower after installing R2 router, also having issues with using VPN

Backpack

I have Xfinity xfi as my internet provider and get 800mbps. Before installing the R2, my wired connection download speeds would actually be 900-1000mbps and exceed the 800 I pay for, while wifi (via the 5.0 network) would give about 400+, or around 275 on my xbox. After installing the Duma the absolute max I was able to get via wired connection (QoS disabled) has been 375mbps, and the 5.0 wifi has given a max of 170mbps on all devices. I don't know if this is an issue with the duma itself, or if my xfinity modem isnt outputting the same speeds while in bridge mode. 

Another unrelated issue I am having is using ExpressVPN via the DumaOS. I followed the instructions via Express VPN and downloaded all of the location based open VPN files and got everything connected without an issue via the Hybrid VPN area of DumaOS. I added my xbox in the VPN traffic box and by switching the device type to Game Console as opposed to Xbox, was able to "add service" etc. But now what? How do I change locations via the vpn etc? Does the geo filter now double as the VPN location selection? I tried this and my xbox location via the COD Warzone settings menu still reflects my actual location. How do I actually use the VPN?

Thank you!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

WiFi you may not get much higher than that, it's probably the ISP router hardware is more powerful in that regard. If you take the modem out of bridge mode what speeds do you get wired through the R2 then? Have you entered the speeds you expect in Bandwidth settings? How did you disable QoS exactly?

In regards to the VPN - revert the change you made, when it is added and appears greyed out that means it applies to the whole console. To change your location you would replace the config you're using with another location config. The Geo-Filter is independent from the VPN, the VPN is the only thing that changes your IP and therefore your perceived location. The Geo-Filter just blocks servers and allows others.

Ohhh, so the way to determine what location you use, is simply adding that one location's openvpn file info in the config section? So if I added like 5 different locations file's thatd understandably cause an issue. I will try removing all but one and doing what you said about reverting the device type changes and see if that does it. Thank you!

In regards to the download speeds, forgive me as I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the technical side of these things, but if I take the modem out of bridge mode will the R2 still function? Like, are you saying that a wired connection to the R2 will still work with the xfinity modem out of bridge mode but the router actually functioning as a router wouldn't? Only reason I am asking this is, if I can still use the DumaOS via the router, while not having the xfinity modem in bridge mode, I'll definitely do that.

Also, yes I inputted 800mbps download and 20 upload in the bandwidth settings, and the way I disabled QoS was by clicking the three lines menu icon next to "congestion control" and checking the actual "disable QoS" box.

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

WiFi you may not get much higher than that, it's probably the ISP router hardware is more powerful in that regard. If you take the modem out of bridge mode what speeds do you get wired through the R2 then? Have you entered the speeds you expect in Bandwidth settings? How did you disable QoS exactly?

In regards to the VPN - revert the change you made, when it is added and appears greyed out that means it applies to the whole console. To change your location you would replace the config you're using with another location config. The Geo-Filter is independent from the VPN, the VPN is the only thing that changes your IP and therefore your perceived location. The Geo-Filter just blocks servers and allows others.

Update: I did what you said regarding the VPN and only added one location and it worked perfectly. Thank you!

• Administrators

Yes that would cause an issue so just using one config/location at a time will work - glad to hear you got the VPN working!

Yes it will absolutely still work without the Xfinity in bridge mode - if that works best for you then you can put the R2 in the DMZ (copy the WAN IP shown on the R2 System Information page and put into the Xfinity DMZ function, this ensures you can get an Open NAT through your console while connected to the R2 - you won't get an Open NAT behind the VPN though). 

Okay great you disabled it the best way to test so now just see if taking the Xfin out of bridge mode makes a difference.