Questions about QOS

Harley

OK so I am getting to grips with this and have questions! I have tried to put down on paper my interpretation of the help. Please correct me when I am wrong!

With Congestion Control, if you say set it to 70% upload and download ( just for conversation's sake ) I assume what it does is use the 70% for everything but reserves the final 30% for games? Or is it more complicated than that? If that is true, then how does it recognise a game or more to the point how can I be sure it recognises my game?

With mine, the Auto recommended 99% for both upload and download. That doesn't seem sensible?

Bandwidth Allocation. There is no enable on this page and the Share Excess has gone. I assume that it's always running and is now automatically Sharing Excess? I am a bit fuzzy on how this works. Reading between the lines I guess really a better title which Share Excess enabled would be Minimum Bandwidth Allocated? So if it is at default 10 for everything, it will allocate 10% to each application, but more if there is more to allocated up to the total limit set by Congestion Control, unless it's a game in which case it gets up to 100% ( not that it would ever need it ) .  So in conjunction with congestion control any application gets a 10% plus a maximum of 89% ( in my case ) giving a total of 99%. The remaining 1% is reserved for gaming should it be required. So gaming is a little different in that it gets the minimum 10%, 89% if needed, and the emergency Congestion Control 1% is the system is well and truly hammered.

Traffic Prioritisation seems to be permanently enabled, there is no enable or disable for it? What is "work at home"? I get the point of this but again the question here is how can I be sure it recognises my game?

Also, as a suggestion here, it would be really useful if I could add a device. In the case that I can't for example detect a particular application or game then it would be great to just prioritise the entire device. Maybe this is possible?

For Congestion Control, it limits bandwidth the ensure any queueing on the network is happening on the DumaOS router. This means it has full control over traffic and can prioritise important traffic accordingly. 70% is a good starting point, some connections will differ slightly though. You can make sure QoS is recognising your game by looking at Traffic Prioritisation while playing, the rule(s) there will have a red light against them to indicate that high priority traffic has been detected.

I wouldn't take Auto-setup's suggestion if I were you, it's not as accurate as we'd like currently so we're working to fix that for future firmwares.

To confirm, when you click the three-line menu in Bandwidth allocation, you're no longer seeing the Share Excess options? Can you provide a screenshot? Thanks for the suggestion on the naming, I'll pass that over! Bandwidth Allocation works but limiting bandwidth to each device/application at whatever percentage you set. With Share Excess enabled, devices that aren't using their full allocation will share it with any devices/applications that require more. With Share Excess disabled, devices/applications that aren't using their full allocation won't share it with other devices and as such all devices will be capped at their allocation.

From the three-line menu in Bandwidth Allocation, you can switch to Device view, is that what you're looking for?

Ah OK.

I didn't see the menu items!!

So, with the Bandwidth Allocation with DSE enabled is effectively the minimum bandwidth a device will get? Each device  can get more but the amount will depend on what is not being taken by other devices. So for example if we have four devices that are configured to take 25% each, then they are guaranteed that 25% but if other devices are not taking their allocation then they can take up to 100%?

Oh there is an issue with Device configuration in Bandwidth Allocation. Every time I set values, exit and return they have gone. I did click Update Distribution.

I see the red lights! Excellent! That makes it easier!

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Ah OK.

I didn't see the menu items!!

So, with the Bandwidth Allocation with DSE enabled is effectively the minimum bandwidth a device will get? Each device  can get more but the amount will depend on what is not being taken by other devices. So for example if we have four devices that are configured to take 25% each, then they are guaranteed that 25% but if other devices are not taking their allocation then they can take up to 100%?

Oh there is an issue with Device configuration in Bandwidth Allocation. Every time I set values, exit and return they have gone. I did click Update Distribution.

I see the red lights! Excellent! That makes it easier!

Theoretically yes, that's correct! 

With regards to Device mode, that does sound strange. How are you settings values? By sliding the flower nodes or by clicking a device name and typing in a value? Do both reset after you navigate away? Even after hitting "Update Distribution"?

I was sliding the flower.

When i clicked on a device it crashed, with some message or other.

I'll try again.

I have to say I find the setting really tedious. Every time you touch one part it self-adjusts the rest, which is annoying. It needs to not self-adjust until you hit update or save.

Good news is that if you change it by the second method you suggest, it works. That is click on each device and enter a number. That works fine. Adjusting the flower does not.

I also discovered that if you slide the flower then before you exit the page you just click on one device and hit save then it works as well. So I guess here what is not working is the Update Distribution button.

19 hours ago, Harley said:

I was sliding the flower.

When i clicked on a device it crashed, with some message or other.

I'll try again.

I have to say I find the setting really tedious. Every time you touch one part it self-adjusts the rest, which is annoying. It needs to not self-adjust until you hit update or save.

Good news is that if you change it by the second method you suggest, it works. That is click on each device and enter a number. That works fine. Adjusting the flower does not.

I also discovered that if you slide the flower then before you exit the page you just click on one device and hit save then it works as well. So I guess here what is not working is the Update Distribution button.

OK cool, thanks for your feedback on this, let us know if you run into any other problems!