Question regarding Port forwarding

dpk_ydv

Hello. 

My ISP uses a modem router. My setup is ISP router modem>R2>PS4. I have upnp enabled on R2. The list of ports I see are 9308 and 3074 UDP in internal/ external while I play Cold war.

But when I connect PS4 straight to ISP router modem and enable UPNP, I see a whole lot of ports as you can see in the image below.

432913525_Screenshot2021-09-11at12_24_55AM.thumb.png.23d7304a9a3b9b08ca241f3be88ad0b3.png

192.168.29.1 is the IP address of my PS4 on my ISP router. I am actually confused, since most of these external ports are not even mentioned in the official support page of activision. Could anyone please clarify?

• Administrators

So it's done the same thing, the only ports that have actually opened there are 9308 and 3074 as you've seen on the R2. When there are more than 1 device that need to communicate on the same port the internal port will be the same but the external port will be different - this way the router knows what traffic to send to each device, otherwise you could have PC traffic going to an Xbox and vice versa for example. The device was the only one communicating on this port as the external port is the same as the internal port. For some reason the ISP router is creating additional rules as it sees that it's been taken by a device, somehow it just doesn't realize its the same device. If you refresh the table it might delete them but no need for concern.

TL:DR the same ports are opened as on the R2, the ISP router just keeps opening the ports for some reason but won't cause any issues.

Thanks Fraser. I was thinking that port forwarding would be a better option since upnp confuses the ISP router. That won't be necessary right? 

My ISP uses CGNAT and DMZ does not work on my ISP router. Only UPNP and Port forwarding work. Does double NAT actually cause issues related to hit detection or smooth gameplay? Or it just affects some online functions like voice chat and matchmaking in P2P lobbies? 

My next question is about getting UPNP to work on my ISP router (ISP router>R2>PS4 setup). Can that be achieved or I have to connect directly to ISP router for its UPNP to work?

• Administrators

Port forwarding shouldn't be necessary, it's opening the right ports although in a bit of an odd way. Ah I see, yeah you've got it really, it shouldn't negatively affect your actual game connection too much. What do you mean exactly by getting UPnP to work correctly on the ISP router within that setup?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What do you mean exactly by getting UPnP to work correctly on the ISP router within that setup?

I mean I enable UPNP or DMZ on R2, but it seems R2 is not sending request to the ISP router's UPNP to open desired ports. So the UPNP table on the ISP router is blank, but I can see UPNP ports on R2. Maybe manual port forwarding is the way to go?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

it shouldn't negatively affect your actual game connection too much. 

Pardon me if I am being annoying, but do you mean my hit registration/ lag/gameplay smoothness etc. would suffer to a small degree? (the TOO MUCH part in your sentence got me confused)

I am a solo player and dont really indulge in party chat. host P2P games, etc. 

• Administrators

Ahh I see, well the DMZ on the ISP router would pass all traffic straight through to the R2, that would be optimal. You won't be able to get around CG-NAT without buying a static IP from the ISP but that's what I'd suggest for the moment. It might suffer a little but NAT will mostly affect who you're able to connect to so party chat, etc so should be fine for you.

Its really comforting to know that the double NAT situation won't affect my situation. I have spent hundreds of dollars recently (Gaming switches/ Open WRT routers with cake QOS in AP mode  etc.) to get around this double NAT situation. Now I would just configure ONT>R2>PS4 and call it a day. Thanks for confirming this. 

Surprisingly port forwarding and UPNP (when PS4 connected directly to ONT) give me Open NAT in game. FYI this is the case with most CG NAT ISP's that force their ONT and have no bridge mode. The only thing that does not work is DMZ, as I still get moderate NAT. Netduma Liam already answered my question satisfactorily, but I wanted your opinion as well. Would it hurt if I simultaneously have DMZ and Port forward R2's IP on ONT, and PS4 IP DMZ on R2? I heard that DMZ only forwards unused ports , but Liam said DMZ + Port forward could cause connectivity issues. 

Thanks again for your time. 

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, dpk_ydv said:

Its really comforting to know that the double NAT situation won't affect my situation. I have spent hundreds of dollars recently (Gaming switches/ Open WRT routers with cake QOS in AP mode  etc.) to get around this double NAT situation. Now I would just configure ONT>R2>PS4 and call it a day. Thanks for confirming this. 

Surprisingly port forwarding and UPNP (when PS4 connected directly to ONT) give me Open NAT in game. FYI this is the case with most CG NAT ISP's that force their ONT and have no bridge mode. The only thing that does not work is DMZ, as I still get moderate NAT. Netduma Liam already answered my question satisfactorily, but I wanted your opinion as well. Would it hurt if I simultaneously have DMZ and Port forward R2's IP on ONT, and PS4 IP DMZ on R2? I heard that DMZ only forwards unused ports , but Liam said DMZ + Port forward could cause connectivity issues. 

Thanks again for your time. 

As Liam said I would suggest going with one or the other. Putting the PS4 in the DMZ on the R2 can be done in addition to whatever you chose to do on the ONT but it can pose a security issue so we usually recommend UPnP for the R2 or port forwarding, it's up to you though!