XR1000 - Dropping IPv6

Hi Mods,

• Router: XR1000
  • Firmware: 1.0.0.52_1.0.38
  • ISP: Cox (USA) - DHCP IPv6 support
  • Modem: Arris SB8200 (Restricted from placing router into modem's DMZ / confirmed IPv6 works hardwired Modem>PC)
  • Random Settings: Gaming ports forwarded / QOS on / UPnP on 

Having all of the other issues you're well aware of at this point (slow firmware, high CPU load, 3rd core showing no usage, disappearing port forward rules, etc), but what's really becoming an issue is the router dropping it's IPv6 connection...

Having realized my device had no IPv6 connection (although the option was checked), did a factory reset with no luck. followed troubleshooting from another customer (Link), after fetching DNS from ISP and then enabling "Use these DNS servers" with those addresses and "Use DHCP Server", IPv6 support was kickstarted back online... Like the previous poster, this fix was only temporary (lasting a day and a half or so before dropping again).

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or known workarounds.

I hope this issue has been raised enough to be included in the forthcoming firmware update?

I'd like to preemptively thank you guys and commend you for your diligent work on the forums, super refreshing to see the customer service level so high. Partnerships like you have with NG are part of growth, and can be "unavoidable" in business. I hope you're making those NG teams highly aware of the negative feedback you receive on their behalf while they painfully drag-out product support... It's unfair for you guys to take that heat while they offer next to no customer service. 

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you too are experiencing this issue, it's something Netgear are looking at so we're hoping it'll be included in the next firmware, along with some other fixes.

The user in the post you linked couldn't work it out, but you could you try setting your XR1000 into AP mode at some point and see if you then have an IPv6 address consistently? This is something I requested to help narrow down the issue but didn't get an answer.

Thanks for your support by the way, I also really appreciate your calm approach to the troubleshooting process.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 3:41 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you too are experiencing this issue, it's something Netgear are looking at so we're hoping it'll be included in the next firmware, along with some other fixes.

The user in the post you linked couldn't work it out, but you could you try setting your XR1000 into AP mode at some point and see if you then have an IPv6 address consistently? This is something I requested to help narrow down the issue but didn't get an answer.

Thanks for your support by the way, I also really appreciate your calm approach to the troubleshooting process.

Thanks Liam,

My apologies for such a delayed response... As of now it looks like the 1.0.0.58_1.0.44 firmware update (or something being reset by the update) has solved the IPv6 issue on my end.

If anyone is having the same issue with a DHCP setup - For the moment everything is working as expected when using the get DNS from ISP automatically function, but I've personally had to also select "use DHCP server" for IP address assignment (auto config value wasn't working out)... Of course all of this may be specific to my ISP, so YMMV.

Thanks again Mods for being so active on the forum, great to have a "one-stop-shop" for troubleshooting.  

8 hours ago, jawntronix said:

Thanks Liam,

My apologies for such a delayed response... As of now it looks like the 1.0.0.58_1.0.44 firmware update (or something being reset by the update) has solved the IPv6 issue on my end.

If anyone is having the same issue with a DHCP setup - For the moment everything is working as expected when using the get DNS from ISP automatically function, but I've personally had to also select "use DHCP server" for IP address assignment (auto config value wasn't working out)... Of course all of this may be specific to my ISP, so YMMV.

Thanks again Mods for being so active on the forum, great to have a "one-stop-shop" for troubleshooting.  

Thanks for feeding back! Glad it hear it appear to be resolved now, I'll go ahead and close this topic. If you have any further questions or issues, feel free to open a new topic.