ISP forcing me to use their router

JayT

Hi,

I purchased a Netduma R2 a few months ago when it was preorder and I still didn't even take it out of the box yet, I've been so busy!

This week I upgraded my internet to full fibre (Trooli FTTP).  Trooli is telling me that it's not possible to use any router other than their own.

There's no option to turn on bridge mode on the supplied router, it seems they only allow business customers to use bridging.  They've told me all I can do is connect my router to theirs.

The current setup is this:  Trooli Modem > Trooli Router (Technicolor DGA4134NLK)

I have a few questions about that I hope you can help me with.  If I connect the Netduma R2's WAN port to the Trooli router's LAN port's, won't I face issues like double NAT that I've heard about?  FYI I have a limited understanding of networking so I may be talking nonsense!

Edit:  I've just found in the router admin panel that I can turn off NAT, I guess I should do that?

If setting it up like that is ok and is unlikely to cause issues, please can you tell me if there's any point in even using the Netduma R2?  I bought it because of all the features that are supposed to make my connection better for gaming etc.  Being connected to another router in this fashion, do I lose any of the benefits at all that your hardware/software provide to my internet connection?  Even if the features all still work, if they won't work as well as they normally should please do tell me.

It may be worth mentioning I will be turning off WiFi on both routers as I will be using a TP Link Deco x20 mesh system.  The system I will do my gaming on will be connected to the Netduma R2 via an ethernet cable.

PS - I obviously realise I can't return the R2, I am just trying to understand the situation and know whether I am better off selling it second hand.

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by JayT

• Administrators

Well first of all I'd try just connecting it direct to the modem, they may say it won't work but that isn't always the case unless they've really locked it down.

On the Technicolor you can disable NAT then put the R2 WAN IP (found on the System Information page) into the Techni DMZ. Then connect all devices to or behind the R2. You won't have any issues with NAT and you'll still benefit from all the features

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Well first of all I'd try just connecting it direct to the modem, they may say it won't work but that isn't always the case unless they've really locked it down.

On the Technicolor you can disable NAT then put the R2 WAN IP (found on the System Information page) into the Techni DMZ. Then connect all devices to or behind the R2. You won't have any issues with NAT and you'll still benefit from all the features

Awesome, thanks Fraser!

If I have to do your second suggestion, is there anything I need to change in settings to get my TP Link x20 Deco's to work without potential issues?  There are two ways to set up the Deco's, router mode or AP mode.  I would imagine AP mode would be more appropriate as the R2 has better QoS options.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, JayT said:

Awesome, thanks Fraser!

If I have to do your second suggestion, is there anything I need to change in settings to get my TP Link x20 Deco's to work without potential issues?  There are two ways to set up the Deco's, router mode or AP mode.  I would imagine AP mode would be more appropriate as the R2 has better QoS options.

Yes absolutely, AP mode would be best. That way any devices connected to the Deco's will appear on the R2 as though they are directly connected and you can therefore apply settings to specific devices.