WIFI - DFS

Guest Deng

Hello,

I'm pretty sure when I was going through the setup there were DFS channels available.

Now I can only select up to the channel 48 and have no idea why and where the other dfs channels have gone :)

Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, Deng said:

Hello,

I'm pretty sure when I was going through the setup there were DFS channels available.

Now I can only select up to the channel 48 and have no idea why and where the other dfs channels have gone :)

Any ideas?

Do you have the two Wi-Fi networks mirrored or are they configured separately?

You may not have the option of DFS channels depending on what region you're in, though this may have been visible during initial setup as your region hadn't been selected yet.

They are configured separately.

DFS channels should be available here (Poland). Can I switch the region to check it out?

Plus a minor bug - daylight saving is not added to the Warsaw timezone (not a big deal, switched to Paris, but still).

12 minutes ago, Deng said:

They are configured separately.

DFS channels should be available here (Poland). Can I switch the region to check it out?

Plus a minor bug - daylight saving is not added to the Warsaw timezone (not a big deal, switched to Paris, but still).

Ah OK - thanks for letting us know!

Yeah you can change region in the three-dot menu in the top right, then go to Advanced and then Time Zone.

Changing the time zone doesn't change the availability of the wifi channels, still only 1-11 (should be 13) on 2.4 and up to 48 on 5g.

Can I change the country like in the initial setup somewhere?

2 minutes ago, Deng said:

Changing the time zone doesn't change the availability of the wifi channels, still only 1-11 (should be 13) on 2.4 and up to 48 on 5g.

OK, let me ask the team on this and get back to you, I don't think we would've removed this.

Out of interest, what do you need the DFS channels for? Is there a specific purpose or is this in the interest of optimisation?

6 minutes ago, Deng said:

1 minute ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, let me ask the team on this and get back to you, I don't think we would've removed this.

Out of interest, what do you need the DFS channels for? Is there a specific purpose or is this in the interest of optimisation?

Ah - my mistake, yes we had to remove them I'm afraid, not overly by choice, just to comply with some regulations.

I wanted to switch to one of DFS channels because of traffic congestion in my area, there are several networks around here.

DFS channels (and 2.4 channels 12-13) are available after the initial setup and you can choose one, they disappear forever after the restart.

4 hours ago, Deng said:

I wanted to switch to one of DFS channels because of traffic congestion in my area, there are several networks around here.

DFS channels (and 2.4 channels 12-13) are available after the initial setup and you can choose one, they disappear forever after the restart.

OK, I'll make the team aware of that as that shouldn't be the case.

With regards to congestion, you can still use a Wi-Fi analyser to find the least congested channels in your network and then select those, hopefully that should help!

9 hours ago, Deng said:

If your 5Ghz has lots of neighbouring 5Ghz channels and that would means they are fairly close or you are in say an apartment complex then change the 5Ghz from 80Mhz down to 40Mhz and see if that helps. You can even go down to 20Mhz. That way it cuts down interference as your not overlapping as many neighbouring channels. 
the draw back is it will limit your throughput each step down you take but it’s swings and roundabouts.

14 hours ago, Deng said:

Yep, I've run the analyser and cut down to 40MHz.

Still I'd like to have DFS channels available :)

It would be nice as some extenders in extender mode require it to work at optimum performance plus it gives you more options as in your case. 

For troublesome devices I'm using powerlines instead of an extender, works wonders in my case. Phones have range in the whole apartment so it's not a problem (albeit previous router had better range).

As for the congestion - there are 4 more networks on 5GHz non-dfs range here, all of them are 80MHz so covering the whole range. Strongest one is about -60dB.

There are even some on DFS chans aswell :)