Netgear xr1000 set up

Hi I've just received my xr 1000 I have bt fttp so my understanding is i don't the bt smart hub I just connect to th ont modem now I'm wondering if I nd to a firmware update before I set everything up?

Also do I set it up in dchp mode or pppoe I'm not sure the difference between these thanks!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

When you go through the setup wizard there will be a part where it checks for the latest firmware version and you can upgrade it from there. I believe BT use PPPoE or at least they did, you may need to contact them to double check if you're not sure - alternatively you could look on the BT hub settings and see whether it's using PPPoE or not.

Thanks for the quick reply, so when I connect the router to the bt ont then my ethernet cable to the router from pc will I be able to do the full set up from my pc? Thanks

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Gkear said:

Thanks for the quick reply, so when I connect the router to the bt ont then my ethernet cable to the router from pc will I be able to do the full set up from my pc? Thanks

Yes you will be able to complete the setup that way!

Hi I've managed to get it set up am I'm on the interface I was wondering if I need to login through my browser all the time or can I have it like in my system tray? 

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Gkear said:

Hi I've managed to get it set up am I'm on the interface I was wondering if I need to login through my browser all the time or can I have it like in my system tray? 

You have to access it from the web browser but we are working on a system tray application actually!

OK thats great to hear so will I need to open it everytime I restart my pc to game or will the settings be saved and working in the background?  Also is it correct that I should set my pc as a PlayStation in the device manager?

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Gkear said:

OK thats great to hear so will I need to open it everytime I restart my pc to game or will the settings be saved and working in the background?  Also is it correct that I should set my pc as a PlayStation in the device manager?

They will be saved and will work in the background - you only need to open it if you want to change settings or if you like watching the Geo-Filter and seeing what your ping is for example. I usually recommend that yes and then adding to the Geo-Filter and selecting the manual option.

Hi while on the netduma browser through Microsoft Edge as it doesn't seem to work through chrome I've noticed next to the address bar that it says not secure? My firewall is turned on should I be worried about this?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Gkear said:

Hi while on the netduma browser through Microsoft Edge as it doesn't seem to work through chrome I've noticed next to the address bar that it says not secure? My firewall is turned on should I be worried about this?

It should work fine on Chrome but if it works best on Edge that's fine. It's connecting via HTTP instead of HTTPS, that's why it says not secure. You're not entering any sensitive information on the interface and it is a local device with its own Firewall so absolutely fine.

OK thanks so I seem to have it working fine with the geofilter and the cc I was wondering am I better disabling it all when finished gaming so the rest of the network can run better?

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, Gkear said:

OK thanks so I seem to have it working fine with the geofilter and the cc I was wondering am I better disabling it all when finished gaming so the rest of the network can run better?

That's really dependent on what you and others do when not gaming - if you're streaming, downloading etc I'd recommend keeping Congestion Control enabled to prevent buffering

Hi another question in the traffic prioritization tab I've just selected the default  all devices dumaOS classified games and noticed that the red indicator switches on and off I play on pc through ethernet cable should I be changes these settings to my pc and call of duty for better results? Its only my pc I game on so not sure if I should have all devices selected?

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Gkear said:

Hi another question in the traffic prioritization tab I've just selected the default  all devices dumaOS classified games and noticed that the red indicator switches on and off I play on pc through ethernet cable should I be changes these settings to my pc and call of duty for better results? Its only my pc I game on so not sure if I should have all devices selected?

Does it go on and off while in the game playing or just when you're at the lobby?

Thanks aslong as its working correctly you don't recommend changing the device to pc? Also now my ping heat map is no longer loading after a while I'm getting error operation taking longer than expected?

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Gkear said:

Thanks aslong as its working correctly you don't recommend changing the device to pc? Also now my ping heat map is no longer loading after a while I'm getting error operation taking longer than expected?

As long as its working no need to change anything. Resync the cloud and if it comes up again refresh the page and see if it works

hi so the heatmap is working now i can see all the servers but on the geofilter it is not  showing me any servers i've been trying to connect to spanish server and i just keep getting connected to my closest one in the uk. Should the servers show up on geofilter if its working as they only seem to on the heatmap ive now resetted the router and have the same problem geo filter is blank?

Screenshot_(15).png

• Administrators

Follow these steps to force a game:

1. Quit the game completely - including the Battlenet client and ensuring it's not in the System tray
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Resync/flush the cloud from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  4. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter and select the manual option
  5. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like - you will need to have strict mode on and Ping Assist set to 0
  6. Wait 2 minutes
  7. Boot up the game

Important to note the Spanish server doesn't always seem to be available. If it you continue to get a UK server after doing this please provide a screenshot showing that happening on the Geo-Filter

ZHi, thanks for all the help though I've another quick question,  in the traffic prio tab iv added my pc as game console and selected normal default with wan as I'm on ethernet cable but I've noticed that not as many packets upload as when I had it on th default classified games setting I only changed it as its default is gaming voice or something and sure I read that is only for WiFi? Is that correct which one would you recommend thanks.