Hybrid vpn problem

faceman469

Signed up for pure vpn to add to my r2. Added my Xbox series x to try out cod mw with the vpn. I have a 1gb internet connection and with the vpn on I'm getting 2mbs on Xbox live. I lag so hard that I can't even shoot my gun in multiplayer. Tried UDP and TCP from both servers closest to my home. I only have 5 days left on the trial to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That is due to the fact it is OpenVPN and hardware limitation, although you should be getting higher than that. If you disable QoS does it improve? That speed is fine for gaming as it won't even use half of that, using a VPN in general increases latency so if it's not needed I wouldn't recommend it.

• Administrators

Are you playing over WiFi or ethernet when using the VPN? If you prioritize the device using Traffic Prioritization is it better at all? What speeds do you get if you apply it to a PC?

I'm hard lined into Xbox from r2 . I've tried it with Xbox prioritized and with Qos disabled.speeds are poor no mater what I due and latency is through the roof. I also download the pure app straight into my t3 android tv box to see if that was better and could barely stream IPTV service.

Appreciate it but I've already cancelled the service. Didn't want to get charged for the two years and I tend to forget the cancel part. Will try again at a later date. Thanks for the help.

Update: Ok so I read through these forums and figured out how to put "ipvanish my preferred vpn"  onto the "R2 my preferred router" and it's working great. I do get some lag here and there but it seems to go in my favor. Sometimes I move at normal speed and my opps move in slow motion 😂. But I would like to try Tcp or Ikev2 in the protocol. If I change next to proto where it say udp to tcp or Ikev2 will that change the protocol in the configuration ?

PXL_20210612_013210214~2.jpg

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you explain how you set them as preferred? Yes that will work for TCP definitely, ikev2 won't work as the VPN only supports OpenVPN currently.

I didn't set it as preferred. It's just my preferred vpn service😅 Thanks for confirming how to change to Tcp in the configuration text. I never would have figured out how to get ipvanish working on the router without these forum's👍🏾