High Ping Under Load, Grade of D for the connection benchmark

• Administrators

Okay thanks, I've let the team know to update BO4 for Heatmap, do you recall what the lowest ping server is? You could try using Ping Assist exclusively by putting your location in the ocean then using PA at 30ms

16 hours ago, Bert said:

It's not entirely true.

They favor dedicated servers since it poses a more stable connection for the end user and they can manipulate the matchmaking, aka apply SBMM, one other advantage is that cheats like lag switching etc are impossible. They also do something else, it's called latency balancing. If you play on 10ms ping, and the other players in your lobby play on 100ms. It will simply give you a added latency penalty. This is something else than lag compensation. Lag compensation is simply there so you can actually hit what is on your screen. Latency balancing is actually giving you additional latency, but it also includes forwarding your position on the screen of the enemy by predicting your path etc. This is implemented in FPS and fighting games etc because it makes the game feel more fair to the high ping user. This way they are trying to eliminate any sort of connection advantage. (And this is exactly what everybody in the world is trying to manipulate...) The whole idea here is that if the game feels more fair more people keep playing and buy more copies and mtx and so on. It's also the reason they are more loose with 'ping is king' as in the view of the software developpers there is no more disadvantage so it doesn't matter if you match at 20ms ping or 40ms ping.

On 'peer to peer' hosts, one player is hosting the game. The only thing that counts is your connection to the host. But the player who is host will need to serve 11 other players so in total he needs more bandwidth. The 4100kbps also stems from this. It won't test faster than that because if you measure 4100kbps it assumes you have enough bandwidth to host the game, it's also why it specifically tests upload. For a 60Hz host you could already host with about 1mbit upload (11 x 60 x 1500 = 990.000 bytes, 1500 assumes max packet size) As host you need to send the master gamestate to 11 others, plus the actual host updates are much larger than the clients packets since it contains data from 12 players instead of one. Matchmaking here is done through listen servers. It does not do any form of SBMM at least in recent years. One of the reasons for this is that you primarily encountered this in area's with low playercount. Also, because of the CPU power of a playstation, certain things are not applied like latency balancing, only lag compensation. Also stats are not live updated during the game, ie if you finish a challenge and the game crashes then it won't count since stats are uploaded after the game. This is to put as little strain on the host as possible. The host runs as a separate server on the users playstation and he connects to local host. Because the host has zero ping, there is a host penalty applied to eliminate host advantage, about the average of the other player's ping. 

So actually. In a p2p game only the host is affected by very high ping players because of the host penalty. In a dedicated server everybody is affected because of latency balancing.

In DumaOS, when you are host, you will see a much higher tickrate and a much higher send/recieve rate so it's easy to tell.

Because there is no latency balancing in p2p games, if you have a really good host it feels much faster than on a dedicated server, it's almost like playing on LAN. If you want to be absolutely godlike, don't be host but stay close with 3ms ping. 

The reason there is roughly 9-10ms added in game is that the game measures latency off the UDP stream plus added rendering time. And with a 60Hz screen there is 9ms between frames. At the start of the game the 'timing' is synchronized and it can tell from the packets coming back from the client when it should have been send. That's also how it detects packet loss. The packets from the server are numbered in sequence, so a missing number indicated packet loss and a delayed number means higher ping.

We used to play p2p in Asia when WW2 was the current CoD and had a better hitdetection against playerhosts in India at 120ms than the dedicated server in Japan at 100ms LOL. Because there was only one dedicated server in the whole of Asia with players from all over the place it turned into a laggy shitshow.

MW also changed the matchmaking. Prior to MW, I think BO4 was the last one, the matchmaking server formed a pre game lobby and this was hosted by a playerhost. That's why on Netduma you could see the locations of the other players. The game was then transferred to a dedicated server and the match would start. From MW on this process takes place entirely on the dedicated server. So you que up for a match. The matchmaking server looks at what server suits you best and what players are queing up for that as well. And picks the most suited one.

We play on 120hz screens and with 60hz screens and there's no difference at all on latency or ping ect !!! With what you said... my friend would get the same latency as me because friend play at 60hz and on ps4 pro so less than 100fps...while i play in 2k 120hz with +120fps... we have 5ms difference in ping on our lines... so from what you say we would get same latency because friend play at 60hz and that would add more latency to friend... well my friend lives 10 streets from me... and friend always get 5ms less latency vs me !!! Same results if we test the other way aka friend at 120hz and me at 60hz. Same result if we both at 60hz... same result if we both at 120hz !!!

Also you can disable Cold War option named ''Matchmaking delay'' so everybody on earth will join your lobbies... and even if most people on a lobby are higher than 100ms it doesn't add more latency as you are hook on a dedis so same latency as if you play against people in same ping bracket as you !!!! 

Cold War is the first COD where you barely can track enemies if they don't have higher ping than you... because they did major changes... mostly to prevent Duma Os users to continue having too much power over other non duma os players... so most infos we have are now obsolete because they changed so many things that nothing still works like it used to be !!!

There's a huge difference in What's supposed to happen vs What really happen ... just like upnp is supposed to open any and every ports when needed and then closing them when not using them anymore... but XR1000 is the only duma os router that don't do that and it's been like that for a year now... still it's upnp and it's supposed to work by itself and properly but it doesn't on XR1000 only !!!

Matchmaking doesn't deal with dedis at all... matchmaking is just to balance players that are on a lobby (based on their stats)... independently of that lobby !!!

In BO4 they added a listening server aka a recorder that record everybody and that's why it added latency... and if you ever used a streaming program (to record your show and stream it) you already know it's adding you latency (and that's why most pro youtubers ect now use dual pc configs to remove that added latency from the recorder) !!! They explained that at that time and said it's to help them getting proofs of hackers so they can ban them faster than before... still there's so much hackers/modders and we still have to deal with that added latency !!!

Activision just like other businesses do things in background without telling it to people... so you end up thinking it still works a certain way when in fact it's not anymore (that's why duma os is having so much problems now).

I kind of look at it quite differently and more simply.  I had a Netgear Nighthawk ac router right before this router.  I play cod black ops Cold War daily.  Now I would get occasional lag, not much.  Not every game.  Now new router,  ping is worse and lag is apparent every game on PC that is, where console on my PS5 there is literally none.  So there is obviously conflicts with either the router, firmware or something.  It’s related to this new router as cod has stayed the same.  That’s my two cents.

15 hours ago, thomas14387 said:

This is just insane jumping threw hoops man.  No man I ain’t doing all that.  That’s crazy. 

jumping trew hoops ??.. what you mean ??

There's nothing crazy in doing the proper things the proper way to enjoy your experience !!! I gave more infos just so more people understand how it works and how to deal with these problems... but it's not more job... it's the exact same but with more infos so you understand what to do !!!

Like XR1000 really needs to be initialised via the nighthawk app... not because i say so... but because they added an antivirus into that xr1000 and that broke the usual setup way... by initialising the xr1000 via pc like we used to do with every other duma os router it skip that antivirus unlocking (not activating it) so that cause lots of problems after... when initialising xr1000 via nighthawk app you properly ENABLE (not activating it) that antivirus and it don't cause any problems after !!! It's been like that since the first Alpha firmware prior to public release !!!

I did hundreds of factory resets and setups on that xr1000 in last 12 months to find problems and to find solutions...

I did thousands of factory resets and setups on R1 and XR500 in last 6 years to find problems and solutions...

I'm the only 1 who found that xr500 is unstable and also the only 1 who found a way to stabilise it...

so yes you can say that it's crazy to have to do that much work just to be able to enjoy gaming... but i think it's even crazier to pay premium price for supposed premium products which don't works as expected and not doing anything to fix it !!!

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thanks, I've let the team know to update BO4 for Heatmap, do you recall what the lowest ping server is? You could try using Ping Assist exclusively by putting your location in the ocean then using PA at 30ms

EVERY COD NEEDS TO BE UPDATED FRASER !!! We had only like 3 or 4 days where 99% of COD dedis were properly detected by your cloud... rest of the time there's always half dedis that doesn't work !!!

Screenshot_(1518).png

Screenshot_(1519).png

Screenshot_(1520).png

Screenshot_(1521).png

I mean no offense, but to me if I pay a premium price for something I expect it to work and yes I set it up with the nighthawk app, and yes I followed all the guides and it’s still troublesome.    I’m following as much advice as I can here, but I’m still running into the lag and higher ping issues.  

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, thomas14387 said:

I kind of look at it quite differently and more simply.  I had a Netgear Nighthawk ac router right before this router.  I play cod black ops Cold War daily.  Now I would get occasional lag, not much.  Not every game.  Now new router,  ping is worse and lag is apparent every game on PC that is, where console on my PS5 there is literally none.  So there is obviously conflicts with either the router, firmware or something.  It’s related to this new router as cod has stayed the same.  That’s my two cents.

What is the model of the modem the XR1000 is connected to? Do try the ping assist option. Are ALL devices connected to the XR?

9 minutes ago, DMC_81 said:

EVERY COD NEEDS TO BE UPDATED FRASER !!! We had only like 3 or 4 days where 99% of COD dedis were properly detected by your cloud... rest of the time there's always half dedis that doesn't work !!!

We're aware they need to be updated, they update them frequently which is why some servers are not able to be pinged

On 5/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, madman123 said:

Ps5 cod cold war uses dedicated servers for 40 player multi team games but the 6v6 multiplayer is peer to peer. 

I haven't noticed that 6v6 is using peer to peer. On zombies there is definitly peer to peer connection, showing host migration.