Can I add a XR1000 as a second router on my network?

Let me explain.

I purchased a XR1000 about a month ago and ended up returning it because I experienced a fair share of issues. With that said, I love DumaOS and would like to utilize it while still keeping my Amplifi HD (current router) as the main router. Ideally, I’d like keep the Amplifi HD in charge of DHCP and everything Wi-Fi related. My thought is that I’d utilize the XR1000 to solely connect the Ethernet cable that runs into my office where I’d hard wired my computers. 

One thing the Amplifi HD lacks is QoS with wired devices, so it’d be important for me to utilize the XR1000 for this. Is what I’m trying to achieve possible? How would I go about this? Would I connect the XR1000 to my modem, then plug my office Ethernet + Amplifi HD? I have two switches also, one that’s connected to the router and then another in my office. What would these connections look like? Is there anything I should be mindful about that I may be missing in this configuration? 

Thanks in advance! 

Does the HD allow DMZ, I had a look but I’ve a feeling it might not which means you are going to hit firewall issues.

Unifi stuff can be a bit iffy with other devices. I’m not sure if the xr1000 handling the HD will work well that way either and it might be a tad messy at handling QoS. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It is possible but it won't be ideal. As above, you could run into Firewall/NAT issues. If the modem is a pure modem then you wouldn't be able to connect both at the same time. Also as devices won't all be able to be controlled by the XR then QoS won't work as effectively.

Thank you both for your answers! This wasn’t what I wanted to hear as it would’ve been a simple workaround for me to utilize DumaOS. Is there something similar to this setup that would allow me to utilize the XR1000 (or another DumaOS system) for only my devices in my office? I want something more reliable for Wi-Fi than what I’ve experienced.

I’ve been have A LOT of home networking issues the past few months and the two XR1000 I tried, gave me worse experiences than the Amplifi HD. It would be awesome to find a way for me to use DumaOS as this is mostly business use and having the DumaOS features at my disposal would be a game changer. 

Thank you! 

• Administrators

If you connect the XR to the modem as mentioned and then have switches/Amplifi off that then you can use DumaOS and be able to control the network. You can disable the XR WiFi if you then prefer

6 hours ago, Newfie said:

Was it coverage issues with the XR1000? 

Two main issues. One issue I experienced twice is that when arriving to DumaOS, the router had me reconfigure the settings all over again as if it were being setup as new. Even though I had already configured everything. The other issue I experienced was that some devices would lose access to the internet even though other devices would still be connected. For example, I created a static up for my gaming computer and at one point lost internet connection on it, while my other pc was still connected during that time. I did lack coverage as well but I’m sure I could’ve figured something out for that. 

47 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you connect the XR to the modem as mentioned and then have switches/Amplifi off that then you can use DumaOS and be able to control the network. You can disable the XR WiFi if you then prefer

Let me make sure that I’m following here. 

You’re saying if I connect the XR to my S33 modem, then connect a switch to the XR and have the Amplifi connected to that switch I’d be in good shape? So it’d be S33>XR>Switch1>Amplifi and Switch2 would be connected to Switch1? In this scenario would the XR control all hard wired devices and Amplifi would take care of wireless devices?

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, GloryJean said:

Let me make sure that I’m following here. 

You’re saying if I connect the XR to my S33 modem, then connect a switch to the XR and have the Amplifi connected to that switch I’d be in good shape? So it’d be S33>XR>Switch1>Amplifi and Switch2 would be connected to Switch1? In this scenario would the XR control all hard wired devices and Amplifi would take care of wireless devices?

Yes you could do that, or connect the Amplifi direct to the XR. If you put the Amplifi in AP mode if possible then the XR would see all devices on the network regardless of whether they're connected to a switch or the Amp and can apply settings to those individual devices.