Modem vs BT and BT sport

Gt190

hi I have just got the netduma r2 and I have a few questions: 

1) I think i could get faster speeds using a separate modem to connect to the r2 instead of the home hub. Would this one work? Draytek vigor 130 ADSL and VDSL (FTTC/BT infinity)

2) currently my BT sport channels will not work unless the power line adaptor is plugged directly into the BT hub. I have DMZ enabled already on the router but for the sports channels it doesn’t like going via the r2. Have you seen this issue before? 

3) I also have the xr500, what is the difference with that compared with the r2. Understand the duma 3.0 is is in beta for that one, I’ve heard the hardware is better but what does that mean in practise Mainly using the Duma to get better ping / speeds when gaming. 

The modem with BT does effect your syn speeds. Normally it’s best to match the chipset to the cabinet but with less options out there it’s slowing getting harder when it comes to copper lines.

I recently tried the Vigor 166 which hammered my line from 62mbps to 48mbps and I’ve just regained the speed after swapping back to my old HG612. There is issues with the 166 hence the large fall but normally a smaller drop or increase will happen depending on the chipset match. 

Somtimes it’s better the devil you know.

The R2 might not have to spec of the 500 but it is Netdumas baby and you could try one and use the XR500 as an access point to take advantage of the wave 2 WiFi which quite a few do. 

no idea on the sports channels, hopefully someone maybe able to help that side. 

23 hours ago, Newfie said:

The modem with BT does effect your syn speeds. Normally it’s best to match the chipset to the cabinet but with less options out there it’s slowing getting harder when it comes to copper lines.

I recently tried the Vigor 166 which hammered my line from 62mbps to 48mbps and I’ve just regained the speed after swapping back to my old HG612. There is issues with the 166 hence the large fall but normally a smaller drop or increase will happen depending on the chipset match. 

Somtimes it’s better the devil you know.

The R2 might not have to spec of the 500 but it is Netdumas baby and you could try one and use the XR500 as an access point to take advantage of the wave 2 WiFi which quite a few do. 

no idea on the sports channels, hopefully someone maybe able to help that side. 

ok thanks i actually have a HG612 so i was thinking either:

- HG612 + XR500

- HG612 + R2

- BT Hub   + R2

do you know which one of the above would be best? my internet only gets around 70mb download FYI.

ideally wouldnt keep the R2 and the XR500 as they are expensive.

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Good advice above. Regarding BT Sport, did you previous have this connected to the XR500 and did it work that way?

i havent set up the xr500, i got it at the same time as the r2 and was going to try them both but the netduma didnt work with the smart hub so have left it so far.

current i am using the r2 for all wifi, but bt sport is powerlined from the smart hub to the tv. if i try to use duma r2 to powerline to the tv the bt sport channels do not work.

so everything else goes via the r2 except for the sports channels currently, it isnt ideal but it seems that there is something else that happens there.

52 minutes ago, Newfie said:

I’ve used my HG612 with both the XR500 and R2 and never had any issues.

Does hg612 require any setup or just plug in and it should work? Maybe have to enter the pppoe details 

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's possible they will require you to go through the hub for TV, I'd keep the setup as you have it now and add the XR on the back of the R2 in AP mode. 

Ah ok so if I used the hg612 and router only the tv might not work you mean 

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Gt190 said:

Ah ok so if I used the hg612 and router only the tv might not work you mean 

Yes exactly, I don't know for certain, I've never had BT or their TV package but some ISPs do require the two to be connected. Newfie may know more about that one.

I’m not sure about the BT tv package, I’ve never used it so I’m not sure what’s involved there. 

The HG612 should be just plug in and no setup as default. You enter your PPPoE details in the R2 so your BT primary email and password can be anything so I use BT. 
try not to mess with the modem too much as too many reconnections can be picked up as a line error and can mean your line throughput is lowered. The line will pickup on the change of modem and alter too, may take a while to settle. 

Its taken a month for my line to recover when I changed from a Vigor 166 back to the HG612. 

for more info on the BT sports package their forums might be able to help. 
https://community.bt.com

Worth posting there so you know if a modem is the best way to go.