UPnP/NatPmP Protocol Failing

patnj

All my devices, are unable set any ports using uPnP.

Some report along the lines of; Port forwarding rules could not be applied. Please restart UPnP/NatPmP protocol on the router or restart the router.

I have rebooted, turned QoS and Geo Filter off, turned off uPnP and used Port forwarding, have given affected devices fixed IPs, but nothing works.

Using .205 firmware, have already factory reset via button at back of router, but still no joy.

20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is your exact physical setup - how are the devices connected to the router, directly through ethernet or WiFi or through a switch to the router for example? Does UPnP show any entries?

Most devices via a Gigabit switch to the router and 2 affected devices directly to the R2. Forgot to mention in the last post, that my setup worked completely fine with .179.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great thanks for the info, what is the model of the modem/router the R2 is connected to?

ZTE Fibre ONT connected directly to R2 (using PPPOE for authentication).

Im using an Xbox Series X console.

It reports NatType: Strict

This is shown on the XBox Network Setting page. Same message is shown if I use the "Test NAT" option.

The other device is my Synology home server. They have an app which automatically sets up the router uPNP for their Photo/Video apps. It first test that the router is compatible, which it reports as "passed", then tries to setup the ports. This then returns a pop-up message "Port forwarding rules could not be applied. Please restart UPnP/NatPmP protocol on the router or restart the router."

Also, as I mentioned earlier, all was ok before updating the firmware.

Your earlier question on the fibre modem, does this up stream router, which the R2 connects to, also play a part in whether uPNP works on the R2 ?

BTW, nothing is shown on R2 under the uPNP tabs. This normally shows the ports that have been opened

Hi Fraser,

I have just got off a call with my ISP and they have recently moved to CG-NAT (whatever that means) which they feel would not work with the uPNP on the R2.

They said they need to give me a static public ip, which they are going to do, which in their opinion will resolve this issues.

Not knowing much about this, do you feel this recent ISP change could be the cause ??

Should I wait for this change, before carrying out the test you have suggested?

BTW..not sure if the ISP change happened around the same time as the firmware update.

Thanks

• Administrators

Interesting, the CG-NAT is almost certainly cause of the issue and potentially may cause some issues with games down the line. Essentially you're double NAT'd. However, the fact they're willing to give you a static public IP may be your lifeline here so I'd wait an see what your NAT is like once that is applied.

Hi Fraser,

All sorted...fixed IP has resolved the issue. Thank you for you help and support, especially on a Sunday...greatly appreciated and a real testament to NetDuma’s customer support philosophy and sorry for the late diagnosis from my side (ISP issue)