Does Youtube data traffic can be recognized?

Murong

Hi,

I use a XR1000 in my home and I have 2 PCs.

I use PC_1 to download Apex Legend by Origin and PC_2 to watch YouTube 4K video at the same time.

My YouTube buffer health is going down and down while Apex is downloading.   

By XR1000 Web GUI, I found that the YouTube data packets are classified as UNKNOWN.

Does anyone meet this situation too?

However, when I enter the https://www.youtube.com, some packets are classified as YouTube.

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest enabling QoS and prioritising your second PC, this will reduce the speeds at which Apex is downloaded a bit, but it will ensure YouTube can run smoothly.

To do this, go to QoS and scroll down to Traffic Prioritisation, then add a rule for your second PC and select YouTube.

Hi,

Let me use a video to explain what I meet. I use subtitle to explain what I observed about "YouTube" packets.

I think most YouTube packets are classified as "unknown".

There is no "unknown" category, so no bandwidth allocated for "unknown" traffic, right?

I think if any other application can be recognized by QoS, its traffic priority will be higher than "unknown".

In this situation the YouTube buffer will be lower and lower. 

If my operation is not correct or misunderstand the functions of XR1000, please let me know. I appreciate your help very much.

Thanks for the video, that was really useful!

I've looked into this a little bit and it appears that our DPI isn't quite detecting YouTube traffic properly. I've spoken with the team and we're going to look into this and have it resolved, in the mean time a good work around would be to either use the suggestion I mentioned earlier, or manually specify ports for YouTube in the advanced setup of a Traffic Prioritisation rule.

Hope that helps!