XR500 Reset itself overnight?

I woke up to no internet in my house.  I realized that when i logged into my XR500, it was treating as it was a new router and asking to go through the setup again.  My config was wiped but the router was on the same firmware (i disabled auto firmware updates after being plagued with problems having this on).

Any idea what would cause this "reset"?    

I have a power monitor system and in the logs there was no power loss.  I lost internet at 5:21 but no power loss detected.

I tried both unplugging and using the gui.  Neither worked until i did a reset using the button. I then rebooted it again, waited the horrible 10 minutes for it to come back (Gawd, i wish this could be fixed) and reloaded my config and then rebooted again.  It seems OK now.

Either way, why would a power loss cause it to completely reset the config?  That makes zero sense to me.  I have had power losses before and its never done that.  I'm still on the older firmware as any new one i've tried is completely unstable for me.  Stability is most important so i've had to stick with it.

• Administrators

That is very odd then. It definitely shouldn't be taking 10 minutes to boot up properly. This is the latest and most stable firmware in my opinion - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/m-p/2073553 could you try it please, factory reset after, see if it boots up quicker and if the error disappears. Do not restore you config on that version.

1 hour ago, turbosi92 said:

I have a power monitor system and in the logs there was no power loss.  I lost internet at 5:21 but no power loss detected.

I tried both unplugging and using the gui.  Neither worked until i did a reset using the button. I then rebooted it again, waited the horrible 10 minutes for it to come back (Gawd, i wish this could be fixed) and reloaded my config and then rebooted again.  It seems OK now.

Either way, why would a power loss cause it to completely reset the config?  That makes zero sense to me.  I have had power losses before and its never done that.  I'm still on the older firmware as any new one i've tried is completely unstable for me.  Stability is most important so i've had to stick with it.

Power loss is the number one killer for routers or causing corrupted memory. If memory serves me well I believe the flash ram holds the boot up info so it could be corruption there and it may linger. If you update to 3.0 and still have the issue then TFTP would be the next step and if after that it keeps resetting itself I would say it’s a hardware issue.

3 hours ago, Newfie said:

Power loss is the number one killer for routers or causing corrupted memory. If memory serves me well I believe the flash ram holds the boot up info so it could be corruption there and it may linger. If you update to 3.0 and still have the issue then TFTP would be the next step and if after that it keeps resetting itself I would say it’s a hardware issue.

I'm sure it is but being there was no known power outage and it was on a UPS back, i find it hard this is what happened.  There is nothing in the UPS logs showing an outage either.  

Everytime i've tried to update the firmware its been a nightmare.  Even after resets.  I've posted about that in another thread.  I've had to go back to the old .56 firmware.  So far, its the only one stable enough to use.  

I haven't as its such an undertaking to get me backup where i was since i have a pretty custom config.  I did try 114 ( i think thats what it was) and it was pretty awful...dropping internet a few times a day.  Thats when i gave up and went back to .56.

I'll see if i can load this one this week....

Update

During the day today while in a meeting the router decided to reset it self again.  Decided to load the 120 firmware on it and give it a go.  so far so good.  Reboots are less than 2 minutes total, UI is WAY Faster.  I had to adjust the speeds as it was limiting me during my speed/ping testing through DSLreports.  I have a GB symetrical connection and i was only getting 100/100.  Turns out i had to change the speed in congestion control.  Much better

image.png.cfcf547b9e5cc941b1f63c8f6cad36a0.png

image.png.e68a6d4c6e439788d2f66c0161f435c5.png

Is the speed test in the new firmware reliable?  so far, i keep getting this. lol
image.png.2eca8f24585ed6c1c0667ab549f196c6.png

• Administrators

Great to hear it is better for you now! 

The speedtest part of CB it still under improvement so may not always accurately reflect your speeds. Ping and Ping under load should be better - they use the Google server 8.8.8.8 to get the ping stats.