Wifi slower than isp router

ScottiiB

So I just got my netduma r2 today and hooked it up got internet linked to it and ran a speed test for lan I am getting about 320-330 mbs download so what I normally would get from my isp router but with wifi I am getting like 240-250 and with my isp I would usually get the same as my lan. Is there a setting I'm missing that is causing this wifi drop? I am doing the speed test on my PC that's lan lined to the router vs a cell phone but that never was an issue before with my isp router.

To be fair that’s about average at the moment while they work at improving the WiFi.

the chances are your isp router might have been a wave 2 device so will achieve a better WiFi connection. As it’s a 866 connection rate on the 5Ghz you can normally say you will see a 40 to 60% throughput so 340mbps would be a nice achievable rate but a lot depends on the environment as the R2 is a wave 1 router so you don’t have beamforming if memory serves me right and will not compete with wave 2 routers.

You might need to use a WiFi  analyser to see if you can find the cleanest channel. Double check the 5Ghz is set to a bandwidth of 80Mhz and insure the router is away from EMI sources ie. not behind a tv or sat on electrical appliances.  
you might be able to nudge that up a little but don’t forget as you distance yourself from the router you will see performance drop. 

8 hours ago, ScottiiB said:

So I just got my netduma r2 today and hooked it up got internet linked to it and ran a speed test for lan I am getting about 320-330 mbs download so what I normally would get from my isp router but with wifi I am getting like 240-250 and with my isp I would usually get the same as my lan. Is there a setting I'm missing that is causing this wifi drop? I am doing the speed test on my PC that's lan lined to the router vs a cell phone but that never was an issue before with my isp router.

Welcome to the forum!

Great answer from Newfie. We are indeed working on the performance of Wi-Fi so that should only improve, for the moment though your speeds are within what we would expect. If you experience any issues just let us know. 

• 7 months later...

Best bet would be to go hard wired if possible. I myself can voucher that net duma wifi performance isnt as good as everything else with the router but i know from previous posts and talks with Liam and Fraser that they are working on improving that. 

To be fair the WiFi when you are within coverage is not that bad. Here’s an example of testing over WiFi with an iPad Pro and I had PingPlotter in the background of a wired connection to double check how it was performing. Thinkbroadband test is not too bad and saturating my connection checking QoS resulted in 19ms top latency. Yes there will be latency over WiFi which has improved as you work your way onto new AX routers but I can game happily on the R2’s WiFi. 
Now there’s mileage as it depends on your environment and placement of the router but I would say the simple test I did shows it’s pretty damn good when working in partnership with the software. It’s one of the best QoS systems out there compared to many others. 

Here’s another one I just chucked together while I enjoy a coffee. R2 with iPad running the PingPlotter mobile app on wifi.

first part is with QoS on and you can see me turn it off and then run the speed test again and you can watch the end result. Really impressive results with the QoS on. It’s running on the 5Ghz band at around 15ft away through a nice brick wall.