XR500 with HG612 or BT Smart Hub 2

Hi there, 

Apologies if this has been answered in the past but I can't find a specific answer to my query.

I just recently bought the XR500 and I'm wondering what the optimal set up is.  I have access to an unlocked HG612 and my BT Smart Hub 2.  Which am I best to use?  If I use the HG612 should I let the XR500 handle the PPPoE or get the HG612 to do it.

Any tips on the set up would be most appreciated.  I'm currently on (non-beta) V2.3.2.114 firmware.

Cheers!

I had the XR500 and the HG612 and it was fine. With the home hub you don’t get a choice of chipset so you could end up gaining or losing throughput and you will need to opt out of BTfon if you are concerned people use that. 
Personally I’ve not used a homehub for years and have various routers and it’s the way I prefer as it’s so simple.

35 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Either should be fine but where possible I'd suggest having the routers handle PPPoE instead of the XR,

Hi, thanks!

So just to clarify, when you say let the routers handle the PPPoE you mean either the HG612 or the Smart Hub?

I currently have it set up with the Smart Hub and I have wifi, UPnP and firewall turned off on the the hub and the IP for the XR500 in the DMZ on the Smart Hub.  On the XR I changed the connection type from DHCP to Static in order to keep the IP address the same.  Is that ok? 

Anything else I should do to optimise?

28 minutes ago, Newfie said:

I had the XR500 and the HG612 and it was fine. With the home hub you don’t get a choice of chipset so you could end up gaining or losing throughput and you will need to opt out of BTfon if you are concerned people use that. 
Personally I’ve not used a homehub for years and have various routers and it’s the way I prefer as it’s so simple.

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I'm not 100% on what you mean by having various routers.  

From what you said about chipset then as I understand it the chipset in the modem should ideally match the cabinet.  To the best of my knowledge my cabinet is a Huawei model therefore using the HG612 and setting it up to handle the PPPoE would be your recommendation?  Are you able to help me out with the settings as in what I need to change to go from bridged mode to PPPoE on the HG612.

The HG612 should be in modem mode, you simply plug it in and that’s it, no settings are required. You then plug the the XR500 so from the HG612 to the XR500 wan port. The XR500 will handle the PPPOE so you just put your bt email address and any password you like, I use BT as mine and hey presto it’s up and running. You will need to rest the XR500 if it’s setup with the home hub, best start fresh.

you don’t want to be turning the modem or the homehub off to much as the line will pick it up as a fault and lower your speed. 

By various routers, I mean I have Netdumas, Netgear and Ubiquiti and the HG612 works well on them all. 

6 minutes ago, Newfie said:

The HG612 should be in modem mode, you simply plug it in and that’s it, no settings are required. You then plug the the XR500 so from the HG612 to the XR500 wan port. The XR500 will handle the PPPOE so you just put your bt email address and any password you like, I use BT as mine and hey presto it’s up and running. You will need to rest the XR500 if it’s setup with the home hub, best start fresh.

you don’t want to be turning the modem or the homehub off to much as the line will pick it up as a fault and lower your speed. 

By various routers, I mean I have Netdumas, Netgear and Ubiquiti and the HG612 works well on them all. 

Ah ok, yeah I had the HG612 set up like that before but I was just wondering about Fraser's comment about not using the XR500 for PPPoE?  Is that not the case with the HG612?

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Mondezz said:

Hi, thanks!

So just to clarify, when you say let the routers handle the PPPoE you mean either the HG612 or the Smart Hub?

I currently have it set up with the Smart Hub and I have wifi, UPnP and firewall turned off on the the hub and the IP for the XR500 in the DMZ on the Smart Hub.  On the XR I changed the connection type from DHCP to Static in order to keep the IP address the same.  Is that ok? 

Anything else I should do to optimise?

Yes that is absolutely fine, nothing else you would need to do on the hub there, just start using the XR features.