Low internet speed on xr500?

This comes up a lot in my searches, so I have followed the troubleshooting. Hoping for a better fix than buying a new router, since I am out of warranty.

Setup:

• My modem gets me ~400-500mbps down, 12 up to my PC as my baseline test. I pay for ~400mbps. 
  • 3 Ethernet cables used to test the speed from modem to PC 
  • Same three cables used to connect modem to router to PC and PS5
  • MB8600 modem
  • XR500 router

After a router factory reset I get ~475mbps (screenshot). Disabling QoS and speedtesting through my PC I get ~150mbps (screenshot), and my PS5 will get ~470mbps on its speedtest (indicating the router is putting through the correct speed to at least one device). Swapping ethernet ports or cables on the back of the router provides the same results. 

With QOS on, I will get 150 to the PC and 150 to the PS5. 

Regardless, turning QOS off again, the PS5 drops to ~300mbps and PC stays the same. 

Any idea what is causing this? Its making troubleshooting with comcast a real PITA. 594435832_DumaOSsetup.png.dbb8d25fb6374a4c4605f40afbde37cd.png

QOS.png

PC Speedtest.png

Overnight, so I am not sure. I unfortunately didnt set up the scheduled connection testing in the router. Maybe let that run hourly for a while?

Oh, I did also rename my Playstation from "unknown device" to "Playstation 5" and listed it as a games console. That and QoS disabled were the changes after a factory reset. 

edit again. I was troubleshooting some stuff (so I wouldnt look like a doofus) in advance of some techs from the ISP coming out to test their equipment because of my complaints this AM early, and found this issue with the router, so I postponed their service while I try to sort out what the issue is with the router. 

Just following up. With QOS off, I havent had a drop in output from the modem to the router, but my PS5 fluctuates pretty wildly (between full bandwidth, and 160mbps). I do see some drops in "speed" (1am, 4am and 10:20, right before this post), so I am wondering it is more likely that between tests my bandwidth is crashing, and thats what I notice when I speedtest on the PS5?

Regardless, with QOS off, I still cant get above 160 on my PC, even while the PS5 has close to 400. Like I said, I get ~400 direct to the modem on my PC, so it doesnt seem like a driver or PC hardware issue. 

Finally, if I turn QOS on, all my speeds drop to ~160. 

1106976022_2021-02-2510_26_13-ConnectionBenchmark-DumaOS.thumb.png.44b3f2e9f1da2b3b6d8ccd2025a95654.png

2021-02-25 10_26_28-Connection Benchmark - DumaOS.png

• Administrators

Great thank you for that. Are you using PPPoE, VLAN etc to connect to the internet at all? Could you follow the steps here please to see if your speeds improve? https://www.digit.in/features/tech/tweak-network-adapter-properties-networking-ethernet-wifi-vpn-45243.html

As the modem passes everything straight through these changes may help when using a router that interacts with packets, your PS getting full speeds is also an indication these settings could help.

@Netduma Fraser OK, I followed the instructions on my PC. No change on the PC or PS5. I still top out at about a third of the speed the router is getting on my PC.

BUT Now when I try and enable QoS I get 1.1 to 7.5 mbps down from 150 before on my PS5. Since I didnt do anything off my PC I dont know why this changed. 

I didnt change anything except to uncheck the disable QoS.

Is this version's (2.3.2.108) QoS Just straight out broken? Just turning it on and restarting my PS5 I can connect to PSN, but its too borked to even connect to games. Turning it off returns it to normal with no issue. 

• Administrators

Ah didn't know that was the version you were on. I'd highly recommend upgrading to this version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mwe5sx81gsc129/XR500-V2.3.2.114-DumaOS3.0.203.img?dl=0 then doing a factory reset, I think it is more stable than .108 and hopefully you won't have the same issues.