How to configure with Google Wifi Mesh

fourspoons

Hi all. Just ordered an R2 and looking for advice on how to install when it arrives.

I currently have an ISP modem in bridge mode connected via a gigabit switch to a Google Wifi mesh hub (and 4 additional wifi pucks around the house). I have about 45 wifi devices and 10 or so wired devices connected at anytime. 

I want to configure the R2 so that I can manage all the traffic and prioritize a console and a PC but still have all the other devices connected to and managed by the Google wifi mesh network.

So I'm thinking I should connect the R2 between the modem and the Google wifi hub, turn off Wifi and DHCP on the R2 and use fixed IPs on the hardwired devices I want to connect directly to the R2, and leave everything else connected to the existing mesh network. Is this the right way of doing things? Or can I still connect things directly to the R2 and use the Google Wifi as the DHCP server?

Thanks

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Modem > R2 > Google Hub should work. You can definitely turn off the WiFi on the R2, it's not required to turn off the DHCP on the R2 and probably best you don't so you can connect a device to it if needed without extra steps. As the Google Hub won't be in AP mode and will be giving devices IP addresses the R2 won't be able to see them as individual devices. If you can put the Google Hub in AP mode then you could achieve exactly what you want.

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, fourspoons said:

Thanks Fraser. I don't think Google Wifi has an AP mode so I might SOL here.

Yeah unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do there. If possible I'd suggest connecting the most important devices such as your consoles etc directly to the R2 so you can apply settings directly to them. 

40 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yeah unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do there. If possible I'd suggest connecting the most important devices such as your consoles etc directly to the R2 so you can apply settings directly to them. 

I can do that for sure, everything's wired into a patch panel and switch so it's not a big deal to move all the wired devices over to the R2 and set manual IPs on those.
In that case, can I still manage the traffic to the google hub (and therefore all the wifi connected devices) as a single block? Like just give those devices 1% of the bandwidth when I'm gaming on the wired devices? 

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, fourspoons said:

I can do that for sure, everything's wired into a patch panel and switch so it's not a big deal to move all the wired devices over to the R2 and set manual IPs on those.
In that case, can I still manage the traffic to the google hub (and therefore all the wifi connected devices) as a single block? Like just give those devices 1% of the bandwidth when I'm gaming on the wired devices? 

That's great, yes precisely!

hey I kind of have this same set up of ISP > Google wifi main > switch > Puck 2 > switch... I have an R2 on the way as well... it would go between the isp and gwifi main... would everything connected to the gwifi work as it currently is? I ask because I have a lot of home automated devices connected to my gwifi.

my pc and xbox will be wired to the R2 directly...

28 minutes ago, Stephenmd said:

hey I kind of have this same set up of ISP > Google wifi main > switch > Puck 2 > switch... I have an R2 on the way as well... it would go between the isp and gwifi main... would everything connected to the gwifi work as it currently is? I ask because I have a lot of home automated devices connected to my gwifi.

Yep, that's exactly the same setup I am putting in and the same reason for keeping the Gwifi!

I have a large area to cover and need the mesh aspect. I've found the hardware side and reliability of the Google Wifi to be fantastic, its just so limited on software side.

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, Stephenmd said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Yes it will definitely work the same way so you don't need to worry about messing with the setup too much in that respect.