PingPlotter, Ping Spikes and Packet Loss, Need Help

rockstars_homework

Hi guys, 

I recently moved to Vodafone ISP and I am far from happy with the connection so far. I have raised the issue with them but they keep saying that there is nothing wrong on their end as I getting the full speeds. Ridiculous. I did some tests on the line using Ping Plotter and Netduma connection benchmark, ill post the findings below.

My problem with the connection is the insta deaths and being a second behind everybody else in the game, so as soon as i see someone im already getting shot by them. I tested this theory out with one of my friends by hosting a private MP game on MW whilst being on a phone call him, and he confirmed that he could just pick me off easily as it seemed like i was just standing there, which i wasnt on my end.

I have also  tested the line by using the cc sliders all the way fron 100% down to 10% in !0% increments and this didnt really have any effect on gaming experience.

This is my setup

ISP vodafone

ISP modem > R1> ps4

DMZ is on

the laptop is connected via ethernet cable to the R1 and so is the playstation.

also on the connection benchmark i am not getting the full download speed. I should be getting 100 both ways but it only goes up to 70 on the upload side. however when i test the speed on speedtest.net or dsl reports i get the full speeds. why is this?

MY connection speed is 100 download and 100 upload on the new vodafone Gigafast FTTP broadband

please could someone advise me on what to do, because right now the game is unplayable.

This is: 

1. PingPlotter with ISP modem only

1112423977_www_bbc_co.ukISPmodem.thumb.png.64704b5afee7655782351f874f42e22d.png

2. dumaos connection benchmark CC at 100% 

2074894860_connectionbenchmark100.thumb.jpg.7ad55e34ec5a67a500bbcd43a350dcb5.jpg

3. PingPlotter connected to netduma at 70% CC

1099294888_www_bbc_co.uknetduma70.thumb.png.0a7014c696f3058ad60a2a452d00a2f4.png

4.  dumaos cc at 70%

312975714_connectionbenchmark70.thumb.jpg.28f4e1ea3374619858964756f1b456a8.jpg

5. PingPlotter > R1 > sliders 70%

underload & saturated (2 netflix accounts streaming, 2 youtube channels streaming, 1 torrent downloading) 4 different devices

1623472567_www_bbc_co.uknetduma70saturated.thumb.png.7ea05a71bc5cb5f239482fca58deae91.png

6. dumaos > sliders 70%

underload & saturated (2 netflix accounts streaming, 2 youtube channels streaming, 1 torrent downloading) 4 different devices

2023813106_connectionbenchmark70saturated.thumb.jpg.52ff094a097bfd6f331b2b6744167986.jpg

7. PingPlotter > R1 > sliders 100%

762328421_www_bbc_co.uknetduma100saturated.thumb.png.eeeecbe344310ad01a0028f9d1ad95fe.png

8. dumaos > sliders 100%

132147828_connectionbenchmark100saturated.thumb.jpg.2a2cd779f1aa289bdfb679c10d6302d4.jpg

9. pingplotter sliders @ 100%

gaming on warzone only 

1363562233_www_bbc_co.uk100netdumagaming.thumb.png.5f56097feff2584f262f0b70547e53d6.png

10. dumaos at 70% gaming only

818406381_www_bbc_co.uknetduma70gaming.thumb.png.eb5d778a80201ab13ba4687b4f9a8e21.png

tthank you

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the modem model exactly? Is it a pure modem or could you connect directly to the modem to play and run a pingplotter as well?

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the modem model exactly? Is it a pure modem or could you connect directly to the modem to play and run a pingplotter as well?

Its a Vodafone THG3000G.

Im not not sure what you mean on the second question?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great thank you, you did modem + pingplotter, could you do modem + ping plotter and play the game at the same time?

I wont be gaming until tomorrow but i remember doing it earlier and the results were very similar to the ones of R1 on 100 cc and ping plotter, the results were almost identical thats why i didnt capture it

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So just to clarify when you did that you were seeing red bars on the bottom graph? 

Do you have all devices connected to the R1 usually or mixed between the two routers?

Im not sure if there were red bars on the bottom or not, i cant remember. but i will perform a test now and post the result.

all devices are connected to the r1.

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So just to clarify when you did that you were seeing red bars on the bottom graph? 

Do you have all devices connected to the R1 usually or mixed between the two routers?

this  is the result

nothing connected to the isp apart from the ps4 via ethernet cable and wifi is completely switched off

gaming 100 isp.jpg

• Administrators

Great thank you, unfortunately it does look like there is an issue with the base connection. If nothing is happening on the network then you shouldn't be having packet loss at all. How have you described the issue to them previously?

42 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great thank you, unfortunately it does look like there is an issue with the base connection. If nothing is happening on the network then you shouldn't be having packet loss at all. How have you described the issue to them previously?

so basically when the line was first installed the connection was perfect, i was running at people winning gunfights, thr ones i lost were actually fair gun battles and not insta kills. everything was perfect apart from i noticed i wasnt getting full download speeds. so that was the first time i contacted them to let them know i was only getting half my download speed. a couple days after they fixed this somehow, but the connection became unbereable and the wporst connection ive ever had. when i phone up to complain about this they tell me theres nothing wrong and come up with the usual reset router and sppedtest.net tests.

when it was first installed both download and upload pings were flat on 15, not really much movement maybe by 1ms or so, but since its been "fixed"  its all over the place.

ive told them about the spikes and everything else, but because im using third party software they try to blame it on that.

i mean the line is so bad and makes the game so unplayable that i have resorted to using my neighbours wifi for my ps4 and the difference is night and day.

i think my next and only option is to ask them to leave, im two months into the contatract though so not sure how thats gonna go.

• Administrators

You could leave but before that explain exactly what is happening, so with nothing using the network and running some ping tests you are experiencing packet loss. Now I couldn't possibly advise that you lie and say that you require a stable ping without packet loss because you have been losing income due to this for example if one were a day trader they would need a pristine connection.

27 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You could leave but before that explain exactly what is happening, so with nothing using the network and running some ping tests you are experiencing packet loss. Now I couldn't possibly advise that you lie and say that you require a stable ping without packet loss because you have been losing income due to this for example if one were a day trader they would need a pristine connection.

hmm, im going to give them a call and see what they say this time.

i will keep you posted

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

so i called them and explained the situation, as expected they have raised the issue to the technical team whos going to give me a call tomorrow. probably to perform a speedtest no doubt, one in the morning, afternoon and evening. they did put a note on the system that this is the 3rd time im calling and that if it isnt solved ill be looking to leave

• Administrators

Well done for getting that done, I think that is the best you can hope for at the moment. Most likely those speedtests will show nothing because they won't be doing a ping test I would have thought so they may then send an engineer. In which case you can actually explain the issue to them as they will actually understand what you're talking about, you can show them the evidence as well. If that does happen, don't have the router connected to the modem because they will blame it instantly and you won't get anywhere.

On 12/30/2020 at 6:39 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Well done for getting that done, I think that is the best you can hope for at the moment. Most likely those speedtests will show nothing because they won't be doing a ping test I would have thought so they may then send an engineer. In which case you can actually explain the issue to them as they will actually understand what you're talking about, you can show them the evidence as well. If that does happen, don't have the router connected to the modem because they will blame it instantly and you won't get anywhere.

still waiting for them to give me a call back so will keep you updated.

is there a reason why the R1 isnt showing my full download speed. it should be 100 and always comes back around 70 max

On 1/2/2021 at 3:58 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay that is fine then, your devices/the router are receiving the proper speeds. We're working on improving the reading given by Connection Benchmark so you can ignore that aspect for the moment.

So I think  i may have found one of the problems.

I used ping plotter to check if there was any packet loss when connected to isp modem only whilst the connection is being used up by downloads and netflix on the PS4, the result was no packet loss whatsoever, ping spikes but no packet loss. 

but the story was completely different once i connected the R1, i conncted both devices to the R1, downloaded the same files and had netflix on, and the results were gobsmacking. i will post the screenshots. this suggests there may be something wrong the the r1 itself?320635975_isp100underload.thumb.png.b631f78c13e2733f72d561b170f0c6d4.png

R1

1787515238_netduma100underload.thumb.png.b851b5a014fe3d55791052f53282dec4.png

• Administrators
4 hours ago, rockstars_homework said:

So I think  i may have found one of the problems.

I used ping plotter to check if there was any packet loss when connected to isp modem only whilst the connection is being used up by downloads and netflix on the PS4, the result was no packet loss whatsoever, ping spikes but no packet loss. 

but the story was completely different once i connected the R1, i conncted both devices to the R1, downloaded the same files and had netflix on, and the results were gobsmacking. i will post the screenshots. this suggests there may be something wrong the the r1 itself?

R1

Was this with or without QoS being used on the R1 at the time? Do you have another cable you can try to connect the R1 to the hub at all?

On 1/11/2021 at 10:37 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you have anything active in Traffic Prioritization? Was it with Anti-BB/CC on Always? All devices connected to the R1?

also i have now a new connection from talk talk, i still have the vosdafone fibre but took out talk talk just to test it out and see the differences.

so far it seems like the r1 is not doing its job on the anti bufferbloat side of things.

when i connect the r1 and check the ping plotter the line spikes, this happens whenever theres any sort of activity on the line, even something as small as opening websites.

should the line on ping p[lotter remain stable throughout when cc is enabled?