Content Blocking on XR1000 (firmware 1.0.0.50 )

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Michael_Michael said:

Thanks. Its not loading for some reason. No ad blocker in DumaOS yet? I don't see it..

Reboot the router and see if that will allow it to load. Sorry that was my mistake, not available on the 1000 at the moment. 

One last question if you don't mind. With being remote related to school, my 8 year old has a Chromebook that is the schools which means I can't lock it down any further than they already have. I am looking to block youtube traffic. The traffic controller won't specifically let me bock traffic to an ip or a specific website.  Am I missing something?

• 1 month later...

Sorry @Netduma Fraser

I know this is a pretty old thread and the OP hasn't responded, but I don't think the Traffic Controller is working as intended on this router. Here's the details:

General Connection Info:
Firmware 1.0.0.52 (Yes, factory Reset after install when it released)
Netgear Armor: Never activate so should be off
Connection Type: Cable, using 
Modem: SB8200
Gigabit Internet: 940 down/35 Up

Traffic Control Settings
Testing Mode: All Traffic
Device: My Cellphone and My wife's

Issue: I set it to stop all traffic on these devices for an entire hour. Both devices Mobile Data was disabled. I restarted my phone just to make sure it wasn't anything "cached". Still didn't work. What's strange is that when I go back into the traffic control settings for that one rule...the page get's very slow to load sometimes taking over 2 mins to load, and that's rare, but what will usually happen is that I can't get back into the router's config page. If anyone's wondering, I'm using my main PC to make all the changes.

I'm really starting to lose hope in this router. Seems like Every 3 weeks I'll go and reset it back to factory and the only things I change are the wifi name, and reassigning devices like my Xbox One X from being labeled as a PC to an actual Xbox (which is also another annoying but tiny bug), or just overall wanting to log into the router to check out the network and see what device is using up date...the ENTIRE interface is just horrendously slow. 

Sporadically I'll get this error message, especially when trying to get traffic controller to work: 
haserl CGI Error

Failed to readline from 'config get DumaOS_Theme_Version'

I don't know why, but I seem to have less problems when I go back to firmware: XR1000-V1.0.0.47_1.0.43. 
When I got that firmware someone from DumaOS was helping me with it, but then I didn't hear from them after I reported another issue.

I really like DumaOS and it's potential! I just need it to work consistenly! But if these issue are gonna keep happening on a 350 router then it may be time to move on.

• Administrators

@Mi6300m Could you provide a screenshot of how the Traffic Controller page please showing the rule you used to block it for the 2 hours? If may be beneficial for you to re-install the firmware via TFTP to bypass the boot process and any issues there and then reset, that will give you the freshest install possible.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

@Mi6300m Could you provide a screenshot of how the Traffic Controller page please showing the rule you used to block it for the 2 hours? If may be beneficial for you to re-install the firmware via TFTP to bypass the boot process and any issues there and then reset, that will give you the freshest install possible.

Thanks! I've tried this https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP and another article saying to use the tfpd64 app.

After the 10 blinks ill run the command and it times out like 15 seconds later. So I wait again just to make sure by this time the router is solid white and turning on the Wi-Fi radio. It'll start transferring but stops about a quarter of the way through and then transfers 1 block at a time for maybe 10 more seconds and times out.

1610902481789218515980648574054.jpg

• Administrators

I'd go with the Command Prompt method myself, that is what I always use. There is a discrepancy between the directories, in Command Prompt you're in the temp folder rather than the download folder, that maybe why it isn't working. It can also be tricky to get the timing down correctly, it's taken me a few times before.

Yeah that's where I have the file in the temp directory. I didn't get that method to work. But after factory reset using the reset button a few times, it seems to be running a little better, and that's with the latest firmware. So let's hope it stays this way for a while.

As for the traffic controller, since the reset rules appear to be working...but that's on my tablet this time. So hopefully everything else will follow order and the page won't die off. Next time this happens i'll open a newer post and tag you in it. I guess if the OP isn't responding on this one we can close this off.

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Mi6300m said:

Yeah that's where I have the file in the temp directory. I didn't get that method to work. But after factory reset using the reset button a few times, it seems to be running a little better, and that's with the latest firmware. So let's hope it stays this way for a while.

As for the traffic controller, since the reset rules appear to be working...but that's on my tablet this time. So hopefully everything else will follow order and the page won't die off. Next time this happens i'll open a newer post and tag you in it. I guess if the OP isn't responding on this one we can close this off.

That's great to hear, do keep us updated!

Traffic controller didn't seem to work for me at all, no matter what I did. It wasn't blocking any kind of traffic at all no matter what I did. I put some rules in place and then moved on to the next problem that I had. About a month latter, almost to the day my son was having problems getting to some of the content required by the school and since I had not made any changes to the router I assumed it was just the internet acting up. It turns out that the content blocking was working sporadically on the router.  My understanding is that the traffic controller won't block https traffic, which much of the traffic is, so the traffic controller isn't really an option.

I am out of luck for my purposes since the router won't let me do what I want and I don't control the schools Chromebook to be able to block content on the device.  After the most recent factory reset to address other problems I can try again but I am not sure it will do what I want. I suppose if my kid tries to use the chromebook after hours I can block all content to the device after school but I have not had that issue yet. 

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Michael_Michael said:

Traffic controller didn't seem to work for me at all, no matter what I did. It wasn't blocking any kind of traffic at all no matter what I did. I put some rules in place and then moved on to the next problem that I had. About a month latter, almost to the day my son was having problems getting to some of the content required by the school and since I had not made any changes to the router I assumed it was just the internet acting up. It turns out that the content blocking was working sporadically on the router.  My understanding is that the traffic controller won't block https traffic, which much of the traffic is, so the traffic controller isn't really an option.

I am out of luck for my purposes since the router won't let me do what I want and I don't control the schools Chromebook to be able to block content on the device.  After the most recent factory reset to address other problems I can try again but I am not sure it will do what I want. I suppose if my kid tries to use the chromebook after hours I can block all content to the device after school but I have not had that issue yet. 

Can you post the rules you've made for Traffic Controller please? It might just be a simple change that needs to be made. When you post the rules (screenshot preferably) please also indicate what you expected each rule to do.