chromecast disconnecting

I've had my note 10+ for well over a year now, and I've had problems with using the wifi at home on and off and never really figured out why. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, I've tried adjusting settings, nothing ever seems to work for me. The only other wireless device I had is a Nintendo Switch and a PS4. My Switch connects up, Nat type A, max speeds it seems to be able to pull no sweat. PS4 however runs like garbo wired or wireless. I've tried various settings to make it better but nothing seems to work for my phone. Static settings, multiple dns, nothing seems to do me any good. Any ideas what might be the issue? I'm mostly just concerned with my phone. Solved, no idea how. 

So this thread initially started as my phone not having internet on wifi. But it turned into why is my PS4 causing my router to buckle when it's online. Still don't know. I fixed my phone issue by making it have a static IP as other wifi devices. Now it's every time I turn on my PS4 it kills the internet and makes it slow as dirt and idk why. The wifi problems with my phone have been up and down but this one was caused by the PS4 causing a throttle on my network. No idea why however.   Solved by reformatting PS4 and then ISP was lagging. 

Chromecast with Google TV started losing wifi signal randomly since updating to the new firmware .66.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Which router do you have specifically? Are you using Smart Connect for WiFi? If so I'd start by disabling that and connection to 2.4 or 5GHz and see if you get the same issues then.

My bad, I have an XR450. So now my note 10+ is working great, but my chromecast with google TV that I forgot about is having issues with disconnects suddenly. How did I fix my phone? Well I didn't do anything really. I setup static IP which has not always worked in the past but suddenly is fine? Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't with the wifi on this thing. The ethernet is generally always working tho. It's really weird.

• Administrators

Did you disable Smart Connect also? - In my experience some devices have trouble with switching between 2.4/5GHz on one SSID. Set a static IP for the Chromecast also then as it could be DHCP renewal causing it and that should prevent it.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you disable Smart Connect also? - In my experience some devices have trouble with switching between 2.4/5GHz on one SSID. Set a static IP for the Chromecast also then as it could be DHCP renewal causing it and that should prevent it.

Yes thats disconnected. I figured out it's my PS4 causing problems. I unplugged the ethernet cable and suddenly everything is perfect again. No idea why this is an issue. It didn't used to be. 

So there has been other weird problems, but this one is related to my PS4. Specifically because Nioh 2 is constantly trying to connect online and it can't seem to work. So it's straining my network hard. 

• Administrators

It might be the PS4 took the IP that the Chromecast previously had and it confused the device. Set reserved IPs for all devices and that may prevent it in future. Disable the Geo-Filter when playing that game, it's most likely the cause as we haven't tested that game specifically.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It might be the PS4 took the IP that the Chromecast previously had and it confused the device. Set reserved IPs for all devices and that may prevent it in future. Disable the Geo-Filter when playing that game, it's most likely the cause as we haven't tested that game specifically.

PS4 has a static IP as does the chromecast. Every time I go online with my PS4 it tanks my internet and idk why. It's becoming an issue and I never had this before.

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When you next turn on the PS4, check the Network Monitor, do you see a lot of bandwidth being used?

The bandwidth is sub 1mbps. Now it's constantly saying im disconnected from the router as soon as I try to connect the PS4 via wifi. What the heck?

On 11/30/2020 at 9:18 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay a lot of weirdness happening there! Is Chromecast just on the 2.4 or the 5GHz and does it disconnect on both?

I've tried both, I've tried static IPs. The PS4 problems are solved so far, probably because I reformatted the console. The PS4 does seem to murder it when downloading a game tho. My router has been factory reset and then upgraded to the newest .66 FW and it's acting a lot snappier booting the OS when I go to the settings. But from some asking around r/chromecast, this might be an issue with their new firmware. It just all happened at once for me. So now I am unsure. But thus far my xr450 has been acting way good since the reset. Thanks for the patients. 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Heroxoot said:

I've tried both, I've tried static IPs. The PS4 problems are solved so far, probably because I reformatted the console. The PS4 does seem to murder it when downloading a game tho. My router has been factory reset and then upgraded to the newest .66 FW and it's acting a lot snappier booting the OS when I go to the settings. But from some asking around r/chromecast, this might be an issue with their new firmware. It just all happened at once for me. So now I am unsure. But thus far my xr450 has been acting way good since the reset. Thanks for the patients. 

Well that's good to hear, sorry about the Chromecast though, hopefully they get that sorted. Thanks very much for coming back and updating us!

On 12/5/2020 at 8:02 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Well that's good to hear, sorry about the Chromecast though, hopefully they get that sorted. Thanks very much for coming back and updating us!

It turned out that having IPV6 enabled causes it to disconnect randomly. No explanations from Google. So if anyone else has issues that is the solution.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Heroxoot said:

It turned out that having IPV6 enabled causes it to disconnect randomly. No explanations from Google. So if anyone else has issues that is the solution.

Brilliant, thanks so much for the solution! Glad it's all working well now. I'll close this topic now as it has been resolved but feel free to open another if you have any other questions/issues and we'll be happy to help.