Regarding auto setup and new FW on XR1000.

xBuTcHeRx

So I just noticed that a new update came to the XR1000. And auto setup came to the QOS SETTINGS. Fraser just needed a bit of guidance regarding setting up bufferbloat automatically for my connection. I have GIG internet 940 down and 40 upload. I guess the advanced settings confuse me a bit. And whats a good suggestion regarding anti spikes, enable or disable and what about keeping 50% minimum on the down and up speed? Should i tweak anything for a better result in relation to my speeds on the advanced settings? Thank you.

• Administrators

Sure no problem, I'll just run through each aspect:

Target Ping vs Idle [Advised that below 5ms is unrealistic] - The idle ping is what your base ping is, i.e. what happens when nothing is happening on your network - this should be close to the Ping Test result in Connection Benchmark. The Target Ping is the ping you want to get as close as possible to when your network is in heavy use. So essentially you really want this as close to the idle ping as possible. The ms slider for this option allows you to choose how high you would be prepared to have your target ping be in relation to your idle ping. 

Minimum Download Setting [Capped at minimum 30%] - Pretty self explanatory this one, just how low/high you would be prepared to have your download be reduced by in order to eliminate Congestion/Bufferbloat.

Minimum Upload Setting [Capped at minimum 30%] - Pretty self explanatory this one, just how low/high you would be prepared to have your upload be reduced by in order to eliminate Congestion/Bufferbloat.

Anti-Spikes - Max Spike Size [No caps/warning] - Firstly, you have the option of enabling or disabling Anti-Spikes. If you have this disabled then Auto Setup will not take into account any spikes in ping when trying to get to your target ping. E.g. if your target ping is 20ms and it can get you close to 20ms but there is a spike to 200ms then it would allow this. So when enabling this you can select the maximum ping spike you would allow above your target ping. The minimum here is 0. Now I would not recommend this given I have never seen a stable connection ever that does not spike by at least a few ms. I tried 10ms and had good results. Keep in mind that something like 10ms is pretty imperceptible. 

For my connection personally [550/37] I tried:

Target Ping vs Idle - 15ms
Min Download - 50%
Min Upload - 50%
Anti-Spikes - 10ms

And got some pretty good results that were close to my target ping. There are lots of potential options you can try there so see how you get on!

P.S. For anyone thinking of asking, yes the R2 will be getting this in the next update!