Static IP...

fuzzy clam

...I've used the same static IP on my Playstation  for the last 10 years and last hight I went to game and I couldn't connect. So I checked the device manager and it showed another device on my network has the IP that my Playstation had. I haven't updated anything the only thing that changed was the wife got a new table and phone from work and those are now added to our network. And it's the new phone that has my static IP, I have no idea how that could happen as it's been the same for 10 years and we've had all kinds of new and different devices I added to our network. But for some reason her new phone has that IP. I will talk to the IT guy that set up her phone and tablet as I'm guessing they are both static Ip's as they never change.

My question is hoe do I go about setting up a new static IP for my Playstation as the normal protocol doesn't seem to work and I don't want a dynamic IP as I port forward. So basically I can't get a new static IP to stick, any ideas ?

• Administrators

I imagine you made the static IP on the PS4 is that right? If so that's probably the cause as the PS4 tells the router hey I want to access using this and the router says ok nothing else is using that right now, lets make a connection. What I assume happened is the PS4 was completely offline and so when the phone went to connect just by chance it took that IP address. So when the PS4 tried to connect with it's usual IP, the router said no it's been allocated, but as you set it on the console the router wouldn't be able to give it another address. 

Go to Settings > LAN > DHCP. Click the tickbox for reserved IP for the PS4, enter the end part of the IP that you want, then click save. No matter what devices connect and even if the PS4 goes offline it will now always have that IP - just remember to disable the static IP you set on the PS4 or set it as the same if you want to but no need.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 3:17 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I imagine you made the static IP on the PS4 is that right? If so that's probably the cause as the PS4 tells the router hey I want to access using this and the router says ok nothing else is using that right now, lets make a connection. What I assume happened is the PS4 was completely offline and so when the phone went to connect just by chance it took that IP address. So when the PS4 tried to connect with it's usual IP, the router said no it's been allocated, but as you set it on the console the router wouldn't be able to give it another address. 

Go to Settings > LAN > DHCP. Click the tickbox for reserved IP for the PS4, enter the end part of the IP that you want, then click save. No matter what devices connect and even if the PS4 goes offline it will now always have that IP - just remember to disable the static IP you set on the PS4 or set it as the same if you want to but no need.

Yeah I followed the normal protocol for setting up a static IP when I set it 10 years ago through both the PS4 and my router and had zero issues with new computers, phones, tablets, TV's etc. But for some reason her phone did swipe my PS4 IP and I had it set up through the PS4 and the R2 ( same IP on both ) with the same protocol you suggested, and with the numbers applied and box ticked under DHCP in LAN. And I ended up doing 4 different factory resets as then several other devices keep taking what ever the static IP I set to my PS4, according to device manager. It almost seemed like it was left as a dynamic instead of static. I set the last octet as far away from the other devices as I always do and it finally stuck and I haven't had any issues since then. So crisis averted but still curious as to why it was happening because it was something I never had an issue with before. And as always thanks for the feedback Fraser

• Administrators

I can't think why that would have happened at all unless the router was reset or the console. Glad you sorted it, do let us know if it happens again and if it does see if there are any entries in the log file that correlate.