Which XR?

Hi,

I am interested in buying an XR router. The obvious choice is a XR1000. However, I also have the chance to pick up a new XR700 at slightly less than the price of the XR1000 which is kinda crazy considering the XR700 seems to have better hardware ( I think ? ). I know that the XR1000 runs the latest DumaOS but I don't know about the XR700. What is the status regards support for the XR700? Will the XR700 get the latest DumaOS? Would people here recommend the XR1000 over the XR700 or not?

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

In my personal opinion I would recommend going with the XR1000 for several reasons:

• It has the latest DumaOS available from the get go
  • AX WiFi so you're more future proofed
  • The XR700 is no longer being made - once existing stock is sold it will no longer be available to purchase - with this in mind if there are any issues requiring a replacement then would be easier with the XR1000 (I assume)
  • XR700 will get DumaOS 3.0 but I don't have a date for that currently and will be in beta for awhile most likely before a stable public version is available

Guest Killhippie
3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

In my personal opinion I would recommend going with the XR1000 for several reasons:

• It has the latest DumaOS available from the get go
  • AX WiFi so you're more future proofed
  • The XR700 is no longer being made - once existing stock is sold it will no longer be available to purchase - with this in mind if there are any issues requiring a replacement then would be easier with the XR1000 (I assume)
  • XR700 will get DumaOS 3.0 but I don't have a date for that currently and will be in beta for awhile most likely before a stable public version is available

Not surprised considering the rapid drop in price and its brother the R9000 being made EOL earlier in the year. Now the router wont receive security patches from Netgear as its EOL (end of life) after 3.0 which will be the final update, so after that the  security on that router will eventually become an issue. All good things come to an end and at its original price point I'm guessing more XR500's, and XR300's were sold. Best not to buy one now. I have to say I am surprised they are putting 3.0 on it as the XR700  is now an end of life product, I personally wouldn't hold your breath for a beta as it seems odd to keep technicians working on a product that's no longer in production, but who knows. I noticed on Amazon UK it states there is a newer model of this item, which is the XR1000. I imagine that will be the unit that warranty XR700's are replaced with.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-XR700-100EUS-Nighthawk-Gaming-Router/dp/B07GZ138X8

So the XR700 is coming to the end and I’m right in thinking the direct replacement from NG is the XR1000. 
I'm not surprised either with the push towards AX and it was rather expensive and to be honest, ad which the router supported was dead in the water.