My internet speed drops when my TV is on

Hello

Recently I opened up a thread on here, where I experienced some internet speed drops, when I turned my TV on: 

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/33182-internet-speed-drops-when-i-watch-netflix/#comments

Well, I found out where the problem is. The Problem is not my Samsung TV,  but my Sonos Playbar. Everytime the Sonos Playbar is running some audio, my internet speed drops a lot. How did I found out? Well, everytime I plug my Sonos Playbar off, the internet speed increases. 

I have the following setup:

1x Sonos Playbar

1x Sonos Sub

2x Sonos One.

All of those Speakers are connected to the 2.4 GHZ Wi-Fi Network. The Sonos Sub and the two Sonos One are connected to the Sonos Playbar in my room, so they can all work together. 

I cannot connect my Sonos Playbar via LAN at the moment, but this will definitely be possible in the future. When you connect the Sonos Playbar via LAN, it creates an own network, which doesn‘t disturb the current 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ Network.

Currently tho, it seems that my Sonos Setup is interferring with my Wi-Fi Network. How can I solve this problem? I use a Netgear Nighthawk XR500 Router. 

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ahhh so maybe there was some wireless contention going on. Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel for 2.4GHz and change to that and see if it helps.

That’s also what I think. Alright, how do I analyze this, how does it work? I‘ve never done that.

Currently, my Channel for the 2.4 GHZ is 6.

• Administrators

So on the Microsoft Store for Windows 10 there is a WiFi analyzer available for free called literally WiFi analyzer. Connect to the WiFi you want to test on the PC. Click analyze and then you'll see a graph like this:

image.png

Now yours may look different but basically you can see mine is on six there as well and than it sort of cones outwards -2 & +2 channels so what you want is a channel that will have the least amount of other wifi networks interfering. The program itself recommends 12 for me which isn't too bad, I would also consider trying 3. Hopefully in your scenario you have less networks around.

46 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So on the Microsoft Store for Windows 10 there is a WiFi analyzer available for free called literally WiFi analyzer. Connect to the WiFi you want to test on the PC. Click analyze and then you'll see a graph like this:

image.png

Now yours may look different but basically you can see mine is on six there as well and than it sort of cones outwards -2 & +2 channels so what you want is a channel that will have the least amount of other wifi networks interfering. The program itself recommends 12 for me which isn't too bad, I would also consider trying 3. Hopefully in your scenario you have less networks around.

Alright, thank you! So I downloaded Wi-Fi Analyzer and the channels that are being recommended are the ones that I am already using. I am using Channel 6 for 2.4 GHZ and Channel 48 for 5 GHZ. When I analyzed this, the Internet Speed Drops weren't happening, so maybe I have to do this, when the issue is happening? What channels would you recommend me to try, by looking at my graphs?

2.4 GHZ.png

5 GHZ.png

Okay, I guess I finally found the solution! The Setting "Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence" was enabled in my Wireless Setup. This Option basically reduces the bandwidth, when another Wireless Network is detected. Obviously, my Sonos Setup creates an "Own" Wireless Network. That was the reason, why my bandwidth was dropping so much. After disabling the 20/40 MHZ Coexistence and restarting my Netgear XR500 Router, my Internet Speed didn't drop even when my TV was on. I will further test this in the next days and check, if the issue will come back. I will let you know in 2 days the latest.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

For 2.4 I'd try going 9 or 10, 5GHz you can leave on the same channel. Ahh brilliant, well done for figuring it out! Fingers crossed that has sorted it now.

Thank you Fraser!

I found out that now on my PS4 the Internet speed is not at around 150 mbit/s but at 90 mbit/s. So it is slightly slower there, but that shouldn't be a problem tho, because I am pretty sure, that this problem won't happen with the PS5 anymore. As soon as I will be able to connect my PS5 and my Sonos via LAN, the internet speed will be much faster. I gues that should be right?

Plus, it is known that the PS4 has bad internet speed. I was able to preorder the PS5 and the internet speed is much better there (I saw it yesterday, in someone's Review Video.)

Would you suggest to leave my 2.4 GHZ at Channel 6 for now, since it is working again or would you still change the channel to channel 9?

• Administrators

Yeah I would assume that the PS5 has better capability for bandwidth speeds, jealous you got a pre-order, can't find any place that's got it in stock for pre-order :( Leave it as it is for now, if it's not broken don't fix it as they say!

23 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yeah I would assume that the PS5 has better capability for bandwidth speeds, jealous you got a pre-order, can't find any place that's got it in stock for pre-order :( Leave it as it is for now, if it's not broken don't fix it as they say!

Yeah that sucks! But I‘m sure there will be more PS5 available soon. I was pretty lucky to get a pre order. Only 2 weeks left here in Europe! 

Alright, I will leave the channel as it is. I‘m happy to report, that the internet speed didn‘t drop so far. I‘ll let you know in the next days if it still works fine. :)

Guest Killhippie

G;ad you got it working, Im avoiding the PS5 until next year, first I want a back one secondly never buy launch day consoles, they tend to be rushed together and have issues, its been seem from previous launches and with COVID playing a major part this year in supply chain issues I'm not sure the parts will be top notch, Sony will have cannibalised what they can to build these in a rush I'm guessing, anyway I hope you have fun with it you get a good unit and enjoy :) I'm waiting for new games that use the PS5's power, and the first hardware revision.

Well, I guess that was too early. Today the issue happened again. So, I tried to change the Wireless Channel of the 2.4 GHZ. I tried multiple channels, yet the problem was still there. I put the Channel back to 6.

Then, I tried to reset my Sonos Playbar. I found out that when my Sonos Playbar is the only device connected, the internet Speed doesn’t drop. As soon as I connect the Sub and the two Sonos One speakers, the issue happens again.

I will contact Sonos support later and let you know what they say. I honestly have no idea what to do next. I feel like I have tried everything I could.

• Administrators

Let us know what they say. The only thing I could possibly think of is that DumaOS Classified Games in Traffic Prioritization is prioritizing Sonos and therefore dropping speed for other devices, disable that and see if it still happens.

17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Let us know what they say. The only thing I could possibly think of is that DumaOS Classified Games in Traffic Prioritization is prioritizing Sonos and therefore dropping speed for other devices, disable that and see if it still happens.

It was really weird. The Sonos Support thinks, that the Samsung TV is the problem. This is what he said:

Basically, when I only connect my Sonos Playbar and my Sonos Sub, the Internet Speed doesn‘t drop. With this Setup, the Sonos Playbar communicates with the router at 2.4 GHZ. As soon as I connect my two Surround Speaker, the Playbar communicates with the Surround Speakers at 5 GHZ and with the router itself at 2.4 GHZ. 

As soon as I turn my TV off, the Internet Speed is good again. Unfortunately, there is no way you can disable Wi-Fi on my TV, as long as it isn‘t connected to LAN. So, I also tried to switch my TV from 5 GHZ to 2.4 GHZ and the problem still persisted. 

Here‘s the thing. The internet speed even seems to drop, if my TV is turned off, but I play music from my iPhone to my Sonos System through Wireless. Basically, everytime my Sonos System is playing something, the internet speed drops.

I now disabled DumaOS Classified Games in Traffic Prioritization in QoS as you said. The internet speed didn’t drop by now. I‘ll let you know in a few hours if the problem still persists.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the info, let us know how Classified Games off goes, hopefully that fixes it.

Unfortunately it didn‘t help. It still drops the internet speed as soon as my TV is on. You can clearly see the difference in download speed when my sonos are on and offline.

31 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

This is really confusing. Do you have a another router to replace it with and see if it happens on that one also?

I have my ISP Modem which I could try out. But I can only try it out on Thursday the latest. 

I also did another reset of all my sonos devices. The moment I connected my Sub and my Surround speakers to the playbar, the problem happened again.

It is so confusing, because the internet speed is also slow when I stand right in front of the Netgear Router, when my TV is on and my Sonos Surround System is online.

The other thing I could do is wait until the electrician will install a RJ45 in my room (approximately in about a month) so I will be able to connect a Netgear unmanaged Switch to it and connect my Sonos Playbar via LAN there and see if the problem will still persist then.

Again: The moment you connect the Sonos Playbar via LAN, it creates an own Network inwhich the Sonos Speakers communicate, without disturbing your current network.

• Administrators

Okay try the ISP hub and let us know. I really can't think of anything on the router that would be causing it at the moment as we've ruled them out. In WAN Settings you can try toggling SIP ALG and IGMP Proxying but unlikely to work.