R2, ISP or Game?

Wayne1985

Hi,

I'm still trying to get the best ping possible but I'm starting to feel like it's as low as it's going to be. Not sure if it's the R2, My ISP or modern warfare but my ping seems to be all over the place with small ping spikes during games, deteriorating performance over time and the odd lag here and there.

When I first start playing the game my ping in game will be between 20-30ms sometimes lower then after a few games it continues to rise up to 47ms this is during a match.

If I close the game and reboot the R2 the ping will be a bit lower again for a couple of games then rises again. I also get some strange lag from time to time like my character is doing a crazy sprint on ice.

I check my ping during matches via the options menu on the latency graph:20201023_103251.thumb.jpg.dbc289b13de501ac76d71d1e5940dc49.jpg

This goes up and down constantly from 15ms to 49ms when it's at the highest that's when I get the lag sometimes and its noticeable in my gunfights too sometimes my bullets all register and sometimes they don't during the same match.

This is my ping most of the time when searching for games not sure if it's much help:20201023_104856.thumb.jpg.474f322235ecc2716fec5588e19cbebb.jpg

I'm with virgin media and have the superhub 3 😫

and I've not heard good things in terms of ping lots of people talking about ping spikes could this be my issue?

Also noticed my nat type is moderate in game the past few days but my PS4 still says nat type 2?

This is how I have my R2 settings atm and seem to be the best I can get:1626394609_GeoSettings.thumb.png.d0ff453cc2bd26e1bcd6b65779411fbe.png1244037654_BenchmarkResults.thumb.png.da586b75b69e6a15b9fe11f6fd130984.png1886174445_QoSSettings.thumb.png.a07723e0a294b5ddd9edd3c571abee1f.png

my average ping as per the geo filter is 19ms

and my average in game is around 30ms.

Is there anything I can do to get a lower more consistent ping or is this the best I'm likely to get?

If so I think the R2 may not be for me as I'm not noticing much difference.

Cheers.

• Administrators

Your average base ping is about 13ms and it does have some fluctuations up to about 20ms so I would expect game ping to be around 30-40ms for the most part. Your Ping Under Load test however is a bit spiky, so I would suggest trying to fine tune Congestion Control more to get this down, use Always when you do this. Other people find they sometimes get better games if they force servers slightly further away as well so try some servers in the EU and see if they play better.

• Administrators

Ping Under Load will be down to local congestion, nothing to do with Virgin so you'll need to fine tune CC for that. The average ping going from 13-20ms is down to VM. Have you got the V hub in Modem mode or have you got the R2 WAN IP in the DMZ?

23 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ping Under Load will be down to local congestion, nothing to do with Virgin so you'll need to fine tune CC for that. The average ping going from 13-20ms is down to VM. Have you got the V hub in Modem mode or have you got the R2 WAN IP in the DMZ?

It's in DMZ

I haven't played around with the congestion control yet but just run another benchmark and this is how it looks1021527462_Screenshot(5).thumb.png.afca31528abe1e22b7ece4bad65a0249.png

More spiky and higher ping and is that jitter looking a bit high too?

Every benchmark I run is completely different from the last.

• Administrators

Brilliant, so if it shows moderate from now on you can be rest assured it is just a misreading caused by the Geo-Filter blocking the server they use to check the status. 

Yes it is a bit high, I would suggest you try to fine tune Congestion Control to try and get those values down as much as possible.

On 10/25/2020 at 6:16 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Brilliant, so if it shows moderate from now on you can be rest assured it is just a misreading caused by the Geo-Filter blocking the server they use to check the status. 

Yes it is a bit high, I would suggest you try to fine tune Congestion Control to try and get those values down as much as possible.

It's not working well for me I have tried fine tuning the congestion control with it set to always and it gives me practically the same result no matter what I set the sliders to, I can get the ping under load less spiky but my ping is still 19ms on down and up and my average ping and jitter are completely random I ran back to back benchmarks with the congestion control untouched and I get mixed results one minute its spiky with low jitter next it's less spikes with high jitter. I'm now seeing higher ping in game too 40-50ms I was playing a game last night had a guy from south Korea in my lobby and I was dead before I could react like I was getting one shotted with an assault rifle.

Overall the changing the congestion control sliders makes little to no difference to my ping.

• Administrators

You want to get it less spiky, that is the aim. As your average ping is 17, for ping under load to be 19 that is really good so I'd stick with the settings that gave you those results. Game ping just direct to the server I would expect to be 10-20ms higher so roughly 40ms just to the server so to have 40-50ms shown in game is very good as they add on processing delay etc. You can't prevent other people joining the servers unfortunately.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

You want to get it less spiky, that is the aim. As your average ping is 17, for ping under load to be 19 that is really good so I'd stick with the settings that gave you those results. Game ping just direct to the server I would expect to be 10-20ms higher so roughly 40ms just to the server so to have 40-50ms shown in game is very good as they add on processing delay etc. You can't prevent other people joining the servers unfortunately.

I get I can't stop people from joining the servers I just assumed that if I'm only joining UK servers then people in my lobby are also on the UK servers so him being in South Korea I would think he would have a much higher ping to the server but it seemed he had a better connection than anyone in the lobby?

I've got my ping under load the least spiky I can get it but it is still spiky at times I've done multiple benchmark tests and on one its spiky the next it's not so much.

With my average ping being 15-19ms this is down to Virgin? So nothing I can do about it?

Is there a more recommended ISP for gaming/latency in the UK? I've heard BT are pretty good but I'm guessing it's based on my location.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Yes it should be that way in theory, I'm not sure how they managed to get on that server to be honest. It could be yes, I have Virgin myself and haven't been with anyone else so couldn't recommend an ISP specifically but people always say Virgin isn't the best to game on, been fine for me though but my base ping isn't as high as yours.

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes it should be that way in theory, I'm not sure how they managed to get on that server to be honest. It could be yes, I have Virgin myself and haven't been with anyone else so couldn't recommend an ISP specifically but people always say Virgin isn't the best to game on, been fine for me though but my base ping isn't as high as yours.

So would my base ping being higher than yours be down to location or could there be other reasons why its higher?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Wayne1985 said:

So would my base ping being higher than yours be down to location or could there be other reasons why its higher?

Location, how dense the area is, how many users in the area using Virgin etc.

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Location, how dense the area is, how many users in the area using Virgin etc.

Now that makes sense as it seems all my neighbour's are also using Virgin because their ssid shows up in my phones available networks and they all start with vm.

I am in quite a heavily populated area too.

• Administrators
23 hours ago, Wayne1985 said:

Now that makes sense as it seems all my neighbour's are also using Virgin because their ssid shows up in my phones available networks and they all start with vm.

I am in quite a heavily populated area too.

Now just for comparison, within WiFi range I only have two others using VM, others using BT, Sky etc and I also live on quite a long road where the houses aren't too densely packed and just off the town centre so yeah that would seem to explain the difference in ping.

31 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Now just for comparison, within WiFi range I only have two others using VM, others using BT, Sky etc and I also live on quite a long road where the houses aren't too densely packed and just off the town centre so yeah that would seem to explain the difference in ping.

Not really sure on what I can do now,  if I decide to change ISP I'm going to have to wait a while as my contract renewed just before a got the R2 about 2 months ago and then theres the question of whether the new ISP will be any better for me ping wise.

I guess I've got some homework to do 🙄

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Wayne1985 said:

Not really sure on what I can do now,  if I decide to change ISP I'm going to have to wait a while as my contract renewed just before a got the R2 about 2 months ago and then theres the question of whether the new ISP will be any better for me ping wise.

I guess I've got some homework to do 🙄

You can always ask them to see if they're able to optimize your route to get a more stable/lower ping. I haven't tried it but I suspect it might be difficult to get to someone who knows what you're talking about. You could try their business broadband potentially as that may be lower, their support will also be better.

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can always ask them to see if they're able to optimize your route to get a more stable/lower ping. I haven't tried it but I suspect it might be difficult to get to someone who knows what you're talking about. You could try their business broadband potentially as that may be lower, their support will also be better.

Worth a try I guess, I'll give them a call and see what they say not very hopefull they'll understand though I phoned them about the cables coming into my house looking a bit old and worn and they sent me a new ethernet cable 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣

I have upgraded to the new software version on the R2 and this is my benchmark after the upgrade not changed any settings1323717003_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.a38de7fe2336743af11d08f340295e8c.png

Then this one after a reboot

1888301092_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.1c20f4354a350d8ccef1009ede79d920.png

Ping under load as you can see not great.

I'm just trying to get it back down with congestion control but so far can't get anywhere near what I had before the upgrade.

On 11/4/2020 at 1:27 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Start at 90% Always for Congestion Control, do a test, then go down by 10%, do a test. Rinse repeat until you get the ping down and the graph more stable.

Ok so seems like my best settings are around 60 - 70%

This is 60%622687993_CC60.thumb.png.5107b0e484855716c8b60424067f025e.png

Higher average ping and jitter but ping under load is a lot flatter

This is 70%853674900_CC70.thumb.png.ad00cd4389d0666ab6500775641d7801.png

Average ping and jitter are lower but ping under load is a bit more spiky

Which should I stick with?

Thanks