XR500 Devices show up in wrong network

Hello

Recently I moved my Nighthawk XR500 in my room and my Netgear Mesh repeater EX7700 in the living room. Since I have done so, everytime I am in the living room, my devices show up at 5GHZ in the device manager on Duma OS. They are connected on the 2.4 GHZ network tho.

If I am in my room, where my Netgear XR500 is, my phone for example shows up correctly at 2.4 GHZ.

Why does this happen? All the devices you see on the picture, are connected at 2.4 GHZ. Why do they show up at 5 GHZ?

4ADF84ED-F697-4B3D-801C-02365F1B7FEF.jpeg

Hi and thank you!

The EX does not provide an SSID to connect to. On my Phone for example I only see my two SSID’s from the XR500 to connect to. One is for 2.4 GHZ and one is for 5 GHZ. I don’t have smart connect on, because I want to decide for myself, where my devices have to connect.

On my phone, I am connected to the 2.4 GHZ SSID. When I am in my room, I can see my phone showing up correctly on the 2.4 GHZ on the device manager. As soon as I move to the living room, where my EX Repeater is, it shows, that my phone is connected on the 5 GHZ on the device manager in Duma OS, even tho my phone is still connected on my 2.4 GHZ SSID.

I used to have my EX Repeater far away from my XR500, but it always used to show my devices correctly on the device manager on Duma OS. I decided to move my XR500 to my room since now I can connect my PS4 via LAN on a XR500 LAN Port. Plus, I decided to move my EX Repeater to the living room, since it gives a better Wi-Fi connection for the other devices I use.

Is it a problem, that the devices do not show up correctly on the Duma OS device manager or is this „issue“ normal?

• Administrators

Thanks for clarifying, I've never heard of this issue before when connecting to the standard XR WiFi so must be to do with the EX. Does the EX have any sort of interface where you can either confirm or see whether devices are connected to what they are supposed to be?

As I just saw here: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000044735/How-do-I-log-in-to-my-WiFi-Mesh-Extender-or-Nighthawk-Mesh-Extender

There is a way to log into the Extender settings, which I did. I made some screenshots of my settings, they should all be alright tho. There is also a mask which shows which devices are connected to the repeater. There, I can see, that for example the Samsung Galaxy S6 shows up as 2.4 GHZ, since the 2.4 GHZ runs at channel 6.

I also checked the same thing a few minutes later on my Netgear Nighthawk App on my phone. There I saw 2 devices („FRANCO“ and „GALAXY-S8“) correctly connected to the 2.4 GHZ Network. As soon as I opened up Duma OS those 2 devices where showing up as 5 GHZ devices on Duma OS. Yet, they still show up correctly as 2.4 GHZ devices on the Nighthawk App on my phone.

So, from what I see in the EX7700 Settings, the devices connect where they should be. I cannot understand, why these devices show up as 5 GHZ on Duma OS. Could it be that Duma OS is not able to recognize on which Network the devices connect to, as soon as an extender is being used? Also important: I don‘t use my EX7700 as an Access point. I simply use it as a Wi-Fi Range Extender.

DDAF2A42-F53E-4862-B740-A869746BDDF7.jpeg

1698468D-4A36-4766-84DE-C5BDF059183E.jpeg

56AC0528-74E9-4357-9A8F-168DB238511C.jpeg

2686CE39-A042-4872-BBCD-D8FAD373F870.jpeg

4B1DF47A-3BFC-4E5A-990F-A0357012160A.jpeg

14C11C80-660C-4EAD-809A-77DCD5710FBD.jpeg

I didn't try that option, cause I can't even select the "No" button. When I click on the "No" button, nothing happens. But if I click on "Learn more" this is what it says:

Enable One WiFi Name

If you select the Yes radio button, the extender uses the same SSID and password as your existing router or AP network.

Obviously, the goal is to use it as One Wi-Fi name, so I don't have to connect to another SSID, everytime I am in the living room.

Before I do so, isn't it better to wait until Duma OS 3.0 is not in Beta anymore? I am asking this, because everything else is working fine and I'm reading that someone for example has bad download and upload speeds since he installed the Beta. Plus, I have no idea how to install the beta.

Alright, thank you for your help and support. As soon as there will be a stable version of Duma 3.0, I will install it and let you know, if the issue is still there. As soon as Duma OS 3.0 is going to be available, am I going to be able to install it through a normal Firmware update or will I have to do it manually, by downloading a File?

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, Juventino24 said:

Alright, thank you for your help and support. As soon as there will be a stable version of Duma 3.0, I will install it and let you know, if the issue is still there. As soon as Duma OS 3.0 is going to be available, am I going to be able to install it through a normal Firmware update or will I have to do it manually, by downloading a File?

Once it is stable and available publicly it should go through as an automatic update but always have the option of doing it manually.

Alright. I‘ll wait until it‘s stable then and I‘ll let you know if the issue will still persist after the Duma OS 3.0 Update.

In the meantime if someone at your studios could try to replicate this aesthetic issue, it would definitely help out, in case this issue is not fixed on Duma OS 3.0. Maybe it could be fixed in a next firmware update for Duma OS 2.0 already?

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, Juventino24 said:

Alright. I‘ll wait until it‘s stable then and I‘ll let you know if the issue will still persist after the Duma OS 3.0 Update.

In the meantime if someone at your studios could try to replicate this aesthetic issue, it would definitely help out, in case this issue is not fixed on Duma OS 3.0. Maybe it could be fixed in a next firmware update for Duma OS 2.0 already?

Thanks! It would take us too long to make an update for 2.0 now as we are full steam ahead on 3.0 and is what we will be using across all the router platforms. There has been some changes to the Device Manager so wouldn't be surprised if it is already a non issue.