Connection benchmark XR500

• Administrators

Connect a PC direct to your modem and open command prompt, type this and press enter:

ping 8.8.8.8 -t 

then when it's been going for a little while, maybe 30 seconds press Ctrl + C on the keyboard. Did you see any high spikes?

23 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay you can ignore that spike then, likely just an anomaly for the start of the test.

Can you please explain how exactly you came to this conclusion? The entire point of that connection test is to test bufferbloat, that means latency under load. Pinging google's dns and not seeing ping spikes is not testing bufferbloat in the slightest. Wouldn't it be plausible to suspect Comcast's DOCSIS connection which has notoriously slow upload speeds?

Maybe Comcast is already doing some shaping. They have DOCSIS 3.1 enabled in most states AFAIK which is supposed to have built in bufferbloat mitigations which may be clashing with DumaOS QoS/Congestion control.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Questionable said:

Can you please explain how exactly you came to this conclusion? The entire point of that connection test is to test bufferbloat, that means latency under load. Pinging google's dns and not seeing ping spikes is not testing bufferbloat in the slightest. Wouldn't it be plausible to suspect Comcast's DOCSIS connection which is notoriously slow upload speeds?

Maybe Comcast is already doing some shaping. They have DOCSIS 3.1 enabled in most states AFAIK which is supposed to have built in bufferbloat mitigations which may be clashing with DumaOS QoS/Congestion control.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The fact that after the ping is going up immediately and then going down to a stable level shows that QoS is doing its job preventing bufferbloat. So we know that is working and there is no spikes at all generally so it doesn't look like that would be the cause. The test obviously agrees that it is insignificant as it is rated A+. 

25 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The fact that after the ping is going up immediately and then going down to a stable level shows that QoS is doing its job preventing bufferbloat. So we know that is working and there is no spikes at all generally so it doesn't look like that would be the cause. The test obviously agrees that it is insignificant as it is rated A+. 

His connection is idling at 24 ping average and it's spiking up above 100ms under load, that's not working very well. The grade means nothing, it just means DumaOS is loose on the definition of "A+".  Pinging DNS while the connection is idle isn't proving anything.

Anyone else on that network saturating the connection is going to cause other people's gameplay suffer during that bufferbloat spike. Well it's more of a hill. Again, the entire point of dumaOS/QoS/Congestion control and all of their new 3.0 features like this connection benchmark test is to provide the best gaming experience possible. Now that we have these awesome tools at our disposal let's not consider all of that bufferbloat A+ material.

EDIT: To be clear I'm not trying to be hostile. I have a dumaOS router and I'm also on a DOCSIS connection that shows the same upload bloat just like the OP mentions.

• Administrators

If you're not confident on the test would recommend using this guide while saturating the connection using Always and try different percentages until you find what lowers the most, would be interesting to see if it is as close as was set for benchmark http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

So now I am not sure about any of this. No matter what I change there is a ping spike about once every 10 mins on ping plotter. It doesn't matter what I change and how much I saturate the network it looks the same on ping plotter. Tried everything from 100% (which almost seems the best) to 10% on congestion control. I even tried disabling QOS completely.  

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, logan_001 said:

So now I am not sure about any of this. No matter what I change there is a ping spike about once every 10 mins on ping plotter. It doesn't matter what I change and how much I saturate the network it looks the same on ping plotter. Tried everything from 100% (which almost seems the best) to 10% on congestion control. I even tried disabling QOS completely.  

What is your exact physical setup? Are you using Always? Are you connected via ethernet or wifi?

• Administrators
9 hours ago, logan_001 said:

100% QOS. Everything else is a lot worse. Congestion control is set to always.

Try a different target, sometimes the Google server can be overwhelmed. Try a more local site like a news site and see if you notice a difference.

Tried several closer targets and I get packet loss mostly on the 1st hop around 60%, but end results is only about 10%. Nothing else I do stops those ping spikes. Anything lower then 100% QOS makes it worse. On a side note why doesn't the device manager stay up to date with devices on the network? I could be streaming on a firestick and it is showing offline in device manager. I am also confused on server connection on COD warzone. Does it show connected to a player instead of a server? 

geo.PNG

• Administrators

Could you post the results please? The device manager should show the devices that are online and passing data but I know we've had some issues with that during the beta, the next version should be better with this. Your Polygon is massive, you'll likely have a difference of 70ms ping between the coasts so would suggest restricting it to the half of the country where you live. It will be a server that is misclassified on the map as a peer.

The Polygon was just for the question. I usually keep small areas around the best server pings. I live in Pennsylvania and get better pings from Washington state across the county then a state beside me. Pics are in order from 50%, 75% and last one is 100% QOS.

ping heatmap.PNG

50%wgal.PNG

75%wgal.PNG

100%wgal.PNG

I have xfinity services as well and was testing different settings with my xr500. I moved the sliders up and down and noticed a lower percentage was typically better for avg ping (not by much though) but my upload ping has the exact problem with a huge spike in the beginning. Lowering the slider to very low settings like 10 to 20% didnt lower the avg at all, BUT it did take away that huge ping spike for upload ping at the beginning of the test, and made the graph look a lot more consistent.  However, the upload ping was about 15-20 ms higher than having a higher slider set up in qos, and having the slider so low can affect other devices. My brother has the r1 (both of us have the cm1000 modem) and his r1 got an update today that allows his r1 to auto configure the sliders in qos, and by doing so it lowered his upload ping to the same as his download ping (average wise). My questions are this; when will the xr500 get the same auto configure for qos, does download ping affect upload ping, and what causes a huge spike CONSISTENTLY with upload ping?

• Administrators
12 hours ago, KingXFocusedxX said:

I have xfinity services as well and was testing different settings with my xr500. I moved the sliders up and down and noticed a lower percentage was typically better for avg ping (not by much though) but my upload ping has the exact problem with a huge spike in the beginning. Lowering the slider to very low settings like 10 to 20% didnt lower the avg at all, BUT it did take away that huge ping spike for upload ping at the beginning of the test, and made the graph look a lot more consistent.  However, the upload ping was about 15-20 ms higher than having a higher slider set up in qos, and having the slider so low can affect other devices. My brother has the r1 (both of us have the cm1000 modem) and his r1 got an update today that allows his r1 to auto configure the sliders in qos, and by doing so it lowered his upload ping to the same as his download ping (average wise). My questions are this; when will the xr500 get the same auto configure for qos, does download ping affect upload ping, and what causes a huge spike CONSISTENTLY with upload ping?

Auto Setup for QoS is still being improved upon, at the moment it is too aggressive. We'll add it to the XR500 if Netgear want to include it. I think that spike is purely an anomaly, I don't think it's anything wrong with the connection, hence the sudden drop and it only happens at the start of the test. We will be improving upon the test.