Sign in to follow this  
logan_001

Connection benchmark XR500

What does it take to get an A+ on ping test? I can get my speed test and ping under load A+ but not ping. My average ping is 23ms. 

connection bench.PNG

I have done increments of 5 the whole way and that ping spike is always there, Any other ideas? I have Comcast business class 200 down 20 up. 

Connect a PC direct to your modem and open command prompt, type this and press enter:

ping 8.8.8.8 -t 

then when it's been going for a little while, maybe 30 seconds press Ctrl + C on the keyboard. Did you see any high spikes?

23 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay you can ignore that spike then, likely just an anomaly for the start of the test.

Can you please explain how exactly you came to this conclusion? The entire point of that connection test is to test bufferbloat, that means latency under load. Pinging google's dns and not seeing ping spikes is not testing bufferbloat in the slightest. Wouldn't it be plausible to suspect Comcast's DOCSIS connection which has notoriously slow upload speeds?

Maybe Comcast is already doing some shaping. They have DOCSIS 3.1 enabled in most states AFAIK which is supposed to have built in bufferbloat mitigations which may be clashing with DumaOS QoS/Congestion control.

9 minutes ago, Questionable said:

Can you please explain how exactly you came to this conclusion? The entire point of that connection test is to test bufferbloat, that means latency under load. Pinging google's dns and not seeing ping spikes is not testing bufferbloat in the slightest. Wouldn't it be plausible to suspect Comcast's DOCSIS connection which is notoriously slow upload speeds?

Maybe Comcast is already doing some shaping. They have DOCSIS 3.1 enabled in most states AFAIK which is supposed to have built in bufferbloat mitigations which may be clashing with DumaOS QoS/Congestion control.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The fact that after the ping is going up immediately and then going down to a stable level shows that QoS is doing its job preventing bufferbloat. So we know that is working and there is no spikes at all generally so it doesn't look like that would be the cause. The test obviously agrees that it is insignificant as it is rated A+. 

25 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The fact that after the ping is going up immediately and then going down to a stable level shows that QoS is doing its job preventing bufferbloat. So we know that is working and there is no spikes at all generally so it doesn't look like that would be the cause. The test obviously agrees that it is insignificant as it is rated A+. 

His connection is idling at 24 ping average and it's spiking up above 100ms under load, that's not working very well. The grade means nothing, it just means DumaOS is loose on the definition of "A+".  Pinging DNS while the connection is idle isn't proving anything.

Anyone else on that network saturating the connection is going to cause other people's gameplay suffer during that bufferbloat spike. Well it's more of a hill. Again, the entire point of dumaOS/QoS/Congestion control and all of their new 3.0 features like this connection benchmark test is to provide the best gaming experience possible. Now that we have these awesome tools at our disposal let's not consider all of that bufferbloat A+ material.

EDIT: To be clear I'm not trying to be hostile. I have a dumaOS router and I'm also on a DOCSIS connection that shows the same upload bloat just like the OP mentions.

If you're not confident on the test would recommend using this guide while saturating the connection using Always and try different percentages until you find what lowers the most, would be interesting to see if it is as close as was set for benchmark http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

So now I am not sure about any of this. No matter what I change there is a ping spike about once every 10 mins on ping plotter. It doesn't matter what I change and how much I saturate the network it looks the same on ping plotter. Tried everything from 100% (which almost seems the best) to 10% on congestion control. I even tried disabling QOS completely.  

40 minutes ago, logan_001 said:

So now I am not sure about any of this. No matter what I change there is a ping spike about once every 10 mins on ping plotter. It doesn't matter what I change and how much I saturate the network it looks the same on ping plotter. Tried everything from 100% (which almost seems the best) to 10% on congestion control. I even tried disabling QOS completely.  

What is your exact physical setup? Are you using Always? Are you connected via ethernet or wifi?