Nameless device

Just a general query, but I have a 'nameless device' on my network. It's showing as dormant and I can't delete it as it is being used (though no traffic in network monitor).

Only thing I can think is the BT Home Hub 5 is registering as a device as its running in router mode (can't turn it to modem I don't think). That sound about right?

It's not causing me any issues, I just like to know what's on network. Thanks

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

We try our hardest to detect as many devices as possible. But its a difficult task, because we can't buy every product under the sun and try it out. But if you were happy I'd love to have a skype with you figure out what the device is. Then add it to the system so future users can benefit.

However if you'd like to get rid of it. The simplest way is to reboot your router then go to the device manager and delete the device. Although it may reappear again so you could just block it.

But ultimately unless you see it on your "Network Monitor" it won't make a difference to you at all.

Hi' date='

We try our hardest to detect as many devices as possible. But its a difficult task, because we can't buy every product under the sun and try it out. But if you were happy I'd love to have a skype with you figure out what the device is. Then add it to the system so future users can benefit.

However if you'd like to get rid of it. The simplest way is to reboot your router then go to the device manager and delete the device. Although it may reappear again so you could just block it.

But ultimately unless you see it on your "Network Monitor" it won't make a difference to you at all.

[/quote']

Hi Iain, I'll d/l skype to pc and take you up on that. Just more curious about it than anything else ;)

• 2 months later...

Just to add to this thread as I feel it may help someone who may find it later: I had a 'nameless device' on my devices list and narrowed it down to a wired+wireless device that talks to the solar panels on our home. It is directly connected to the router via ethernet and wirelessly connects through the wifi to the panels to monitor the usage data they provide which then gets graphed onto an account management/monitoring page on the solar panel company's website.

• 2 weeks later...

The devices that are in the device manager as nameless -- I am inputing the name of the device and every so often they are going back to nameless.  I do not know if it is when I have to reboot the R1 and it forgets this information or what.  With the new update and the addition of cookies will this information be retained? Well this is kind of a loaded question because I have the new update and it is still happening. Just curious.

Guest Netduma_Iain

I think its if you restart the R1 before it saves itself(every hour). Remember if you want to reboot the router its much better to do it from "Settings > Misc" which saves the data instead. 

• Netduma Staff

I had several nameless devices and still do, after a little research the router lists my pc and laptop as seperate devices depending on if I connect via wifi or wire.

Its is because there is a different mac address for the network cards for wireless and wifi so when it sees a different mac address, it sees a different device also :)

Archived