XRM570 Website not loading?

Hi, I just setup the XRM570 system yesterday and once I had setup the QOS in the DUMAOS I went to DSLreports.com but the website did not open, I have had this issue before with Netgear Orbi and certain websites, although I wasn't connected to the EX7700 my phone and iPad were connected to the XR500. This morning the website loads again, testing last night if I took my iPhone off of the WiFi it would connect to DSLreports without issue but not with the WiFi on.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you experiencing this with ALL the devices you have connected or just the iPhone?

This was on my iPhone and iPad, I didn’t try it on my PC which is wired. It was every wireless device for sure. 

I also have another question, my internet is on average 60-61Mbps down and 17Mbps up. I have set the Anti-Bufferbloat to “When High Priority Traffic Detected”, download slider at 84% which leaves me 50.4Mb when someone is gaming on Xbox.

I play on Stadia so have set Chromecast to 50% on Bandwidth Allocation, giving it a reserved 25.2Mbps when required and Share Excess is on, my thinking behind this is so I can play at 1080p on the Chromecast without getting interruptions when someone else is watching Netflix, Plex etc. Once the rest of the house is asleep I can bump up to 4K. From looking in the Network Monitor I can see that Stadia peaks up to around 25Mbps or sometimes higher so that’s the reason for the 50% Bandwidth Allocation. 4K says 35Mbps but I’ve seen it go much higher so I don’t want to reserve 45Mbps only leaving 5Mbps for the rest of the house. 

Long story short is that about the best I can do for Stadia without improving my internet speed which is not available at the moment for me in my area. I have also signed up for the DumaOS 3 beta. 

To add onto the above, with those settings for Stadia I was getting some issues I have never experienced before. The picture was fine and the game was showing with a green excellent but the audio on games at 4K which is what I was playing at, didn’t try 1080p was having serious sound breakup.

I then went through and started disabling QOS settings and I’m pretty sure at least so far that keeping everything on except the Bandwidth allocation has fixed the issue, somehow reserving 25Mbps for the Chromecast made it perform worse. I will keep testing to see if this has resolved it but would love to know why?

Testing at 1080p with my original QOS settings above seems to run totally fine, I would imagine that to play at 4K I really need no other traffic especially gaming traffic which makes me lose 10Mbps of my connection anyway. It was just strange that I have never experienced the audio stutter before but it must be a bandwidth issue as I haven’t noticed them at 1080p at all. 

• Administrators

Are you still having the loading issue? I would recommend you lower Anti-Bufferbloat a bit more to about 70%, still plenty of bandwidth for everything but with it being such a bandwidth intensive application/service it has the ability to introduce a lot of latency. Would also disable Traffic Prioritization as well as that could be making it worse.

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you still having the loading issue? I would recommend you lower Anti-Bufferbloat a bit more to about 70%, still plenty of bandwidth for everything but with it being such a bandwidth intensive application/service it has the ability to introduce a lot of latency. Would also disable Traffic Prioritization as well as that could be making it worse.

The loading issue was just on the first day and I haven’t  Found another site that is doing it since so far. 

I don’t really understand why having it so low is worth while, when my son games on the Xbox I lose 10Mbps as it is when it is set to 84% already and the Xbox live traffic is not using anywhere near 10Mbps. If I set it to 70% that goes down further to 42Mbps and I lose 28Mbps of speed.

Stadia at 1080p uses 25-30Mbps so there would only be 12Mbps left for people and that wouldn’t be enough. 

Traffic prioritisation would make Stadia worse? Causing the audio lag? That seems to only happen at 4K 

• Administrators

Okay great! If it is causing latency then further restricting Congestion Control should limit this. It should not have too much impact on other devices by going that low, if it does raise it to 75 or 80%. Traffic Prioritization supersedes QoS, this is normally fine as it's usually low bandwidth traffic but as the Stadia is a live streaming gaming device this could cause issues as QoS won't properly apply to it.

53 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay great! If it is causing latency then further restricting Congestion Control should limit this. It should not have too much impact on other devices by going that low, if it does raise it to 75 or 80%. Traffic Prioritization supersedes QoS, this is normally fine as it's usually low bandwidth traffic but as the Stadia is a live streaming gaming device this could cause issues as QoS won't properly apply to it.

I turned off Traffic Priority and that seems to have fixed the issue for Stadia 4K, however my son has been complaining that his Fortnite games have been lagging, this was before turning off traffic prioritisation and after. Basically normally we have a ping of 14ms on Fortnite, climbs a little when on the battle bus but he also showed me that he is getting spikes where you see a WiFi symbol and his ping goes up to 280ms then comes back down.  

Would this just be from high traffic on the network and not having traffic prioritisation on?

The Xbox is connected via 5Ghz and has a signal rate of 24dBm

Looking in the Network manager 1 video stream and Chromecast instantly chew up 50Mbps and that’s what is currently happening. 

Also had an issue with a WiFi device not being able to connect to the WiFi, it got kicked off and then wouldn’t reconnect, was just getting a 169 or something IP address, I had to forget the WiFi network and reconn3ct for it to register. Seemed to be a big WiFi lag spike when it happened but only one device got kicked. 

• Administrators

Okay so add his console to Traffic Prioritization with the Games Console service - that will give him a good connection but won't be enough traffic to disrupt the stadia. If you have to play via WiFi on the Xbox I would recommend connecting to 2.4GHz as it is more stable. 

Are you using Smart Connect as that disconnect could happen if it tried to switch to 2.4/5GHz based on need - some devices don't work well with that so suggest disabling it and connecting manually.

23 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so add his console to Traffic Prioritization with the Games Console service - that will give him a good connection but won't be enough traffic to disrupt the stadia. If you have to play via WiFi on the Xbox I would recommend connecting to 2.4GHz as it is more stable. 

Are you using Smart Connect as that disconnect could happen if it tried to switch to 2.4/5GHz based on need - some devices don't work well with that so suggest disabling it and connecting manually.

I will try the console service but his Xbox was the only gaming device using the network for that when it was causing trouble with the DumaOS classified games. 

I am using the Smart connect due to the EX700 for the mesh, however this was an iPad and when I had Google WiFi it worked without issue when switching between the two.

Also can traffic prioritisation cause lag on voip calls and things like that?

• Administrators

Hard to say why that occurred but should be fine with that console service. Understood, use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel just in case you're getting wireless contention. No it should be fine - are they being prioritized?

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hard to say why that occurred but should be fine with that console service. Understood, use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel just in case you're getting wireless contention. No it should be fine - are they being prioritized?

The 5ghz is on channel 100 and the only other network is on 44 so should be good on that I think. 

No VOIP is currently prioritised but I just wondered with the Traffic Priority causing issues with audio via Stadia if it causes VOIP to get queued and therefore lag as well. I can’t currently test the console prioritisation but hopefully it doesn’t mess with the Stadia audio. 

Having no traffic priority definitely sorted the issue earlier as the network was under stress and there was no audio stutter. 

When adding a device there is no PC game system setting like the console setting so I would have to enable the Duma OS classified for PC gaming if the game isn’t in the drop down box. 

Does anyone at Netduma have experience with Stadia and your system? I know it’s a niche product and a different beast that pure gaming traffic. 

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Glad to hear that sorted it. I believe we are actually looking at Stadia to see if we can implement anything specifically to give you a smooth experience.

I haven’t tried just having the Xbox priority setting yet, what I meant was when I turned traffic prioritisation off completely earlier in the day, it seemed to fix the error.  

However between then and now I have re-enabled the Duma OS traffic setting anyway as there isn’t just a PC game setting like there is for console so I need to have that on for the gaming PCs to be prioritised. This is what I was saying above. 

Having the Duma OS enabled only seemed to effect the 4K gameplay and not the 1080p, it’s a weird scenario as it requires both someone else gaming and myself to be playing Stadia at the same time to test so it might take me a while to get there again. I may just have to stick to 1080p if it’s going to cause an issue, my only thought was that when using traffic prioritisation and playing at 4K while someone else is gaming takes it so close to my bandwidth limit especially with the 10Mbps loss that it means the audio gets stuck too long in the queue causing it to lag. 

34 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Use the Game Console service for the PCs and they will be prioritized so you can do that without prioritizing the stadia, if you do that then you should be fine when using 4k.

Do you think that the DumaOS setting is prioritising Stadia? I will check that in a minute, I never thought of that.

Does the DumaOS setting cause more traffic that the games console service, what is the difference?

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Yorkshirelion said:

Do you think that the DumaOS setting is prioritising Stadia? I will check that in a minute, I never thought of that.

Does the DumaOS setting cause more traffic that the games console service, what is the difference?

Yes that is what I suspect as DumaOS Classified Games will prioritize any gaming device it detects. So by disabling this and manually prioritizing the other devices instead it will prevent the Stadia getting prioritized. Classified Games is more automatic and Games Console service prioritizes the same but applies to specific devices.

51 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that is what I suspect as DumaOS Classified Games will prioritize any gaming device it detects. So by disabling this and manually prioritizing the other devices instead it will prevent the Stadia getting prioritized. Classified Games is more automatic and Games Console service prioritizes the same but applies to specific devices.

Damn I gave this a go,  All Devices Classified games and when playing Stadia the High Priority Traffic detected does not light up. 

Im also getting complaints about Fortnite still as well, 14ms ping then around 25ms in game with spikes up to 280-500ms with the WiFi signal coming up. My previous system was google WiFi and this did not occur, the Xbox has a full connection to the XR500. I changed the Geo-Filter to Fortnite as well to test that. 

• Administrators

That was with playing a game completely on the Stadia? So if you enable DumaOS Classified Games again and remove any manual rules do you still see those ping spikes on Fortnite and do you still get the audio issues in 4k on Stadia? I wouldn't suggest using the Geo-Filter in Filtering Mode for Fortnite due to the way their matchmaking works you'll get freezing when trying to load into the game if you block a server as that is the time they attempt to make a connection so would use Spectating Mode and then back out if it's not the server you want.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That was with playing a game completely on the Stadia? So if you enable DumaOS Classified Games again and remove any manual rules do you still see those ping spikes on Fortnite and do you still get the audio issues in 4k on Stadia? I wouldn't suggest using the Geo-Filter in Filtering Mode for Fortnite due to the way their matchmaking works you'll get freezing when trying to load into the game if you block a server as that is the time they attempt to make a connection so would use Spectating Mode and then back out if it's not the server you want.

So I played Both Hitman and Grid on Stadia with just DumaOS selected and it isn’t detected as High priority. 

With the DumaOS high priority you see the ping spikes, I am not sure about when using just the console rule will ask tomorrow as its late here. 

I need to test the manual rules and without to see, it seemed to fix Stadia yesterday when I turned off high priority. 

I will put the Geo filter into spectator.