R2 Speed Test Bug??

ScottBot

How is it after trying all the sliders\OS options the speed test will show up to 50% slower speeds than what I should be getting? Is this a bug or is the speed test accurate and this R2 is just bottle necking my connection? Does the R2 have issues with 1000 up\down speeds? Has anyone else run into problems or issues with their R2 reducing their speeds by 25% or even 50%? 

• Administrators

What speed test are you referring to exactly? If you're talking about benchmark the speed part is unaffected by QoS and we'll be improving this to show speeds more close to expected results. Do you get better speeds using speedtest.net?

Yes I am talking about the benchmark page of OS, if I use speed.net my numbers are more to what I pay to have at my home but are still lower than they should be. In the benchmark in OS the speeds are crazy, most of the time your test gives me 50-60% lower than what I should be seeing. This is why I asked the question if the R2 is having trouble with 1000 up\down speeds? How am I going to use QOS and get the best out of this router if I can not trust what it tells me in the Connection Benchmarks? At this point I am at trail and error, setting this to here and there, then playing a few rounds to find if I feel a positive or negative effect. I am growing tired of the trial and error approach and would really like to know if some kind of update is honestly coming as I have grown tired of using my time to mess with this router and coming out with nothing positive from my efforts(As I am sure other customers are as well). 

Side note: My ISP was at my home a few days ago as I thought maybe my speeds were off on their side....The tech tested everything from the street all the way to my modem with top marks for connection speeds, so here we are with a router problem fellas.    

• Administrators

The Benchmark speed part will not be affected by QoS and we have no immediate plans to change this as it's supposed to be a test of your overall connection quality. Receiving slower speeds here will not affect your wider connection or means your speeds will be limited to this. What speeds are you seeing wired to speedtest.net for example? 

You should use Congestion Control and find a percentage that lowers the Ping Under Load the most in Benchmark and once you've done that you can rest assured that local congestion won't be an issue - though given your speeds this may not be as necessary. Once you do this and you've set up the Geo-Filter to force the closest/lowest ping server every time then you can leave it if that is what you wish to do. It is meant to be more interactive - at least initially compared to other routers.

Understood Fraser, QOS does not change my connection speeds. Do you understand that I pay for 1000 UP\DOWN and Benchmark Connection speed test gives me a 450, 500, 620 in my download and 550, 600, 650 in my upload speeds? speed.net will give me more in the 750 range for up\down but is still not as high as it should be, making me think the R2 is not able to run my speeds. Today I am receiving another router and will see if it will give me the internet speeds that I pay for, I will let you know how it does compared to the R2. It seems to me reading these forums of the different issues people are having that maybe the R2 should have been in the oven longer, it doesn't appear that the R2 was anywhere close to being stable or ready to be shipped to homes. Obviously nothing is ever perfect, sometimes things come up unexpected, this reminds me of EA releasing a game that was not finished knowing that they will just make updates and patches the next 8 months to finish it on the fly.    

• Administrators

Yes I understand that and we will be improving upon this but it's not actually what the router will be getting as shown by your speedtest.net results. If you disable QoS fully in the Congestion Control 3 line option menu do you receive higher speeds on speedtest.net? Thank you for the feedback, we'll be able to solve any persistent issues quickly, we've got a firmware out soon that will be more stable.

The speeds were the same after I disabled QOS in the Congestion Control menu, the only change I found was that my console was no longer connected to the internet until I put the QOS back to normal. The other router has been showing me my normal speeds, also my ISP told me that my upload speed was being fixed and I noticed it on the day it was fixed at the correct range of speeds. I took the R2 out and tested it, the good news was that the R2 was showing my upload in the normal ranges, bad news was that my downloads were still extremely low. At this point I will just park the R2 in the closet and try again after there is a firmware update or something else to try as I really have been all over trying everything with this R2 with nothing to show for my efforts. Thanks for your time Fraser, much appreciated with the swift replies from you, I will see you when this update is let out and my fingers are crossed hoping for the best. Cheers mate. 

Hi Scott can I ask if you performed a factory reset at any point?

if not it’s worth doing a reset just in case there was a hiccup along the way. If this shows the same issue with your speed tests it may be worth installing the firmware over the top again followed by a reset then test again.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, ScottBot said:

The speeds were the same after I disabled QOS in the Congestion Control menu, the only change I found was that my console was no longer connected to the internet until I put the QOS back to normal. The other router has been showing me my normal speeds, also my ISP told me that my upload speed was being fixed and I noticed it on the day it was fixed at the correct range of speeds. I took the R2 out and tested it, the good news was that the R2 was showing my upload in the normal ranges, bad news was that my downloads were still extremely low. At this point I will just park the R2 in the closet and try again after there is a firmware update or something else to try as I really have been all over trying everything with this R2 with nothing to show for my efforts. Thanks for your time Fraser, much appreciated with the swift replies from you, I will see you when this update is let out and my fingers are crossed hoping for the best. Cheers mate. 

That's very odd but understood, I respect your decision. We should have the firmware very soon so shouldn't be too long to wait. If it's still an issue on the new firmware we can see if a dev can help. A reset as above would be good if you haven't done it already.

Yes Newfie and Fraser, I have done the factory reset more times than I can remember. Every time I would feel like I was getting the R2 to run stable for longer than a day or so I would see packet loss in my game settings with lag spikes. I would then go into the OS and look around running a connection test and sure enough everything would be totally testing different in the DumaOS. Factory restart later or hours spent with sliders or changing the option to NEVER for full bandwidths would only maybe show brief improvements but never lasted long before showing more packet loss. I have given up on trying to get my full Downloads speeds, I have given up on connecting everything I wanted to have running through the R2, BUT even still........With only Modem ---> R2 -----> Console, I get some hours of game play before I am spiked with the packet loss and the games are just laggy. I have also asked my ISP to monitor my connection as I wanted to be certain that the spikes were not coming from their side. They have again told me that things are getting to me no lower than 90% with my speeds, but I will know in a few days if I had any major lags from their end over the past few days. Even so, if my ISP dropped or spiked, it should not send the R2 into some tail spin where I should have to factory reset it. IT IS OBVIOUS that something is not on the level here and that this little machine is not performing as anticipated. Lesson learned, NEVER Pre Order anything or be near the first to order, its hard to sleep with all the BUGS the R2 bring to our beds.  

• Administrators
9 hours ago, ScottBot said:

Yes Newfie and Fraser, I have done the factory reset more times than I can remember. Every time I would feel like I was getting the R2 to run stable for longer than a day or so I would see packet loss in my game settings with lag spikes. I would then go into the OS and look around running a connection test and sure enough everything would be totally testing different in the DumaOS. Factory restart later or hours spent with sliders or changing the option to NEVER for full bandwidths would only maybe show brief improvements but never lasted long before showing more packet loss. I have given up on trying to get my full Downloads speeds, I have given up on connecting everything I wanted to have running through the R2, BUT even still........With only Modem ---> R2 -----> Console, I get some hours of game play before I am spiked with the packet loss and the games are just laggy. I have also asked my ISP to monitor my connection as I wanted to be certain that the spikes were not coming from their side. They have again told me that things are getting to me no lower than 90% with my speeds, but I will know in a few days if I had any major lags from their end over the past few days. Even so, if my ISP dropped or spiked, it should not send the R2 into some tail spin where I should have to factory reset it. IT IS OBVIOUS that something is not on the level here and that this little machine is not performing as anticipated. Lesson learned, NEVER Pre Order anything or be near the first to order, its hard to sleep with all the BUGS the R2 bring to our beds.  

I've sent you a PM, see if that works better for you.

I know you are up to your ears Fraser but I just wanted to update you a bit. I used the PM and no for my download speeds the Benchmark test is almost always in the mid 400s out of 1000mbps. Every so often it will get up to 720mbps but then the next test it is gone and back to the 400s, I also believe this could be why my sliders are so hard to figure out, as when I use the option for the R2 to search my speeds in the menu it often comes up with 300s, 400s, even 200 range. It is clear that the R2 can not even detect the internet that I am connecting into it. I have recently had a friend loan me his back up router, a X6 R8000. I have been able to find with online speed tests that the X6 is hitting 800s and never below 725. My ISP has advised me that they have and sell a router that they know can run 1000mbps, although I am now super annoyed. I have to get my friends router back to him, I have an R2 that is doing almost nothing, and I may have to buy yet another router just to get my internet speeds to run proper. I read in forums about people crying about WiFi speeds......Im sorry but if you bought the R2 for WiFi then those people are not reading the specs as the R2 is weak at best for wireless, yet you have openly said how there will be an update to address the WiFi.......What about all the issues with people not getting connections or their full speeds? Seems like top priority would be people getting to use the router that they paid for.....? Right?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, ScottBot said:

I know you are up to your ears Fraser but I just wanted to update you a bit. I used the PM and no for my download speeds the Benchmark test is almost always in the mid 400s out of 1000mbps. Every so often it will get up to 720mbps but then the next test it is gone and back to the 400s, I also believe this could be why my sliders are so hard to figure out, as when I use the option for the R2 to search my speeds in the menu it often comes up with 300s, 400s, even 200 range. It is clear that the R2 can not even detect the internet that I am connecting into it. I have recently had a friend loan me his back up router, a X6 R8000. I have been able to find with online speed tests that the X6 is hitting 800s and never below 725. My ISP has advised me that they have and sell a router that they know can run 1000mbps, although I am now super annoyed. I have to get my friends router back to him, I have an R2 that is doing almost nothing, and I may have to buy yet another router just to get my internet speeds to run proper. I read in forums about people crying about WiFi speeds......Im sorry but if you bought the R2 for WiFi then those people are not reading the specs as the R2 is weak at best for wireless, yet you have openly said how there will be an update to address the WiFi.......What about all the issues with people not getting connections or their full speeds? Seems like top priority would be people getting to use the router that they paid for.....? Right?

We are aware that benchmark is reading slower than other sites but it doesn't mean the router is actually receiving those speeds. What speeds do you get via ethernet to the R2 if you've put your expected/paid for speeds in and have QoS disabled on speedtest.net? People not getting connections is most likely to do with the setup/ISP and speeds we'll improve the reporting of benchmark and via wifi but actual wired speeds should be fine.

On 9/12/2020 at 6:38 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

We are aware that benchmark is reading slower than other sites but it doesn't mean the router is actually receiving those speeds. What speeds do you get via ethernet to the R2 if you've put your expected/paid for speeds in and have QoS disabled on speedtest.net? People not getting connections is most likely to do with the setup/ISP and speeds we'll improve the reporting of benchmark and via wifi but actual wired speeds should be fine.

OH silly me, I thought the information that the R2 I paid for was giving me real time information about my settings and what my internet was doing going into my network. Fraser, please tell me what I actually paid for with the R2 and what I should use it for? Do you have any other insider tips about how the R2 is or is not working? 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, ScottBot said:

OH silly me, I thought the information that the R2 I paid for was giving me real time information about my settings and what my internet was doing going into my network. Fraser, please tell me what I actually paid for with the R2 and what I should use it for? Do you have any other insider tips about how the R2 is or is not working? 

As far as I am aware the only issues you're having yourself is Connection Benchmark not reporting the speeds you're actually getting and WiFi is that right? They will both be resolved. As long as you're getting good speeds as confirmed by speedtest.net then that's the main thing - you don't want to be unnecessarily restricted. The ping results will be far more important than the speed aspect. What do you mean what you should use it for?