Hybrid VPN - QoS/Geolocation not working

Greetings,

I recently made the switch to Gigabit Fiber Optic internet and found that my R7000 router was struggling to keep up with the new bandwidth.

Just upgraded to an XR500 and have been astounded at the features and capabilities of this router, set up the new router in minutes and had QoS and Geolocation working flawlessly.

This weekend I decided to purchase a NordVPN account (as suggested by a friend to increase security), and followed the tutorials on how to set up Hybrid VPN. Got it working and tested the connection on multiple devices, all of which worked as expected.

Once I set up my PS4 console, I played a few games of Call Of Duty Warzone and the first thing I noticed is that the High Priority Traffic monitor never turned on when I started the game (which it did before I added the Hybrid VPN setup). Even after connecting to a server and joining a game, the light never came on.

I also noticed that the Geofilter page doesn't display any connected servers and the AutoPing is blank even when I'm in the middle of a game.

I tried restarting the router and the PS4, and when i joined a game the High Priority Traffic light came on, yet the High Priority packets stayed at 0 for both download and upload the whole game and Geofilter was still blank.

Once I disabled Hybrid VPN for my PS4 everything went back to working as usual.

I'm not sure why these features seem to be broken when using a VPN, I could see Geofilter getting messed up routing through the VPN servers maybe, but QoS and traffic priority should be dealt with solely on the router... right?

Does anyone have any solutions or ideas for this issue? I searched the forum but was unable to find anyone else having this exact issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You're creating a tunnel direct between you and the VPN server so that's all the router sees, so it can't tell that you're connecting to game servers. Likewise with Traffic Prioritization, the packets that are being returned to the router are not detected as a game because it comes directly from the VPN server. Unless you're a big time streamer or legitimately worried about being DDoSed then it isn't worth using a VPN when gaming - it will also add latency.

Interesting, thanks for the quick reply.

So I should only use the VPN for everything but my console and only for browsing on my PC.

Good thing Hybrid VPN allows me to configure all that... 😁

You guys are top-notch.