Adblock question

Rangewonk

What exactly does the Adblock do?

Does it block things like paid ads on the side of pages, or is it more of a security feature?

I enabled it for one minute and it blocked 200 queries? I wasn't even on any websites, so unsure what this means.

I have the Adblock extension on Chrome, does this do a similar thing or have I got the wrong idea here all together? 

I currently have overwatch open and have noticed its blocked "Telemetry-in.battle.net" 7 times. Is this something bad?

• Administrators

Adblocker is exactly like that Chrome extension for your PC but for ALL the devices on your network. For example, you wouldn't normally be able to block ads on a Smart TV but now you can. Something like sponsored/paid ads on the side of Facebook for example it won't block. As well as ads it blocks malware and sites etc trying to track you e.g. Facebook will actually track you across the internet even if you're not on it. No it's not bad, telemetry means they're collating data to help improve the game/launcher or to help with bugs etc.

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, Rangewonk said:

Ok so I assume its best to keep it enabled by default?

It's blocked 57,750 queries in 18 hours. Is that usual?

Does it have positive / negative effects on bandwidth/ping or make no difference at all?

That is entirely up to you really. Well if you use the internet a lot then that is great, especially if you haven't noticed it blocking things you want to see. My brave browser before using the R2 showed 150k blocked and given you're using it across all your devices then it would be high. 

Negligible really, if you had a data cap though it would actually save you data.