Netduma with Sky

Macca65

I recently moved home. The current ISP is Sky, which didn't appear to be a problem. I disabled the Sky wireless on the hub when I set up the Netduma, and things seemed to be ok. But I seem to be getting lobbies with 160, 200ms ping which has never happened before. Is there anything else I should do besides turning the wireless of on the sky hub. When I take the Netduma off, and just use the sky hub I can't even get into a game, just says I have been disconnected yada yada yada! Playing BOps MW. Anyone any ideas?

Hi Fraser, this has been going on since March!. I think ( alas) is the Duma is going to the modem graveyard! But before I ditched I just wanted to see if there something I have not done. Even when I have the Duma connected it is not getting me games within the set parameters, it searches and the ping increases all the time to around 192ms. I also get the little white dots on the screen which I assume is packet loss! 

• Administrators

If you can't use the Sky hub to get a game then the R1 wouldn't be able to do anything as it relies on the internet from the Sky hub. So I think it's probably the hub that needs to go to the graveyard, have you called them about it. That ping and packet loss definitely sounds like a hub issue.

I tried you you just can't get through to them, because of Covid, lol. To be fair the hub works fine in all other ways, just can't get a game. If I attach the Duma, the green lights are constantly flashing they never go steady, which I never noticed before. The last couple of days if I connect the Duma, it tells me I am connected without internet. Take of the Duma and the internet is fine. Thats why I thought there was something I missed in connecting it up to the Sky hub, but maybe the Duma has gone, is there a way to tell? Thanks for your help Fraser

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Macca65 said:

I tried you you just can't get through to them, because of Covid, lol. To be fair the hub works fine in all other ways, just can't get a game. If I attach the Duma, the green lights are constantly flashing they never go steady, which I never noticed before. The last couple of days if I connect the Duma, it tells me I am connected without internet. Take of the Duma and the internet is fine. Thats why I thought there was something I missed in connecting it up to the Sky hub, but maybe the Duma has gone, is there a way to tell? Thanks for your help Fraser

When the green lights are steady it means there isn't any activity on the ports at that time. Might be worth doing a factory reset from the interface and then hopefully that will restore the internet access. Have you got the Sky details input into the router?

Not sure, I turned off the wifi on the hub and conneted the duma, it was getting me in games but ping was huge.  I did a factory reset and it didn't appear to make any difference. 

Hi Fraser, I have been using QoS, I haven't put the R1 in the DMZ as I couldn't figure it  out . I have tried factory resetting, and it takes forever to boot back up again. On the QoS side as well the R1 shows I have around 50 devices connected, when we have 7 some not always in use. I suspect it is the hub, I unplugged the R1 last night and the internet kept dropping off.

I suppose that could be a by product of me turning it on and off so many times!

Edit:

I have looked at the DMZ, and there ia an option to put in a DNS server, I know on the old OS it used to generate a a number in the blue bacground, never seen that on the new OS. So I am unsure what to put in the DMZ. Is it the Playstation IP you put in?

TIA

• Administrators

I think ideally you need to get that hub sorted out first before you try to resolve other issues as it's going to keep causing you problems by the sound of it. Maybe look into getting a modem instead. For the hub DMZ you would put the WAN IP found in the System Information page of the R2 in. Also would you be interested in helping us with our device classification system given you've got so many devices?

Hi Fraser, 

We only have 7 devices, it is the R1 that says I have at least 50 devices! ? I will try the putting the R1 in the hub DMZ, see if that redolves the issue. I have a TP link modem, but so far the Sky modem has defied all my efforts to connevt it up! 

Thanks Fraser

Yeah, the micro filter, I have connected the tp link via the dsl cable and tried watching some YT vids, and a tutorial using a TP link, but it just refuses to get the internet.

If I knew what you were talking about I could say yes! I have put the passwords in that were in an article by Kevin Quirk but to no avail if thats what you mean lol. I thimk Sky just make it bloody awkward to use a 3rd party modem/ router.

Thanks Fraser

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Macca65 said:

If I knew what you were talking about I could say yes! I have put the passwords in that were in an article by Kevin Quirk but to no avail if thats what you mean lol. I thimk Sky just make it bloody awkward to use a 3rd party modem/ router.

Thanks Fraser

Haha fair enough. Try following this and see if it makes a difference (unlikely given you have a connection already) https://forum.netduma.com/topic/32036-netduma-r2-with-sky-dhcp-option-61/

Hi Fraser , eventually got through to Sky, and they agree there is an issue with my line. As soon as they say it's fixed. I am going to try and connect my TP Link instead of the Sky router and then connect the R1 to the TP link.