hybrid vpn on xr500 won't connect to any PureVPN servers

I have an xr500 netgear router. I set up the hybrid vpn after i obtained a PureVPN account username and password. I entered the username and password, following the Hybrid VPN guide in the support section of this forum. I selected PureVPN as the vpn service provider. For the country i entered UnitedStates, and then went through several different cities for VPN server locations. Regardless of using TCP or UDP protocols, only a few of them would allow me to connect and show "connected" but in game i could not connect to the game servers or play matches. They would all stall during the "checking for update" screen in modern warfare. I even tried restarting the router and the PS4 and I get the same issue. I have my log available. Please let me know what I should do next.

• Administrators

It sounds like we may need to update the configuration files we have. If you download the files from them and then use it in the advanced section of Hybrid VPN does it work for the server you want? Are you using the Geo-Filter and is the server much further away than your actual location?

Fraser,

All I was provided with was a user name and a password via email. I have not received any files from them. As such, I assume I cannot use the advanced section of Hybrid VPN unless I have those files? I have the geo-filter enabled for the playstation, however I have been keepting it in spectating mode.

UPDATE: I am finding that it allows me to connect just fine when I select only the country and let it autopopulate the rest of the server information (protocol, city, etc.). However, the problem now is that I cannot connect to the games data centers... according to the message received in game. Sometimes it will connect me to a game lobby however the game lobbies are unplayable. I assumed at least that the lobbies would have minimal rubberbanding, but it occurs about every 5-10 seconds.

Is there anything else you suggest that I do? Also, according to my router I have the latest version of the firmware.

• Administrators

You can download the OpenVPN configuration files from here to try: https://support.purevpn.com/openvpn-files

What is the game ping you're seeing now after connecting to the VPN? What is your original location? VPNs do add latency so that is expected and could be causing the trouble connecting as well. 

So I figured out the issue. PureVPN has some pretty unreliable servers regardless of the protocol selected, and in some cases all of the ones they display do not work at all. And when connected there's considerable latency even on US servers.

I switched VPN providers to NordVPN and found another post where I copied the text from the config file and it worked just fine. Checked on my PS4 browser and I was protected. No issues. Thanks for all of the help.