Network Noob Here!

Guilders

So I'll keep this simple, in the hope the replies will be the same lol

I'm no network whiz by any means, so looking for advice/guidance. Since getting the XR700 my XR500 is sitting gathering dust, so was wondering a few things, like setting it up for my son to use for his gaming etc so;

1/ Can I connect it to my XR700 and use it as an access point, and still be able to use the features like geo filter/Ping assist etc for the devices that connect to the XR500?

2/ If that is possible is there an idiots guide for dummies on how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

• Administrators

No that wouldn't be possible, AP mode disables all the features of the router. You could however use it in AP mode (Settings > Setup > Router Mode & switch to AP), his personal devices would appear on the XR700 as though they were directly connected to it and could be controlled from there? 

If you're using the Geo-Filter etc then that's not the best option. You could put the XR500 in router mode, then use the WAN IP and put it in the DMZ of the XR700. That should prevent him getting any NAT issues and allow him to use the Geo-Filter and not affect your settings.

Cheers @Netduma Fraser

So just for clarity, like I say not the best at this, I connect the XR500 into any of the ethernet ports in the back of my XR700 and assign the XR500 IP address into the default dmz server in the settings>wan setup?

By doing that he will gain full access to internet, and still be able to utilise the full capabilities of the XR500 (geo etc) whilst not affecting the settings I have in the XR700?

Only looking to do something like this because as soon as I start playing COD I change the settings, and if he is in another game, like destiny for example, then I change the profile from destiny to my settings then surely it will affect his game too? 

Hope this babble made sense lol

• Administrators

You've got it, that's absolutely right. You can use the 700 Geo-Filter completely independent of the Geo-Filter he can use on the 500 so your settings won't affect him and he can get an open NAT too. Just make sure you use the WAN IP from the System Information page on the XR500 and put that into the WAN DMZ on the XR700. If you use the IP you use to access the XR500 interface it won't work.

So @Netduma Fraser I connected the XR500 to the XR700 but when I go to settings for the WAN IP it just says 0.0.0.0, and I'm guessing that aint right.

So to give you some background;

xr500 connected to xr700 via ethernet into ethernet port on the back (not yellow connection)

power up

does get internet, but connection keeps reloading, no doubt due to double nat

when I go to find the WAN IP like I say above it just says 0.0.0.0

Where have I gone wrong?