Hybrid VPN not working properly

Hi There, 

I have recently purchased the XR500 and one of the main reason I bought this was for the hybrid VPN, now on one of my machines i use hidemyass to access a country restricted website, now if I use the app from hidemyass, I can get on to that restricted site. 

However if I set it up in my hybrid VPN and specify the machine, I can see the machine has got a different location and ip address but when I try and access the website it says it is restricted, so clearly it is not working properly, otherwise why can I do it on the same machine using the VPN providers app but cannot do this on the hybrid VPN? 

I have it set to VPN all traffic I have not set specific services, so it cannot be that. 

If anyone else has had this same issue, would be good to know if you managed to get around it, or whether you still cannot use it as it was intended. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify, have you added it with Do NOT VPN these services on the right hand side of Hybrid VPN? Set the DNS of the router in Internet Setup to the DNS of the VPN server, does that resolve the issue?

• 1 month later...

Hey Fraser, I've got a similar problem with my new Netduma R2 (just got it yesterday).

I'm using NordVPN, with the app on my phone, laptop, or PC, I can easily connect to other countries Netflix. Using the same VPN host servers via Hybrid VPN just won't work on my PC, or Raspberry Pi 4, but it does work on my Xbox One, PS4, and my android phone. I added the DNS thinking that would be the magic bullet with no success (at that time I was only working with my PC, hadn’t tried my other devices). I've been messing with this for hours and I'm out of ideas. 

As per your note above, yes, I'm set to Do NOT VPN these Services and as mentioned I've manually added the DNS servers for Nord. No idea why it works on my XBO, PS4, and phone but not on my PC, Laptop, or Raspberry Pi. 

One more odd thing, or maybe this is just how it works… I can’t change the setting “Do not VPN these services” to “Only VPN these services”. It's greyed out for my Xbox One and PS4.  Any ideas on that? Is this normal?  I've removed the devices and re-added them. I removed all the devices and only had my Xbox One setup, still no go.

My public IP does indeed change so it looks like I'm routing through the VPN, but for services like Netflix it still thinks I'm in Canada regardless of what country I connect to via VPN.  For my phone, XBO, and PS4 that problem doesn't exist and I'll get the correct Netflix catalog for the country I'm "viewing" from.   However, when I use the Windows NordVPN app, it works fine on my PC and laptop (haven't tried it with my Raspberry). 

Just for clarity, Nord has limits on the number of simultaneous connections, so I'm looking to use the Hybrid VPN for my wife and kids PCs/laptops to make life easier (less battling over who has use of the VPN and when hehe... ).  Otherwise it wouldn't be a big deal, I'd just use the Windows app, and btw.. I'm connecting to the same servers that I'm using on the app.  Thanks!

Edited by Max9R
Adding more info

Hey Fraser, I'm using UDP but I did try TCP as well without success.  Interestingly, I noticed that when I flipped to TCP, Netflix detected the VPN/proxy on my PC but it still works on my XBO and PS4. Now even after flipping back to UDP, it's still complaining that my PC is on a VPN all the while my XBO and PS4 work fine.  I think I might try contacting NordVPN, maybe they'll have some idea as to what's going on.

• Administrators

It's certainly very odd it is behaving differently for each given they're all using the same settings. Let us know how you get on with them and meanwhile I'll see if I can think of any reason it's behaving that way.

• 2 months later...

Hey, so after a lot of back and forth with NordVPN support, we weren't able to solve this issue. 

The HybridVPN works great with my consoles, phones, and tablets, but not with my Smart TV's or any of my PCs. After weeks of back and forth we have no idea why it doesn't work with the TVs or PCs, Nord seemed to think it was a DNS issue on my computers, but all of them? We tried multiple things in that regard, all without success. We're talking 7 in total all doing the same thing along with 3 TVs. 

Anyway I gave up. It's not a huge deal, if it works on my phone, tablets, and  consoles that's fine.  I wish it would work for my TV's but unfortunately it doesn't seem like that's in the cards.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

hello I'm trying to add the Apple TV to the vpn traffic after I setup Surfshark and when I selected and go back it will disappear like if I never added a device to the vpn traffic ,can you help please ?

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, National said:

hello I'm trying to add the Apple TV to the vpn traffic after I setup Surfshark and when I selected and go back it will disappear like if I never added a device to the vpn traffic ,can you help please ?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What web browser/device are you setting up the VPN on? How did you add the Apple TV to HybridVPN?

Ok on Firefox worked! And I meant back and forward in between Qos and then open hybrid vpn again,but anyways once I add Apple TV that means the whole device it’s on vpn? And also how do I test if I’m on that vpn on that Apple TV?

• Administrators

Great to hear that, ah understood, thanks for clarifying! Change the Mode to Do NOT VPN these services and then it will apply to the entire device. You could check the public IP using the web browser on the Apple TV