QoS issue on xr700?

Hello,

I have seen info there is a bug with PPPOE and something but i cant remember or be sure if this is the same one.

When i set the upstream and downstream sliders to say 70% they work and the speed tests reflect this.

However i dont know how long it takes but after a period of time the upstream setting seems to show as if its at 70% but when i run a speed test i get max speeds, then if i move the upstream by say 1% and it applies again, the speeds drop down to what i expect.

Is this the known issue or a different one?

Thanks

More details will no doubt be required so -

I am on Zen internet FTTP - so i have an ONT box.

This has the network cable to my xr700 directly.

Thats all the setup i have, the 3 pcs here are hard wired and connect to the router at 1gb.

I have various wireless devices connected too.

Hello,

I am indeed on PPPOE connection with FTTP, i havent manually added anything to prioritisation no and yes im on always for anti buffer bloat.

I use speedtest.net and for bufferbloat i use dsl reports.

I have been keeping an eye on it as it effects our performances in games when its not doing its thing on the upstream.

Ive seen it happen twice now in the last few days, only had the router about a week.

I will see if i can find a pattern with it and let you know.

I am using chrome newest version, it saves and works for a while then we notice games not playing right and then i see even though the setting for the upstream is set to 70% the speed test shows its not working anymore. i adjust it 1% re run the speed test and then its back to normal, its an odd one.

When the router first came i had some problems getting it setup to start with, it would ask me connection details etc and then open another window and ask the same things again, i reset the router when it came because of this and eventually after a few attempts i managed to get it working. Not sure if this would be relevant or not, also im on the latest firmware 1.1.1.24.

• Administrators

Could you provide a full screenshot of the page please? Also do you have another router that you could put in between the ONT and XR to handle PPPoE so we could rule that out and see if the issue still occurs?

The idea of getting this router was to try and fix/help with issues weve had when gaming and so i do not have another router spare no, cant afford to spend this much money and then another device to do what this should already do :)

I can provide a screen shot for sure, how close are we to 3.0? and will it 100% fix the pppoe issues as if not i will send this back as it is a lot of pennies invested?

We have been trying to define if we had a line issue or ONT box issue for a little while with our provider who seem clueless.

We had over a few months seen a strange problem when gaming, the issue was/is that after some hours of the router/ONT not being rebooted fps games seemed to act and feel like we were 1 step behind what we were seeing on screen, and the damage numbers/kills and games seemed to suffer a lot, like 1 to 200 damage in a game versus 1000 damage every game after a reboot of the router/ONT box. I have proven this several times on different times and days. But the pings remain at 17/23ms in apex for example.

Since we got this router i feel this has improved somewhat and am now testing if this weird issue is still present but i need the stability of the pppoe and router to effectively manage and collate data.

I must stress im not being difficult or funny just trying to do the best we can for me and the kids to game consistently and fix mitigate the issues we have.

I appreciate the replies and help.

• Administrators

I totally understand and I'm sorry I can't do much more. I do suspect PPPoE to be the issue there, it will be fixed in the beta yes, as to when that will be for the 700 I can't be sure so I don't know if it will be available within your warranty period. Are the ISP able to give you a modem/router?

Will that alleviate the issue if i can get one from them, they give fritz boxes normally?

And again im just having a hard time with our connection in general, is it a faulty ont box too or a provider issue, im unsure.

What do you make of this screenshot? it was while we played call of duty for a little while tonight, is the jitter something to be concerned with?

ping plotter results while playing cod warfare.JPG

This is with the qos settings above and on of course.

Just did an ONT reset, when the connection re established itself, the speed test showed the downstream qos was still applied but the upstream wasnt even though it was still setup as before. I changed the upstream by 1% and this re applied the qos on the upstream as expected, so thats one issue found. 

Again i will monitor and if i can replicate this in other ways i will let you know.

51 minutes ago, Scorps75 said:

ok what can i use as a modem for FTTP ? i may look at getting something if its not crazy prices?

try going straight into the fttp or ont with your console or computer your using to see if you still have those issues with being 1 sec behind

Hi, i have done this before just to check speeds and things like that, but i have 2 kids and a wife that would kill me lol if i solo the connection for a while. But i see your point, does anyone know if the vigor 130 supports FTTP ? i dont see it listed spec wise where i looked?

• Administrators

If they offer the Fritzbox then I think that will do it - you don't want it to be in modem mode because you want it to handle PPPoE so the XR doesn't have to. Then you can put the XR in the Fritz DMZ and disable the Fritz WiFi. I think that would be the best option, if you get a modem then the XR will still have to handle PPPoE.

I have setup the fritzbox as an exposed host and will see how it goes, i did try the fritzbox earlier but couldnt find what i needed. After you said your stuff i found a setup page for the `exposed host` on the fritz web site - https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7390/knowledge-base/publication/show/131_Setting-up-a-DMZ-with-the-FRITZ-Box/

by doing this im now double nat? how do i rectify this?

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.1......
  2    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.1......
  3     7 ms     6 ms     9 ms  vt1.cor1.lond2.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.72.23]
  4     7 ms     6 ms     7 ms  ae-3.pe2.ixn-lon.zen.net.uk [51.148.73.26]
  5     7 ms     7 ms     8 ms  ae-1.pe2.thn-lon.zen.net.uk [51.148.73.96]
  6     7 ms     6 ms     6 ms  ae-2.br1.thn-lon.zen.net.uk [51.148.73.117]
  7     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  72.14.223.28
  8     9 ms     8 ms     8 ms  209.85.249.149
  9     6 ms     6 ms     6 ms  108.170.232.105
 10     6 ms     6 ms     6 ms  dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.