[XR500] Wifi isolation issue

Hello,

I have bought the Netgear XR500 last week and I am facing some issues regarding "connections" between devices on Wifi 2,4Ghz, Wifi 5Ghz and Ethernet.

- I can't use my Chromecast (connected on wifi 2,4Ghz) with my Smartphones (connected on wifi 5Ghz)

- I can't access to my computer (SMB) (connected on Ethernet) with my Oculus (connected on wifi 5Ghz)

It seems there is a Wifi isolation issue. 

Firmware version : V2.3.2.56

Using "Orange France DHCP " profil

I am not using guest wifi.

I think it is a known issue (but i am not sure) , but is it planned to have a correction ?

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Yes this is something that is coming to light as an issue, if they're both using 2.4GHz for example does it work at all? Try disabling QoS fully and in WAN Settings toggling IGMP Proxying and make sure respond to ping is on - unlikely to fix but just making sure.

Hi, thanks for the quick answer.

Chromecast (2,4Ghz) - Smartphone (2,4Ghz) :   OK

Chromecast (2,4Ghz) - Smartphone (5Ghz) : KO

Oculus (2,4Ghz) - PC (Ethernet) :  KO

Oculus (5Ghz) - PC (Ethernet) :  KO

Still have the issue with Disabling QOS, toggling IGMP proxying and ping conf  

Do you know if this defect is planned to be corrected in a futur release ?

All combinations are KO

Tests results :

• Guest wifi 2,4Ghz (chromecast)  <-> Private Wifi 2,4Ghz (smartphone) : KO
  • Guest wifi 2,4Ghz   <-> Guest Wifi 5Ghz  : KO
  • Guest wifi 2,4Ghz <-> Private Wifi 5Ghz : KO
  • Guest wifi 5Ghz (oculus)  <-> Ethernet (PC) : KO

Ok, thanks, i am currently dealing with netgear support (the road will be long... they asking me to put the XR500 in AP mode :( )

During my tests, I have notice that ping is OK between devices in differents wifi "band". Does it means there are something like TCP filtering in this issue ?

• Administrators

Yikes okay, kind of misses the point there with AP mode! I have let our team about this as well in case they have any ideas/can make sure to look out for it in 3.0. That would be my understanding that something is interfering with the packets unnecessarily.

For info, in AP mode, there is no wifi isolation, devices connected in different wifi bands can communicate but I can't stay in AP mode, I lose all interest in this router.

Do you think I can test DumaOS 3.0 bêta in order to check if it's different before to return my product and refund ?

• Administrators

Exactly, the purpose of the router would be lost. Netgear decide on who/when to invite testers so I can't accelerate this unfortunately. How long do you have before the time window closes? They're inviting more people all the time so there is a chance you'll get it before that.