2.4GHz Wifi Sudden Slow Speeds

I am having an issue nearly daily where the 2.4GHz wifi speeds just drop down dramatically.  I'm on a channel that no other router nearby is on (11) and I have also tried channel 6 but it is the same.  The wifi will be fine and then all of a suddenly it won't be.  When this happens and I run a speedtest on my phone (holding it next to the XR300) it will drop from 23mb download (my normal speed) to around 2-4mb on the 2.4GHz wifi.  If I run a speedtest on my PC which is on the 5GHz wifi, the speedtest will be normal at 23mb download.  Rebooting the XR300 fixes the problem until it occurs again.  I am having to reboot the XR300 almost daily at the moment.

I have also tried turning off 'Enable AIRTIME FAIRNESS' but that didn't seem to have an affect.  I am running the latest firmware.

• Administrators

Does it appear to happen at around the same times e.g. peak time or is it completely random? Try disabling "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" in wireless settings and see if that helps please.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:59 PM, Newfie said:

Try a reset, use the rear pin hole method And set the router up as new. Do not use a saved config. Try this and see if it solves the issue.

I haven't tried this yet. When I upgraded the firmware as soon as I received the XR300 I did do a factory reset and then set it all up manually (didn't load a config). 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Does it appear to happen at around the same times e.g. peak time or is it completely random? Try disabling "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" in wireless settings and see if that helps please.

I haven't logged the time of day when it happens but my feeling is that it is random. Today I disabled beamforming, but I will enable that again and disable "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" now and see how it goes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since I made those changes the 2.4ghz wifi has been fine until today :(

I checked and ran speedtests on 2 phones and the download was around 2-3mbs again.  Running the speedtest on the 5ghz PC was normal at 22mbs.  Rebooting the XR300 got the speed back again on the 2.4ghz.

What shall I try next?

• Administrators

Great to hear it has been performing okay. Check the channels again, is it still on an uncongested channel? It could just be that the router needed a reboot, I have a feeling it might be related to a bug we're fixing for 3.0.

On 6/21/2020 at 8:53 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Great to hear it has been performing okay. Check the channels again, is it still on an uncongested channel? It could just be that the router needed a reboot, I have a feeling it might be related to a bug we're fixing for 3.0.

I'm still on an uncongested channel (I'm lucky they are not many other routers in the area). Any idea when 3.0 will be released? Also will there be a schedule reboot option? I had that on my last router and it's really useful.

6 hours ago, !TIMMY! said:

I'm still on an uncongested channel (I'm lucky they are not many other routers in the area). Any idea when 3.0 will be released? Also will there be a schedule reboot option? I had that on my last router and it's really useful.

You should not need a reboot router schedule. The only reason it’s required was bugs which should be fixed in 3.0. Routers should stay up and running with min reboots. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, !TIMMY! said:

It shouldn't be much longer. Not as far as I am aware but once 3.0 is out it could be added with relative ease. Has it happened again since you've rebooted it?