PS4/Switch nat issues and empty UPNP table

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to get around some NAT issues I've been having for a few months now. I can't play any multiplayer games on my switch which is listing nat type D and my ps4 is showing nat type 3

I've had no issues at all with PC games.. I've tried manual port forwarding, DMZing the devices and a basically every other thing I could find to try including setting nat type to open in the dumaos.

Another curious thing is that UPNP is enabled but the table is always empty..

My network situation is NBN (Australian National broadband Network) Fibre running into a fibre modem and them my XR500 is connected to that handling routing

Not sure what's up with the UPNP table but it looks like the NAT issue may be caused by CGNAT/ip6 with my ISP

They're going to test it with me tonight, I'll report back..

Welcome to the forum!

So you said that the PS4/Switch doesn't get an Open NAT even when it's in DMZ? Usually that would suggest that an upstream router wasn't opening ports for the XR500.

Since you're connected straight to a modem, you'd expect to have an unfiltered connection with all ports available...

As you suggested, I think this could be a Carrier Grade NAT situation.

After calling them yesterday they told me they'd escalate the issue and suddenly today the NAT issues are resolved. I spent 6 months thinking I had an issue with my Xr500... oh dear.

For anyone else having this issue it looks like as the carriers run out of IPv4 addresses they may start using something called CGNAT, there's a piece about it here

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/help-centre/nbn/tech-support/cg-nat/

It's not really the carriers "fault" as much as it is services still not migrating to IPV6 (sony, nintendo, microsoft)

I assume what this means is that they make you share an IP address with neighbors until you complain to them about it, and then they give you an IP address.

I'm glad this is sorted.