Would this configuration be much better?

Basically is it worth upgrading my router to change my network setup and would I notice better management on traffic for gaming.

currently:

ISP Modem (HH3000)  > Netduma R1 (DMZ’d)

Only Xbox connected to Netduma, the rest of all my home connection is going to ISP modem some are through Mesh wifi and some connected directly to modem

considering:

ISP Modem (HH3000) > XR500 (PPPoE)

All home connections Including Xbox go through XR500

ISP: Bell Canada 1.5gbps both ways

• Administrators

Well currently you wouldn't be able to use QoS or full speeds with your setup. With the proposed setup you would be able to get closer to your expected speeds but 1gbps would be the max. Really with your speeds you're unlikely to have local congestion but if needed you could prioritize your console with that new setup.

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Well currently you wouldn't be able to use QoS or full speeds with your setup. With the proposed setup you would be able to get closer to your expected speeds but 1gbps would be the max. Really with your speeds you're unlikely to have local congestion but if needed you could prioritize your console with that new setup.

So the only benefit would be is traffic prioritization? I was thinking maybe because I had the traffic still going through ISP modem which it handles all connections at home would be much better, such as packets...etc.

As right now I’m thinking maybe having Netduma behind my ISP Router is not giving DumaOS the full potential of its features since ISP modem is still handling the packets before it is being send to public.

ps: I hope what I typed makes sense 🤦‍♂️😂

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Well currently you wouldn't be able to use QoS or full speeds with your setup.

And in regards this.... so I can’t use the QOS of Netduma since it’s just being DMZ and not pppoe?

For speed I am aware of it, and I am not very concerned about it for gaming

• Administrators

Being in the DMZ means it is working well but as it stands it can't control all devices so it isn't being used to its full potential. It really depends on your household and how much bandwidth you use but it is still possible to get local congestion, traffic prio would be the more useful feature I would have thought for your connection. You couldn't use the QoS on the R1 because only one device is connected to it so it can't control the network properly, also I would have assumed you'd want it running at full speed which can't be done with QoS enabled but as you mention you're not you still won't benefit from it properly due to the first reason.