XR500 ISP IP Address Assignment Issues

Hi Duma team!

I'm having an issue with receiving an IP address from my ISP after re-booting my XR500 (this has worked with other NetGear routers I own w/ the same modem). 

I am currently using firmware version V2.3.2.56 with MAC address spoofing, but I am unable to get an IP address every time I reboot the router. The reason why I reboot is to resolve issues with QoS and Network Monitor not loading (and eventually failing to load w/ error messages). 

Upon reboot, I see 0.0.0.0 as my IP address with the status 'disconnected'. If I unplug my ethernet cable that's connected to my modem and re-plug it in, I am able to properly receive an IP address.

Any thoughts? Seems weird that I'd need to physically unplug a cable every time I reboot my router.

I've used the Nighthawk AC2600 with the same modem and setup with no issues receiving an IP address. I know you're not Netgear support, but I want to make sure that my issues aren't DumaOS related!

Thanks for your help,

Chris

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sometimes routers can be finicky about which order they're booted in, are you using a pure modem or modem/router? Try setting a static IP in Internet Setup so it should get a connection straight away without waiting to be assigned one.

Thanks Fraser!

I am using a pure modem with the XR500. Do you think setting a static IP would cause issues if my ISP changes the IP on my down the line? Not sure how common it is for that to change.

Also, I noticed that even with a static IP, the connection status remains at 'disconnected' until I either a) reboot the modem or b) unplug and re-plug the ethernet cable. 

Edited by SneakyFreaky

• Administrators

As it's a pure modem don't do that just in case. I think the best solution, although not ideal is to reboot both together when you do it or do the cable pull. There isn't a specific reason I can think of that would cause that to happen. It's definitely not something to do with DumaOS at the very least. How do you reboot the router normally? Perhaps it is to do with the way you're doing the reboot. 

I normally reboot the router through the 'info' popup in DumaOS. I really appreciate your help, especially since this doesn't seem to be DumaOS related. I'll keep messing around - maybe I can try factory re-setting the modem and starting again. I have a couple older routers lying around I'll test out as well, try to narrow down the issue. Thanks for your help Fraser!