How are my settings?

arky_4

Hi Guys,

I’ve only been playing COD since end of last year having always been a footie gamer previously so haven’t had these issues in the past. The problem is i'm getting very laggy experiences when playing warzone or multiplayer. In the past week ive upgraded my router to RX500 and messed with settings.....

Geo Filter

In game looks to be okay then suddenly its skipped and its jumps forward loads. I took a shot on someone, I’m still moving but everything else has froze next minute im dead. This might happen about 3/4 times a game. Looking at the Auto Ping from Geo Filter im getting 39ms Ping, Host Tick 21, Client Tick 59

Ping1.png.1ddde5cd1c9318ab904cf722b4ace1a9.png

This was similar for another....

Ping2.png.a46a9dd52eee9d8387ffbaa5e248737e.png

I did another game, which was marginally better without too many jumps and with similar figures both peer connections. This is all with nothing else pulling on the network.

I have only changed my location and ping radius to 2000km

I have 40Mbps download and 10Mbps Upload as my package from ISP

If I do at speed test on PS4 with nothing running I get 17.5Mbps Down and 3.6Mbps

Could anyone tell me if my settings need tweaking based on the below?

I have the following setup…

Anti-Bufferbloat 

Set to When High Priority Traffic Detected and 70% for both down/up.

Traffic Prioritization

Added PS4 device and Games console service, disabled DumaOS Classified Games

Bandwidth Allocation

This is the bit I’m really unsure about, ive put 1 for devices which would be very small on their requirement.

The biggest devices would be the PS4 which I obviously want performing the best, The Samsung TV and Ipad as these are the three which get used in the evening. The mac mini gets used for downloading on a rare occuration but I can always change as and when. My Synology NAS sometimes gets content played from it but not sure how much that will require.

1.thumb.png.8b45d97ca04ecd162f1736988bee0403.png2.thumb.png.b2f33aacac32347a2757bb1fed18148a.png

Download Set Device Bandwidth

PS4 = 13Mbps

Samsung TV = 7.7Mbps

iPad = 1.75Mbps

Synology = 0.86Mbps

Upload Set Device Bandwidth

PS4 = 4.5Mbps

Samsung TV = 0.3Mbps

iPad = 0.3Mbps

Synology = 0.12Mbps

I’m pretty sure ive got some of this QoS wrong but hopefully with some tweaks I can get much better performance.

I've been doing bits of reading and latency seems to be the key to all this which isn't necessarily internet speed or bandwidth.

I dont know whether changing the above settings will improve this or getting an improved package but some explaintation would help.

i'm not sure how revilant the tick thing is also as ive read stuff about the COD servers being poor.

Apologies for the long post but thought having more information is best! really apprieciate the help

Ping1.png

• Administrators

Your settings seem okay. Such a high allocation for the PS4 isn't necessary as gaming barely uses any bandwidth, rarely any higher than 1mbps at it's peak you can see in your auto ping screenshots that it hasn't gone higher than 0.3mbps. As long as share excess is enabled this doesn't matter too much though as other devices can grab any unused bandwidth.

When you experience the issues have a look at the in game ping/packetloss - do you notice anything there? It is normal for the ping to show higher than the Geo-Filter 30-40ms higher is normal - do you see it higher than this?

To really fine tune your QoS I would suggest doing a lot of downloads while following this guide and changing your Anti-Bufferbloat percentages (while using always) to find what lowers the ping the most/keeps it the most stable. http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Your settings seem okay. Such a high allocation for the PS4 isn't necessary as gaming barely uses any bandwidth, rarely any higher than 1mbps at it's peak you can see in your auto ping screenshots that it hasn't gone higher than 0.3mbps. As long as share excess is enabled this doesn't matter too much though as other devices can grab any unused bandwidth.

When you experience the issues have a look at the in game ping/packetloss - do you notice anything there? It is normal for the ping to show higher than the Geo-Filter 30-40ms higher is normal - do you see it higher than this?

To really fine tune your QoS I would suggest doing a lot of downloads while following this guide and changing your Anti-Bufferbloat percentages (while using always) to find what lowers the ping the most/keeps it the most stable. http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Ah right so effectively could have all of them on similar number on QoS web thingy? i did notice actually in the network panel how it wasn't going that high.

i'll have a look at doing that test to stablilise the ping this evening and report back.

8 hours ago, Sable said:

That 20hz tick rate lul 

Is this definitely a thing then? seem to hit ones with tick rate of 20hz a fair bit! although the ones with higher didn't seem much better.

2 hours ago, arky_4 said:

Is this definitely a thing then? seem to hit ones with tick rate of 20hz a fair bit! although the ones with higher didn't seem much better.

Was that multiplayer or warzone?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, arky_4 said:

Ah right so effectively could have all of them on similar number on QoS web thingy? i did notice actually in the network panel how it wasn't going that high.

i'll have a look at doing that test to stablilise the ping this evening and report back.

Yes that's right, if you disable share excess then they'll be locked to the bandwidth you allocate even if they need more or less which is why it is generally a good idea to leave share excess on. Great let us know!

Hi @Netduma Fraser

I've actually tried using PingPlotter before and sent the details to me ISP who in turn asked me to do tests with Terminal to come to conclusion theres nothing wrong.

Ive just done the test again (pic1) with nothing else happening on the network and hooked up with ethernet cable into the router.

It doesn't look stable and looks like theres packet loss spike just before 19:48.

I was going to test with other devices but it appears the start point is pretty bad? would that be correct.

It looks like it makes 7 hops (pic2)

955383475_Screenshot2020-05-06at19_52_30.thumb.png.2936bbc3e4bce1e9b8b8d44b9777b4c8.png

219749292_Screenshot2020-05-06at19_57_03.png.e55ed20e0558c6485ab1a72c7fbaee10.png

• Administrators

Sometimes there can be background processes that are running that you're not aware of, if you try again but first confirm nothing is using bandwidth in the network monitor, do you get the same results? It also could be that you're doing the test during peak time so your ISP may be having congestion which is normal - albeit frustrating. Try again later in the night as well and see if it goes down.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sometimes there can be background processes that are running that you're not aware of, if you try again but first confirm nothing is using bandwidth in the network monitor, do you get the same results? It also could be that you're doing the test during peak time so your ISP may be having congestion which is normal - albeit frustrating. Try again later in the night as well and see if it goes down.

There was nothing else going on the network monitor at the time.

I guess could go through and turn everything off to be sure but going to get the chance till tomorrow now.

• Administrators

That's certainly thorough, thank you. When you say Max Bandwidth used, did you determine that from the Network Monitor or is that what you've set in Bandwidth Allocation? I think part of the issue is for most of those tests you're using When High Priority Traffic detected but there isn't a game being played so QoS isn't applying at all.

90/90 actually looks the most stable, try 95/95 and 85/85 what do you get? 

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's certainly thorough, thank you. When you say Max Bandwidth used, did you determine that from the Network Monitor or is that what you've set in Bandwidth Allocation? I think part of the issue is for most of those tests you're using When High Priority Traffic detected but there isn't a game being played so QoS isn't applying at all.

90/90 actually looks the most stable, try 95/95 and 85/85 what do you get? 

The Max Bandwidth was what I saw it hit when on Network Monitor yes.

Ah right so you'd turn that to always for the earlier tests too? is that something which should be set to always all the time?

the 90/90 one does have 11% packet loss though 80/80 had 72% packet loss

Surely those packet loss are going to be causing me issues?

Unfortunately ive got to go into work tomorrow so can't perform anymore tests this evening.

• Administrators

Great, thanks for clarifying. Yes that's right, while we are testing the network using PingPlotter to find what Anti-Bufferbloat settings are best for you use Always. Once you've discovered what works best then you can switch back to When High Priority Traffic Detected (WHPTD) if that's what you would prefer. For packet loss we're really interested in the graph, a certain amount of packet loss is normal on hops but we want to make sure there are no red bars on that graph ideally so for those percentages I don't think that would present a problem. Below 70% might be better for you in which case if it the percentage that works best is quite low then WHPTD would definitely be ideal so you're not throttling all the time.

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great, thanks for clarifying. Yes that's right, while we are testing the network using PingPlotter to find what Anti-Bufferbloat settings are best for you use Always. Once you've discovered what works best then you can switch back to When High Priority Traffic Detected (WHPTD) if that's what you would prefer. For packet loss we're really interested in the graph, a certain amount of packet loss is normal on hops but we want to make sure there are no red bars on that graph ideally so for those percentages I don't think that would present a problem. Below 70% might be better for you in which case if it the percentage that works best is quite low then WHPTD would definitely be ideal so you're not throttling all the time.

Great stuff i'll look at testing those this evening. Whats the lowest I should attempt to go to before it becomes pointless?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, arky_4 said:

Great stuff i'll look at testing those this evening. Whats the lowest I should attempt to go to before it becomes pointless?

Considering your speeds probably 30-40% would be the cut off point, I suppose it depends how often you're gaming when other people are using the internet/streaming etc. 

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Considering your speeds probably 30-40% would be the cut off point, I suppose it depends how often you're gaming when other people are using the internet/streaming etc. 

I tend to be gaming in the evening whilst the mrs is watching netflix or on the ipad

• Administrators
1 hour ago, arky_4 said:

I tend to be gaming in the evening whilst the mrs is watching netflix or on the ipad

Okay so the percentages I mentioned will allow her to have good quality when streaming - if you had to go down that low.

• Administrators

I think based on those tests I would recommend either 50/50 or 55/55 as they're both relatively stable with just some spikes. I would be interested though in percentages between 50-55 and also 60-65. Did you try 45?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Netduma Fraser

Ive been playing COD today (multiplayer) and have noticed i'm getting some symbols (yellow) I had previously with my old router all the time.

When ever this comes on screen it tends to jump/skip. There would also be a variation of this but red which im guessing is worse and felt it.

258016128_Screenshot2020-05-16at18_19_57.png.e7b5312a0ff93795a8914b6a47fd4dbf.png

i had been running 45/45 so thought id change to 55/55 and it felt better but still got them. I was running the ping plotter at the same time and there wasn't a spike. Theres definitely nothing pulling on the network according to the monitor and the ping was stable.

Do we think this is to do with the peers server connection? whenever ive spoken to friends it doesn't appear they get the symbol I mean. 

They all seem to get the 3 orange squares as i do also.

Any ideas? I cant seem to find anything online which tells me what they mean but trying to establish where the problem lies.

I haven't see these for a while so its not constant either

• Administrators

If you had it with your previous router and your friends are also getting it then it sounds like it is the game. With everything going on at the moment the servers are under higher load. If you play during different times of the day do you see a difference in when the symbols appear?

My friends don't get it (Yellow/Red circular one) only the 3 orange square symbol.

I had it today around 16:30 - 17:00.

I'll keep an eye out and see if i'm seeing it at certain times.

Wish there was some documentation around the symbols.