xr700 vs xr500 Duma performance difference?

I have a 930/35Mbsp ISP. About a hundred devices in my home network (smart house with lots of IoT). I'm buying the router for QoS features. I don't care about wifi performance, I have AP's, I'm most concerned about max LAN ethernet speeds.

Does the xr700 perform much better than the xr500 since the cpu/memory is more? Or in reality is it not noticeable?  What would you advise? Don't mind spending the money for the xr700 if it's worth it. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Both routers should be able to hit those speeds no problem and if you're not concerned with WiFi speeds/range then really the difference is negligible in your case. In theory due to how many devices you have and the beefier hardware on the XR700 it would be able to handle it better but I don't think you would have any issues like that with the XR500.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Juicy360 said:

Thanks. And just to confirm The xr450 and xr500 are the same, only the radios are different? 

That's right, the XR450 has slightly less powerful WiFi.

Just saw the announcements about 3.0.  With the 3.0 features, and/or Rapp store I assume that could put a lot more value on the hardware in the xr700. 

Is your OS going to work with wifi6? I just noticed all the new wifi6 routers from Netgear that do not have your OS (they also stripped them down to bare bones features). Any idea when the next wifi6 Netgear Pro will be?

Any other vendors going to pick up your OS or are you exclusive to Netgear?

Guest Killhippie
7 hours ago, Juicy360 said:

Just saw the announcements about 3.0.  With the 3.0 features, and/or Rapp store I assume that could put a lot more value on the hardware in the xr700. 

Is your OS going to work with wifi6? I just noticed all the new wifi6 routers from Netgear that do not have your OS (they also stripped them down to bare bones features). Any idea when the next wifi6 Netgear Pro will be?

Bare bones features such as Bitdefender Armor (router based Antivirus) , Protected Management Frames to protect your Wi-Fi, WPA3 the latest in WI-FI security, OFDMA, TF Beamforming for older devices as well as implicit and Explicit beamforming, BSS Colouring, 1/2.5/5GB Ethernet/WAN port or link aggregation etc that's hardly stripped bare Its how routers operate without gaming software and unless you game you don't need a gaming OS. The XR500 should do you fine tbh. Its less  buggy than the XR700 at present too and has plenty of power. The XR700 I would say is simply not worth the huge price asked for it over say its original form as the the R9000. Personally I don't think DumaOS demands that kind of increase in price, especially since they have not released any meaningful updates apart from a Netgear security update really since December 2018 when Milestone 1.3 came out and we are awaiting the beta of 3.0 (sorry Netduma just saying what I see, there should have been patches for bugs in between Duma versions not a one year and 5 month gap)

Don't get me wrong, they are great wifi points, but they dropped the router features I'm looking for.  Parental controls, network monitoring, scheduling, no control over QoS. I had the RAX120 for a few days, returned it because it was all about the wifi, I had no control over it. If you are looking for the best wifi and have no other needs, it's great. I'm looking for the best router, that doesn't require me to have an IT degree, but gives me lots of control and home features. Really 3.0 looks perfect. Hope it all works as described. 

The 120 works great. 
QoS does need some work but you don’t need it with 930 down. 
XR routers are aimed at gamers, those wanting to have the routers settings on screen as they play. The 120 can handle anything thrown at it and has a huge bandwidth compared to the XR routers. 
one thing to consider is the ax router are still evolving with updates so more functions may well appear. Ive the XR500 and the 120 and if I’m honest I game fine on the 120 and I’m only on a 55 down and 10 up.

if you want absolute control and love having the ability to do whatever there is the R7800 and some cracking third party firmware or you have the XR series that has the more gaming orientated software. 

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Juicy360 said:

That is entirely up to Netgear whether they want to pursue putting DumaOS on a WiFi6 router but currently DumaOS is available on the Netduma R1, XR300, XR450, XR500, XR700. We're in partnership with Netgear. Right now we're just focusing on getting DumaOS 3.0 to the best place possible.

50 minutes ago, Newfie said:

The 120 works great. 
QoS does need some work but you don’t need it with 930 down. 
XR routers are aimed at gamers, those wanting to have the routers settings on screen as they play. The 120 can handle anything thrown at it and has a huge bandwidth compared to the XR routers. 
pone thing to consider is the ax router are still evolving with updates so more functions may well appear. Ive the XR500 and the 120 and if I’m honest I game fine on the 120 and I’m only on a 55 down and 10 up.

if you want absolute control and love having the ability to do whatever there is the R7800 and some cracking third party firmware or you have the XR series that has the more gaming orientated software. 

You are right 930 is not my issue. It's the 35 up that is. It's cable so it's inconsistent 20-40Mbps at times, and with 4 people WFH most on Zoom calls the upload gets saturated quickly. That's what I'm trying to control. Tried Asus, the features are great, but as soon as I used the QoS and limiters it came to a crawl and random freezes, disconnects. I've literally gone through a dozen of the latest routers trying them all. Some are great, but don't give me what I need. Others (like Asus) have it, but it doesn't work well. 

The XR700 just showed up. I'm setting it up now... Reboot...

• Administrators

Let us know how you get on/if you have any questions! Once you've gone through the setup I would recommend upgrading to this firmware and then doing a reset before configuring the router to your liking: https://kb.netgear.com/000061714/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-24-Hot-Fix

Installed the firmware. Having fun setting it up. Playing with the QoS. I like you can pin/customize the dashboard. 

Question - when I setup the router it did a speed test. But I can't find a way to do the speed test again from the router. Is that there? It's on the other netgear routes I've tried lately. 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Juicy360 said:

Installed the firmware. Having fun setting it up. Playing with the QoS. I like you can pin/customize the dashboard. 

Question - when I setup the router it did a speed test. But I can't find a way to do the speed test again from the router. Is that there? It's on the other netgear routes I've tried lately. 

Great to hear that! You can do so by starting the setup wizard again - you don't need to complete it though. Otherwise would recommend you do it from one of your devices so you know whether they're getting the speeds you expect, that's what QoS will affect, not the general speed the router itself receives.