XR700 won't broadcast wifi - several issues

Hi!

I have several issues with my second XR700 router. Here's my story:

First router: I had earlier bought an XR700 router (couple of months old) and was very happy with it. Suddenly it gave me multiple errors when trying to log in: "R-app is not loaded yet. Please try again in a minute". I restarted the router several times and left it unplugged from power a whole night. I reset it and was able to log in, but one of the cpu cores were using max "power", and the error appeared again. I decided to go back to the store and get my money back. I'm having home office and I work with IT, so this was a frustrating and stressful time.

I was under pressure and needed a router, and bought a RT-AX88U-router. If you don't have devices that support the new wifi-standard AX, the routers wifi-speed is crap. I got rid of it and bought a new Xr700 because i had been generally very happy with the product so far, especially the wifi speed.

Second router: I set it up and everything is good, until i wake up a couple of days later and there is no wifi (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) and no guest network being broadcasted. I turned it off for several minutes, pulled the power cable out, and eventually reset it. I follow the setup but the wps wont work (fine), but none of the wireless networks will turn on and broadcast, except the ad-network. In the routers settings it says my main networks are enabled, but none is broadcasting. I restarted my Macbook and iPhone to be sure it wasn't my devices being unable to find wireless networks. There is no LED indicating my router is broadcasting 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network.

After resetting the router to factory settings and walking through the setup i navigate to Settings -> Setup -> Guest Network.
The old password for my guestnetwork appears to have been saved (?!). Even though I've reset the router multiple times. The password was a funny name i inveted, and is not from fabric settings.
I am unable to activate any wifi (except AD), but the LED indicating wireless radio is on for some reason.

I use cable and logs in. I got the latest router update, hot fix 1.0.24, but my router says I have new updates available, which is the same update. Well, I'm desperate so i try to update because it says there is an available update. When trying to let the router update, it gave me error about it was unable to download update. Then it suddenly says "update in progress. Your router is about to update. Please do not switch it off. It will reconnect shortly". After waiting 10 minutes nothing happens. After waiting 20 minutes im trying to access the router in a new tab. I get this: DumaOS not loaded yet! Don't worry we will redirect you shortly.".

I reset the router again and found:
- Reseting does not clear all settings. E.g. TimeZone is not reset.
- When restoring settings from saved .CLS-file, not all settings are changed. E.g. Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence (settings -> Setup -> wireless setup) was not changed. The .CLS-file was supposed to unmark this option.
- Wireless networks does not broadcast or work, except the Ad-network, which i have no devivced for.
- There is something wrong with the WPS. The WPS-LED is turned off on the router, and I am unable to press "WPS Wizard" inside the router. The option is grayed out.

I managed to fix the wireless radio problem by downgrading to firmware V1.0.1.8. I then upgraded to V1.0.1.20 and then V1.0.1.24. But after a day the problem occurs, and no wireless network is being broadcasted.

I attached a logfile which is a few days old. The date and time is wrong in the log-file so please ignore that. I've removed MAC and public IP.

I am a very patient person, but now I'm starting to reach an edge. My questions is following:
1. I understand there is work with an update (DumaOS 3). When can we expect this update?
2. What can be done to resolve this problem, other than downgrading and upgrading every day?

Please check that these issues are addressed in the upcoming update.

Edit: I've signed up for DumaOS Insiders.

logfile-dumaos.txt

wireless_channel_error.png

wps_process_is_in_progress.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having those issues. The channel on that screenshot looks REALLY weird. What is that? I don't think the WiFi would have been tested with anything like that so may be causing issues there. Could you change the WiFi to defaults and see if it persists? How have you been doing resets on the router?

Thank you, and thanks for replying.

After a restart, two of the apps wont load, one of them being "Guest Wireless Status" and the other "Wireless Status".
I've downgraded to firmware V1.0.1.8 and upgraded up to .20 and then 24. No wireless networks is broadcasted. Wireless LED is off and I have enabled the option"Enable SSID Broadcast".
When trying to enable Guest network, I enable the option and push "Apply". The router start working and then reloads the webpage, but the option wont save. It is not enabled..

I've always reset by pressing the small reset-button with a pin for around 30 seconds, as stated in the user manual at page 220.

Are you able to forward these issues to the developers to make them aware? Or could you point me in the direction on how to do it myself?

Since i managed to temporary fix the broadcasting-problem by downgrading and upgrading, I suspect it must be software related. Am I correct to assume this?

Edit: I did a new reset with pin (35 sec) and went through the setup with default settings. I am still unable to activate the broadcasting. The channel-error appeared again.

script_error.png

default_settings.png

channel_error.png

Guest Killhippie

Looks like a hardware /NVRAM isssue I would suggest talking this back as you may have a had a bad batch possibly. Grab a XR500 they work very well compared with the XR700 at present.

• Administrators

That is really weird, what web browser are you using to access the interface and on what platform? I can see from one of your screenshots that it is not appearing correctly at all, I'm wondering if the method you're using to access means it is not accepting the changes you are making.

I bought the second router from another company, than than the first router was bought from.

I use a Macbook Pro Late 2017 mod with MacOS Catalina 10.15.4
Regarding web browser, i use Firefox v.75.0 64-bit.

Is there a possibility to get in touch with the developers and get some debug tool? I guess this could be valuable information to use for improving future products.

I tried Safari and got following:

channel_error_safari_browser.png

• Administrators

Could you provide a screenshot of the full WiFi page please - omit your SSID/Password. Also could you try accessing from Google Chrome and then go to Settings > Advanced Wireless settings - are both radios enabled there? If not enable them and see if the WiFi returns. If it is already enabled then disable, apply, reboot then go back, enable, apply and reboot again please and see if it works. If it's still an issue I can pass this on to the devs.

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you provide a screenshot of the full WiFi page please - omit your SSID/Password. Also could you try accessing from Google Chrome and then go to Settings > Advanced Wireless settings - are both radios enabled there? If not enable them and see if the WiFi returns. If it is already enabled then disable, apply, reboot then go back, enable, apply and reboot again please and see if it works. If it's still an issue I can pass this on to the devs.

Hi Fraser, it should work with Safari, Firefox, Opera, Brave, Edge, etc you should not have to download Chrome specifically for things to work, especially as Chrome I believe still has the pepper version of Adobe Flash player which is a major security attack vector. I do agree it does look odd, maybe they are using an adblocker/script blocker or some sort?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Hi Fraser, it should work with Safari, Firefox, Opera, Brave, Edge, etc you should download Chrome especially as it it may still have the pepper version of Adobe Flash which is a major security attack vector. I do agree it does look odd, maybe they are using an adblocker?

Yes that's also a possibility, not seen an Adblocker cause that but definitely possible.

• 1 month later...

Hi again!

Short version: I’ve resolved the issue by returning the product to the shop I bought it from. Bought instead a X10 and installed DD-WRT on it.

Longer version: Was under pressure due school and work and had to delay an answer. Used an old router in the meantime. I tried with several browsers, Safari, Firefox, Chrome and with other OSes like Ubuntu and Windows. I also tried deactivating AdBlocker. The problem remained the same: I was unable to activate my 2.4 and 5 GHz networks. When I went to the dashboard, I was presented with random characters in the Channel-field (picture). Went back to the store and got my money back.

Bought a X10 router with Netgear firmware on it. I was happy with the hardware,

but not with the software, so I installed DD-WRT on it. Now it works like a charm with multiple networks and provides me with WPA3-functionality.

Cheers!

wireless_channel_error.png