I need the ports for the VPN service selector (Firestick)

Tappy

I'm using the hybrid VPN on my fire stick. Now I'd like to keep my VPN running on this permanently. The problem I have is that Disney + won't work on the VPN, so I'd love it if you could give me the port details to the app. A little help with how to fill in the details of the service selector would also be appreciated. This would keep the peace in my household and save me future headaches.

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

I haven't been able to find any reports of what ports they use but regarding the VPN are you using it because the service isn't available in your country? Otherwise, it can not work sometimes with a VPN if there is specific content that may not be available in that location. Another possibility is that they've blocked the specific VPN server that you're using and so using another may work.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I haven't been able to find any reports of what ports they use but regarding the VPN are you using it because the service isn't available in your country? Otherwise, it can not work sometimes with a VPN if there is specific content that may not be available in that location. Another possibility is that they've blocked the specific VPN server that you're using and so using another may work.

Hi Fraser. Thanks for replying. I've tried Disney + on a few different servers and doesn't seem to work on anything outside of my region (UK). Unless they've blocked all the VPN servers I've tried.

I really wanted the firestick on an American server as Netflix has so much more choice.

While searching the forum (before making this thread) I found something that Alex wrote. I figured you guys might be able to do some wiresharking.

• Administrators

We don't have access to Disney+ at the moment but if you use Disney+ on a PC and just do a generic Wireshark capture for 10 minutes while watching something and then export the capture file and upload it here I can have a look and go through it to see what ports are being used. Shouldn't be any different to the ports the Firestick is using for it. This little guide will show you how to start the capture: https://www.howtogeek.com/104278/how-to-use-wireshark-to-capture-filter-and-inspect-packets/

Sorry for the delay. I've been very busy with work. That's the whole .pcaping file. My PC ends in 194 if that helps. Thanks.

Edited by Netduma Fraser
Removed file for security after download.

• Administrators

No worries, thanks a lot for doing that. Hopefully I've done this correctly, from what I can see these are the ports being used:

50133 seems to be the main one and then possibly it uses these other ones as well. Try them out, let me know and I can take another look again if needed.

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to filling this in?

I presume I'll be on the advanced tab of the service selector. 
I'll need to know what to put in the source and destination ports, start/end?
Also the protocol... TCP?

• Administrators

Yes that's right. Leave the source ports default so 1-65535 and just use TCP/UDP. I'd suggest 3 rules:

Source: 1-65535
Destination: 50133 - 50211
Protocol: TCP/UDP

Destination: 50883 - 50883

Destination: 55720 - 55720

Aghhh. Gutted.... This didn't work. I'm still getting the error message upon loading Disney + up.
"Disney+ is only available in certain regions. Depending  on where you are located, you may not be able to access Disney+".

• Administrators

Just to double check, have you selected Only VPN these services and then made those rules? Lets just double check this will work, make a rule like this and delete the others:

Destination: 1 - 65535

or choose Do NOT VPN these services and delete all the rules.

My mistake.... I hadn't set it as Only VPN these services. I'd done it the other way around as I thought those were the Disney+ ports that we didn't want to VPN.
So I deleted the rules and remade them with Only VPN these services. This worked but it also didn't VPN Netflix. Maybe Netflix uses the same ports?
I didn't try your last suggestion as I figured that the first actually does work but not as fully as I expected.

• Administrators

Sorry my mistake,  just to clarify,  do you want to apply the VPN to Disney+ specifically so you could try to get the American library or is it that you want to exclude it as it doesn't seem to work through the VPN but everything else on the Firestick goes through it? I may need to look into it further and get the trial myself if you wouldn't mind waiting a few days?

Unlike Netflix, I honestly think Disney+ is Geo-locked to the country of purchase. I also think the content is pretty much the same. The only difference are the release dates (The Mandalorian). So all that being said. If you could VPN Disney+, it just isn't worth it.

So I need to exclude Disney+ from the VPN while including everything else on the Firestick. If it's to much hassle, don't go to any extra effort just for me. I can do another wireshark if needed. 
I really appreciate your help.

• Administrators

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I've found the issue I think after just experimenting with Netflix for a test. In your file, I'm just seeing connections from you to the ISP, you're with Talktalk is that right? What's your physical setup as I'm thinking you may not have an open NAT which is maybe why I could see my connection to Netflix.

I'm with the Post Office. I've set the Duma up in the DMZ through their router and as far as I can tell, my nat is open. When I ran the wireshark, that was the only thing open in my browser. I'm guessing there might have been a few other programmes running in the background.

• Administrators

That's a bit strange then, could you do another capture please and just double check everything else isn't running? Also if you could start the capture prior to starting to stream that would be helpful as well. Then I can compare the two and see if there is any similarities/differences.

When you say nothing else running. You just mean just the laptop, right?

If so. I made a capture for 2 minutes after a restart of the laptop. Nothing else running. Then 4 minutes with Disney+.

• Administrators

Yes that's right, thanks for that.

Make a rule:

Source: 1 - 65535
Destination: 50024 - 50039

Port 50039 seems to be the main one so if that doesn't work then try a rule with it on its own.

OK... No joy with this at all. Sad times. Seems we've put a lot of effort into this with no result. I don't like giving up on a problem but I'm starting to think it can't be resolved.
Thanks for your help on this and if you come across a solution to this in the future, please pop a reply in here and let me know 👍

I've been playing around and running some more wiresharks on specific uk apps. One number I saw popping up a lot was 443.

I created the rule...
Source: 1 - 65535
Destination: 443 - 443

This seemed to stop every app running through the VPN, even though it was enabled. Changing the source numbers forced the VPN again.
Realising the source numbers are every port... Could the numbers we need to set be in the source? I'm just throwing it out there and I'm probably really wrong 😂

• Administrators

443 is a standard internet port for HTTPS so basically every device uses it, it's not specific to servers like this. Yeah try changing the source ports to mirror the destination ports I've given you previously and see if that works.