Firewall issue with R1 blocking work connection? Help please

Cajun72

Hi

Because of COVID 19 my wife has been asked to work from home so her IT dept say all she needs is to connect an ethernet from our home router into her work PC and she can access all her files from work.

Normally I connect the Netduma R1 to a plusnet hub router (As a modem only with it's wifi turned off) and leave the R1 settings optimised for gaming. e.g. QOS on, geo filter, Anti BB - sliders 70 for each, strict mode on, PS4 is in filtering devices and in devices bandwith allocation  PS4 download set to 50% (as I was downloading the update the other day).

UPNP is off as I port forward ports and also use priority ports for Call of Duty (Hyper traffic) . Open NAT type on PS4 and Call of Duty MW.

However it won't connect by plugging in the ethernet from the R1 to her pc?

It did work when we put the ethernet directly from the plusnet modem into her PC, however this morning she has tried again but it is not connecting for some reason.

To confirm I have Netduma R1 with Duma OS latest software.

I'm hoping there is a simple answer to this by hopefully switching something off/VPN settings and being able to connect her PC to the netduma or is there another way? 

Many Thanks and really appreciate your help in anticipation

BTW I hope Luke is enjoying fatherhood as I remember sending him some useful advice 4 years ago when he became a dad shortly after I did!  

• Administrators

Just to clarify, can the PC get an internet connection when the work VPN isn't being used or is it in both scenarios the internet won't work. If the first, have you disabled the DHCP server by any chance? If the latter, first thing to check would be to disable QoS completely from the Anti-Bufferbloat options. If it does then that's great but also indicates it's probably something we need to fix as a few people have had this before.

He is yes, thank you for asking!

Yes can get the PC to work without VPN.

I have DHCP enabled. Last night she tried and managed to connect to her work folders fine (through direct ethernet from plusnet modem to her PC).

I'll keep an eye on it to see if it works later on but I'm tempted to leave things be if it works by plugging it in direct to the modem if it can connect to her work folders. 

I'll let you know later if that's ok.

Many Thanks for now